Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I switch DME supplier?
Can I switch DME supplier?
I've had my CPAP (Philips Dream Station Auto) for about 18 months.  It took a while but I'm finally used to it and now reliant on my machine for sleep.  Out of the blue a few weeks ago my machine started making a noise every time i exhaled.  The only thing I could compare it to is a kazoo.  The noise kept both my wife and I awake and she said it was just as bad as my snoring.  I tried to fix it a number of ways, changed hoses, masks, new filters, and with and without the humidifier.  I finally realized the sound was coming from inside the blower.  I knew the warranty was 2 years on my machine so I called my DME who said I'd have to bring it in.

Initially, the guy at the DME said he didn't hear anything, despite the fact that they had a very loud air conditioning system going.  I finally convinced him to shut it off, and then he heard it.  He was insistent that it was the humidifier, so they reluctantly got another one.  It still made the sound so he got his manager.  She claimed to not hear anything and the best she would do is send it for a repair that I would have to pay for.  I told her I knew what the warranty was and she got angry and said fine....if Respironics would give them an RA# they'd replace it.  Respironics talked to them on the phone for a few minutes, had them try a few things and then gave them an RA# and the DME go give me a NEW machine which they'd replace in their inventory.  The woman at the DME was now very angry and walked away, and the guy who originally was helping me came back with another machine that he packed up and told me was new. 

When I got home, I noticed the "new" machine had food stuck to the bottom of it despite looking mostly new, but didn't have any labels or the protective film over the display.  I went into the clinician menu and saw the it had 360 hours on it!!!  I called the DME back and the guy got all nervous and claimed that my insurance company (Aetna) tells them that any machine with less than 500 hours on it is considered new.  I was furious that they didn't disclose this to me and gave me an unsanitary machine.  I called Respironics myself and they told me that the DME should have given me a new machine because they were replacing the broken one with a brand new machine.  I called Aetna who also told me that was NOT their policy, so they conferenced the DME in who got even more nervous and told us that they'd send over a new machine sealed in the box, which they did the next day.  

I'm a little astounded that they were giving me a used machine (with food stuck on it no less) and then selling the new replacement machine Philips was sending.

After this, I don't want to do business with this DME, and they don't want to see me in there again, but it seems as though I have to stay with the company my machine came from?  How can I switch and have my compliance data and supply eligibility go to a new DME?  Any suggestions?  Any help is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can I switch DME supplier?
Yes, you can. You'll need a copy of your sleep study report and a copy of your prescription. Both of which you should keep on file anyway. The idiot DME should have it. If not, contact the doc who gave you the diagnosis and/or prescription and request a copy.

In the meantime, since your insurance behaved appropriately, you can call them and ask who is in their network or whatever.

Send in a Better Business Bureau review/complaint. Do it on Google, Yelp, and anywhere else you can think of.

Before you forget the who, what, and where, write all that down so you have it on file. Who you spoke to when about what from when you first took your machine in until they gave you an unopened box.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to make sure before you move to a new DME that they deal with Philips Respironics machines.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Both replies have excellent advice. Your insurance customer service will tell you of the DMEs in network nearby. Do research on those, and then choose your new DME. Do make sure you've got the sleep study and script in writing. Present copies of those to the DME.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good question; good answers.

I changed DME's in Ontario Canada. I asked everyone I met at work if they were happy with their DME....I found my original supplier to be argumentative, offer no choices, and very stressful. I also had a sleep doc from h-ll. The new DME has provided incredible service and help. I finally feel I'm on a path to wellness.
Difference is night and day...
I live in the Greater Toronto Area. I travel to Burlington to buy masks and service. I bought my current cpap from a co-worker who refused to use it. It's a good machine. I bought it used. My DME verified my settings.

My sleep doc from h-ll finally retired; I had seen him for 12 years. I regret I didn't fire him after the first meeting. I went without a sleep doc for a few years...

I finally got a referral to a new sleep doc from my family physician (he was about to retire himself. My concern was that I needed a referral to find a sleep doc, so I accepted his choice. I've had a sleep study, but have had no follow-up since then. I need the results from the sleep study, and the two prescriptions promised to me (1 for pressure; 1 for masks, and service)

Here in Canada the sleep doc would prefer I was absolutely ignorant; he wants to sell me a new machine, and masks. He would choose them; I'd have no choice.

I truly prefer the DME that I chose after talking to many people about their level of care. I would have preferred a referral to a real sleep doc from one of those people.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
My DME (in downtown Toronto) has told me that we don't need a prescription for masks and other supplies - only for the machine.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
As mentioned, all you need to do is contact Aetna for a list of DME suppliers they contract with that are convenient for you. Contact the DME supplier you choose. Given what happened, I'd be inclined to interview the manager just to make sure such things don't happen with them. Then, all you have to do is give them the name of your current DME and they can contact them for the information.

I don't blame you for not wanting to continue with that DME. I'm puzzled though as to why she was so angry. Warranty repairs shouldn't be dinging their numbers - in fact, they should enhance it because they have a happy customer who didn't have to pay to get their machine fixed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2018, 10:05 AM)DaveL Wrote: Good question; good answers.

I changed DME's in Ontario Canada.  I asked everyone I met at work if they were happy with their DME....I found my original supplier to be argumentative, offer no choices, and very stressful.  I also  had a sleep doc from h-ll. The new DME has provided incredible service and help. I finally feel I'm on a path to wellness.
Difference is night and day...
I live in the Greater Toronto Area. I travel to Burlington to buy masks and service.  I bought my current cpap from a co-worker who refused to use it. It's a good machine. I bought it used. My DME verified my settings.

My sleep doc from h-ll finally retired; I had seen him for 12 years. I regret I didn't fire him after the first meeting. I went without a sleep doc for a few years...

I finally got a referral to a new sleep doc from my family physician (he was about to retire himself. My concern was that I needed a referral to find a sleep doc, so I accepted his choice. I've had a sleep study, but have had no follow-up since then. I need the results from the sleep study, and the two prescriptions promised to me (1 for pressure; 1 for masks, and service)

Here in Canada the sleep doc would prefer I was absolutely ignorant; he wants to sell me a new machine, and masks.  He would choose them; I'd have no choice.

I truly prefer the DME that I chose after talking to many people about their level of care.  I would have preferred a referral to a real sleep doc from one of those people.

I am in Alberta. I didn't even get to see my sleep doc. Following a referral from a family doc, I had a two night take home sleep test done. This was through a sleep clinic/DME. I couldn't even get a prescription from the sleep clinic. Only an APAP at a rip off price ($2500 for AS10 Autoset, heated hose and a nasal mask and extended 5 year warranty on the APAP unit). Bought my backup APAP with a prescription from my family doc a few months later...AS10 for her and slimline hose for $805 and free shipping from a Canadian online CPAP dealer.

I do my own adjustments after a RT at the DME was causing vertigo issues with me after raising my pressures.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 61 04-18-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,226 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Trigger Setting Switch - Aircurve 10 MrIvanDrago 4 157 04-09-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 223 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,282 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Switch to AirSense VAuto for UARS/low AHI lexit957 1 329 01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 549 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.