Machine: airsense10
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: resmed mirage 4
Humidifier: integrated in machine
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Learning

Sex: Male

RE: Can I use tap water in the humidifier?
EVERYBODY: Thanks

I have learn a lot with your answers.

Ralph.
08-13-2016 08:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Ockrocket Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Dreamstation.
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson.
Humidifier: Philips Dreamstation.
CPAP Pressure: 7.0

Other Comments:

(08-13-2016 08:16 AM)natyprueba Wrote:  EVERYBODY: Thanks

Ralph.

Now all you have to do is decide which of us idiots you are going to take the advice of.
Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lot
08-13-2016 08:26 AM
Rcgop Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: installed
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 - 10.0 / EPR 2

Other Comments:

One last comment.
My water comes from a well. It is so hard, showering is like being sand blasted clean. So, we have a water softener to take out the minerals but that adds salt. I use distilled water not for germs, mold, etc. but because it's soooo cheap and my tank stays clean ans maintenance free.

HuhDont-knowI am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
08-13-2016 09:34 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

I use tap water since I'm drinking quite a bit of it daily and it hasn't killed me yet. When I was growing up, everyone at home and at school drank from the same dipper, but I digress.

Cleaning my humidifier has never been one of my important issues and I do it when needed (i.e., once in a while). Worrying about my humidifier has never kept me awake nights like some of the other issues associated with apnea does.

Dude
08-13-2016 09:47 AM
richb Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built in
CPAP Pressure: Epap 6 Ipap 8 Auto ASV

Other Comments: Idiopathic Central Apnea

I started using distilled water but switched to tap water about 4 months ago. I thoroughly rinse out my tank with hot water then fill with cold tap water. I use a little over half a tank in one night. I have very hard water but get no mineral build up. This also makes travel easier as I don't need to transport water.

Rich

Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
08-13-2016 11:07 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

Not all tap water is the same. Where I live we pipe out of lakes that result from drainage from a rain forest. Since it's basically rainwater it is very low in mineral content, though not as low as distilled water. Probably that water would be fine.

But if you live in a continental interior and you get your water from a river a long way from it's source or a lake that is fed by very long rivers, your water will contain lots of minerals and be "hard". I learned about "hard" water when I lived in Toronto and found that soap curdled in my bath! Also well water will generally be "hard". If I still lived in T.O. no way would I use that water in my humidifier.

Paradoxically "hard" water is actually better for you because of the mineral content.

In general the further your water runs in rivers or lakes before it gets to your tap the harder it will be because it has lots of time to accumulate dissolved minerals. Also, anything in a bottle labled "mineral water" will have, surprise, a lot of minerals in it.

At least this is how I understand things.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
08-13-2016 09:18 PM
Jim Bronson Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Elite
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 9.2

Other Comments:

(08-13-2016 09:18 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:  Not all tap water is the same. Where I live we pipe out of lakes that result from drainage from a rain forest. Since it's basically rainwater it is very low in mineral content, though not as low as distilled water. Probably that water would be fine.

But if you live in a continental interior and you get your water from a river a long way from it's source or a lake that is fed by very long rivers, your water will contain lots of minerals and be "hard". I learned about "hard" water when I lived in Toronto and found that soap curdled in my bath! Also well water will generally be "hard". If I still lived in T.O. no way would I use that water in my humidifier.

Paradoxically "hard" water is actually better for you because of the mineral content.

In general the further your water runs in rivers or lakes before it gets to your tap the harder it will be because it has lots of time to accumulate dissolved minerals. Also, anything in a bottle labled "mineral water" will have, surprise, a lot of minerals in it.

At least this is how I understand things.
If you've never had San Pellegrino water, you need to give it a try. It picks up minerals over a long journey and becomes naturally carbonated. The company also adds some carbonation. It is an excellent mineral water.

I use distilled because the water here is very hard with enough minerals to turn my shower stall chalky white within a week or two.

I learned the lesson using my waterpik. The wand clogs up after a few months with tap water. There's no way to clean it so it has to be replaced. Even running vinegar through it doesn't work.

On a cautionary note, if you use tap water, and it clogs the machine internally, the manufacturer could deny a warranty claim.

If you begin to see mineral deposits in the tub, there are lots of products that will remove it. There's seldom any need to replace it.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2016 10:56 PM by Jim Bronson.)
08-13-2016 10:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
natyprueba Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: airsense10
Mask Make & Model: resmed mirage 4
Humidifier: integrated in machine
CPAP Pressure: 12

Other Comments: Learning

(08-13-2016 08:26 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:  
(08-13-2016 08:16 AM)natyprueba Wrote:  EVERYBODY: Thanks

Ralph.

Now all you have to do is decide which of us idiots you are going to take the advice of.
Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lot
Hello Ockrocket.
I take very serious this forum because when I began over here 2 months ago and I didn't know nothing about this new world. I don't have any kind of medical education and in this forum there are a lot of guys and ladies with a lot of knowledge about the mask, the
machines, software, etc.
In this particular case I reach my goal. Is better for me to be 100% in the safe side and use distilled water, but that doesn't mean that if I run out of water I can use tap water with out problem or remorse.
ralph.
08-14-2016 12:23 PM
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

Thanks for this info, Payton. Great-info

(08-12-2016 11:13 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  For anyone that is interested, there is a difference between distilled water and the water vapor that comes from your humidifier. Most distilled water is steam distilled which means that the water is going to the condenser as steam. Do you see steam in your hose? Since with steam distillation the water is boiled it can take larger things with it as well as the boiling being able to actually throw some things out of the water to get taken up by the steam.

In the humidifier, no boiling is going on and it is dependent on the partial pressure of the water at the temperature at which it is maintained to get water molecules to go into solution in the air passing by. Humidity is water molecules in solution in the air. It is similar in appearance to when you dissolve a little salt in water. You can not see the dissolved salt. Since it is one water molecule at a time going into the air the size of anything that can go with it is much smaller than with distillation of water. For this reason "algae or microscopic amoeba" will not be carried over from the tank although they can grow in the tank. There are some organic chemicals that have a high enough partial pressure at humidifier temperatures to go with the water vapor.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
08-14-2016 12:44 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(08-13-2016 10:52 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote:  On a cautionary note, if you use tap water, and it clogs the machine internally, the manufacturer could deny a warranty claim.

If you begin to see mineral deposits in the tub, there are lots of products that will remove it. There's seldom any need to replace it.

Agree with most of your comment, but the only component that could be affected by mineral deposits is the humidifier tub. That said, my assertion that I have always used tap water is facilitated by the fact I have always had access to good quality tap water with relatively low hardness. Municipal water supplies must add calcium or magnesium to increase hardness if water is very soft. Extremely soft water tends to be corrosive to pipes, which is what carried lead from supply lines, to the tap in places like Flint.

08-14-2016 01:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you use a humidifier? zonk 13 5,773 Yesterday 11:31 PM
Last Post: pk53
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 887 12-07-2016 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 475 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 5 633 11-12-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Gunk and grit in humidifier. MrEGuy 11 533 11-07-2016 12:49 AM
Last Post: cands
  [Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question keithb4158 6 396 11-02-2016 05:13 AM
Last Post: keithb4158
  [Equipment] Water tub maintenance for ResMed S9 Elite Maggie 9 373 10-30-2016 01:53 PM
Last Post: Maggie