Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I use my ResMed A10 Autoset to test AHI?
RE: Can I use my ResMed A10 Autoset to test AHI?
(09-20-2014, 04:00 PM)herbm Wrote: Many people are VERY UNCOMFORTABLE at pressure lower than about 8 (or even 10) and just can't tolerate having this "little air flow".

I also think those Pulse Ox tests are better than they are given credit -- there are some issues with them, but when we consider that WITHOUT low saturation events, OSA would probably be pretty irrelevant.

Re first quote, can you tell me more about this?
Never heard that or experienced it myself.

Re the SPO2, I did home tests with one (the kind that records sll night and uploads through USB cable) and found my O2 levels were just fine without CPAP, and actually worse with it. When I confronted my sleep doc, he said, "So what? O2 levels aren't everything. It's the respiratory-effort-related arousals that keep awakening you, disturbing your sleep, and straining your heart that are the problem."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm this thread is interesting to me due to my situation. I was diagnosed with mild/mod sleep apnea by sleep study (original AHI 10) and prescribed a pressure of 6-16 for the first month in order to get an idea where my pressures sat to narrow down a range/set pressure.

At first everything was going swimmingly with a low AHI (0.4-0.6) and no real problems but as the weeks have gone on (I'm about 6 weeks in) I have noticed discomfort in my chest like I am working hard to breathe (even during the day) and gassiness. I also have had issues with the pressure shooting up and the mask leaking some nights and waking me up.

I tried setting my pressure 4-4 and I found it really comfortable and my AHI stayed exactly the same 0.4 for the week I have been using this setting.

I guess this shows that the pressure of 4 can treat some peoples OSA. I expected to have my events increased when I dropped it, I just wanted to see if my discomfort disappeared. either that, or I have been misdiagnosed :-).
Post Reply Post Reply
abagail_32, It would be important to check the graphs on your SH software readout, especially the one titled "Flow Limit.". If your flow limitations are minimal (less than .15 possibly), your apnea events could very well be handled by the reduced pressure. That's conjecture and nobody can say for certain without having more data, such as all the SH graphs.

If you want a better opinion, start a new thread of your own and post your current SH results. It would also help to see earlier SH results for comparison, especially of a night when you stated that the pressure increased to the point of mask leakage. That occurrence might be significant when viewed in comparison with flow limitations..
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2014, 09:29 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: abagail_32, It would be important to check the graphs on your SH software readout, especially the one titled "Flow Limit.". If your flow limitations are minimal (less than .15 possibly), your apnea events could very well be handled by the reduced pressure. That's conjecture and nobody can say for certain without having more data, such as all the SH graphs.

If you want a better opinion, start a new thread of your own and post your current SH results. It would also help to see earlier SH results for comparison, especially of a night when you stated that the pressure increased to the point of mask leakage. That occurrence might be significant when viewed in comparison with flow limitations..

Thanks surfer dude. I have an earlier thread on this topic but have not put on graphs as I do have the post count to put them up yet (or to link to the thread). I will when I can.

In terms of this thread I was interested to see what people thought as far as far as getting an idea of whether you had SA by sleeping with a low pressure for a night. I guess if the machine picks up a heap of events and clearly need more pressure then you obviously have it, but if you have a good number at the pressure you have chosen,is it because you have treated it or because you don't have it??
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 498 7 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 126 11 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 487 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 218 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 214 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.