Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I use my ResMed A10 Autoset to test AHI?
RE: Can I use my ResMed A10 Autoset to test AHI?
What was her respiratory rate during the night?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2014, 09:45 AM)herbm Wrote: Is it possible the low pressure managed a real case of OSA? Yes, but not likely a significant one.

I disagree with that assumption in general.

Post some graphs. The fact that the machine increased the pressure to 6 means the machine thinks it saw something wrong.

What pressure range did you use?

The test was still worthwhile. If it had shown apneas, that would have been a pretty good indication of problems. You'd be wrong to rule out apnea based on a 4 cm CPAP test.

It's like asking someone if they snore a lot. If they know that they snore, it's a good sign to get checked. If they don't snore, it doesn't mean they're in the clear.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2014, 03:54 PM)herbm Wrote: Headache -- pretty much as usual.

Since there were essentially no real events it is HIGHLY unlikely the machine helped her.
Real or not, there were 1 event per hour and pressure ramp up to 6 , this is an indication that there is something going on

Also the events that the machine managed to prevent don't get flagged

If were me, I get my old China to the sleep lab asap, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
Consider also that perhaps she did not get into deep sleep at all or barely slept, or very lightly slept, or didn't sleep at all. Perhaps she chose not to complain to you about that, not wanting to disappoint you.

If that be true, then the test is a flop. To make any sort of sleep test meaningful, you would have to know if the person actually slept. Unfortunately the sleep software can't do that. The fact that she reported that you were snoring is significant since it proves that at least some period of time she was awake and you were sleeping. There might be a message there.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, she slept and slept well.

Of course, she was awake SOME of the time; she woke up and went to the bathroom.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 08:43 AM)herbm Wrote: No, she slept and slept well.

Of course, she was awake SOME of the time; she woke up and went to the bathroom.

That's reassuring Herb. That and the fact that you are running the S9 in Auto mode makes a strong argument, especially if you used software to analyze the results carefully and detected few flow restrictions. Still not a lab test and the morning headaches are a worry factor that needs to be addressed by a medical pro.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I did that of course.

She has been dealing with a variety of symptoms that overlap with OSA symptoms for years with no significant help from various medical professionals.

This was by far my main reason(s) for thinking she possibly had OSA rather than her minimal snoring and POSSIBLE breathing cessation (which I never was 100% certain was occurring.)

Tiredness, headaches, foggy headed, that type of stuff, though she takes a LOT of medicines for various chronic ailments as well -- some of which can cause at least some of these symptoms.

Allergies and/or sinus issues are in the mix and possibly responsible for the headaches.

Though some of the chronic health issues are ALSO associated with OSA in some studies as well.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 09:05 AM)surferdude2 Wrote:
(09-22-2014, 08:43 AM)herbm Wrote: Of course, she was awake SOME of the time; she woke up and went to the bathroom.

That's reassuring Herb.

............and it's reassuring to us that Mrs. Herb woke up and went to the bathroom because?????????

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 10:23 AM)herbm Wrote: Allergies and/or sinus issues are in the mix and possibly responsible for the headaches.

So very true and they are aggravated by being in the prone position. Side sleepers often notice that the nostril on the lower side gets plugged so the sleep position is important there as well as in sleep apnea.

There are nasal sprays (corticosteroids) that work well for that sort of thing. I use Nasacort (previous prescription product, now OTC) with great results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have one of those Nasal corticoid sprays which I use intermittently (I think Carol does as well.)

Interestingly, my "lower nostril" (side sleeping) PLUGGED SOLID during the night without my machine. This is the first time in many months, maybe almost all year since starting APAP therapy.

My policy has been to ALWAYS use the machine so this was the very first time to spend a night without (in order to let Carol try it.)

And even though my AHI has been up a bit (1-4 up from well under 1 for many months) since the hip pain and then opiods, last night (after a night off for her to try it) was my first FULL NIGHT with a 0.0 in pretty much forever.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 498 8 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 126 Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 488 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 218 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 214 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.