Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I setup CPAP machine myself?
Sad 
Can I setup CPAP machine myself?
Hi everyone,

I had been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea by sleep study with prescription from doctor. Due to the high cost of CPAP machine in my country and no insurance cover, I had bought CPAP machine (Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset) from online oversea supplier. I skipped buying the CPAP mask online as I concern non-suitability of the mask. 

I never use CPAP machine before. Now, I faced the issue of having no knowledge of setting up the CPAP machine to get it ready for my therapy. If I bought the machine via local consultant, they can help me to setup and customise the machine to cater to my condition but come with a high price which I hardly can afford.

My doubt/issues are as below:-
1)  Can I learn to setup the machine to cater my condition via learning from internet? If so, can you provide any source of information.
2) I might decide to rent a mask to try out before I commit to buy a mask. As mask is expensive in my country. But the rent period for the mask is only 1 week for fixed rent. If I decide to extend the trial period, I need to pay another week rental. Since I have no knowledge to setup the machine for my condition, I might need to trial and error on the machine. So, if the therapy not going well, I will not know if it is due to not setting the machine correctly or the mask not suitable for me. This is my assumption.

Appreciate if anyone can help provide suggestion and possible solution for my doubt and issues as above mentioned?

If anyone have the same experience like me, please do share your solution.

Thanks

Hopeseeker
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Can I setup CPAP machine myself?
G'day Hopeseeker. Welcome to Apnea Board. You've come to the right place to learn all about apnea and managing your machine!

Yes, you can definitely learn to set up your own machine and monitor your own progress. You have purchased an excellent machine for obstructive sleep apnea - probably the best available. There is a wealth of information available here at Apnea Board, and members will be willing to help with any specific questions. The steps to take now are:
  1. Read the user manual that came with your machine and make sure you're familiar with the machine and how to assemble it.
  2. Get hold of the clinical manual for your machine. This will give you a lot more detailed information and how to access functions which users are lock out of (like setting pressures). You can get the manual from this link: https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual  Be sure to follow the instructions on that page exactly to make sure you get the right manual.
  3. Download and install OSCAR software. OSCAR is a program that gives you a LOT of detailed information about your therapy. Using the charts produced by Oscar you can seek guidance from the members here.
Initially set your machine as follows:
  • Minimum pressure: 7
  • Maximum pressure: 15
  • EPR: 3
  • Ramp: Off

Once you have a night or two with those settings, download the data to Oscar and post a "daily chart" to this forum for advice.

Regarding the mask - this is the hardest part of therapy, getting a mask which works for you. Many people try several masks before finding one that suits them. Have a read of the mask primer, which gives lots of good advice: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

Hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can I setup CPAP machine myself?
I agree with DeepBreathing.

Send the email to get the manual for your machine, and that will give you the info you need in order to set up your machine.

Regarding mask... that is a tough one. Renting for one week seems like a fair way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Testing sleep apnea using the CPAP machine browns4s 15 372 12-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Last Post: bonjour
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 141 129,321 12-11-2019, 09:45 PM
Last Post: MikeyT
  Using a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto as a Cpap machine? LookingForward 2 115 12-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Last Post: LookingForward
  [CPAP] Service Required Error Codes - Inner Workings of a CPAP machine SuperSleeper 20 102,428 12-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Last Post: abflbpsfl
  Newbie with setup questions for AirCurve 10 ASV WildSteelhead 50 985 11-20-2019, 10:15 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Is it possible for a foreigner to buy a CPAP machine using the prescription from heartrick 12 550 11-11-2019, 12:26 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  How does a CPAP machine identify CA events ? daviddm 22 663 11-10-2019, 01:38 AM
Last Post: daviddm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.