Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Nasal or Pillow Mask Handle 13-16 cm pressure?
Can Nasal or Pillow Mask Handle 13-16 cm pressure?
Hi guys, I am presently using a full face mask, as recommended in the result of my sleep study. Lately, I've seen lots of masks leaks with the very comfortable AirTouch F20 cushion. Not its fault, as I mostly just slept right through it. When I did wake up due to the leak, I would wipe the oil on my face and readjust the mask. But 16 cm is really quite a blast.

I was wondering if perhaps a nasal or pillow mask can also be an option, but I have no idea how it would hold up under 16 cm pressure. I don't have the privilege of trying out masks here in my place, so I would appreciate if you can share your opinion for my reference. For now, I am interested in the Wisp Nasal mask and the Dreamwear Nasal Mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can Nasal or Pillow Mask Handle 13-16 cm pressure?
(03-10-2019, 09:08 PM)ramphil2019 Wrote: I don't have the privilege of trying out masks here in my place,

I believe different online suppliers have policies that allow you to try different masks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Force = pressure * area,  The bigger the mask the more force trying to help it leave your face.  The other part of leaks is fit.  A lot of users overtighten to fix leaks, which distorts the mask seal and causes leaks.  I did 6 years with a nasal mask (Mirage Activa) that fit right at 19 cmw.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2019, 09:08 PM)ramphil2019 Wrote: Hi guys, I am presently using a full face mask, as recommended in the result of my sleep study. Lately, I've seen lots of masks leaks with the very comfortable AirTouch F20 cushion. Not its fault, as I mostly just slept right through it. When I did wake up due to the leak, I would wipe the oil on my face and readjust the mask. But 16 cm is really quite a blast.

I was wondering if perhaps a nasal or pillow mask can also be an option, but I have no idea how it would hold up under 16 cm pressure. I don't have the privilege of trying out masks here in my place, so I would appreciate if you can share your opinion for my reference. For now, I am interested in the Wisp Nasal mask and the Dreamwear Nasal Mask.

Online is the way to go if you can't get the service you need from a local DME dealer. Most of the online stores offer to take the mask back within 30 days or so.

Regarding a nasal cushion or nasal pillow mask, the manufacturers rate them for how much pressure they can handle. But a word of caution - their ratings are usually overly optimistic. And getting an online supplier to give you the rating, well good luck. As a case in point, I recently bought a Fisher & Paykel Brevida, which they rate at up to 25cmH2o. So far the highest pressure I've thrown at it is 22cmH20, and it leaks all over the place. I may be returning it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2019, 09:08 PM)ramphil2019 Wrote: Hi guys, I am presently using a full face mask, as recommended in the result of my sleep study. Lately, I've seen lots of masks leaks with the very comfortable AirTouch F20 cushion. Not its fault, as I mostly just slept right through it. When I did wake up due to the leak, I would wipe the oil on my face and readjust the mask. But 16 cm is really quite a blast.

I have been using the Airfit P10 (a pillows mask) for about two  weeks.   My minimum is set to 14 cmw;   my median last night was 14.6 and for 95% of time it was below 15.6;  my maximum was 16.2.  This pillows mask works fine and I normally have very little leaks with no large leaks.  So, it can handle the pressure.

I believe one of the main reasons to use a FFM is when one tends to breathe from the mouth.  I'm sure there are other reasons as well.  If you can breathe from your nose only, there are lots of advantages to using a nasal mask or a pillows mask.  Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2019, 11:39 PM)JJJ Wrote: As a case in point, I recently bought a Fisher & Paykel Brevida, which they rate at up to 25cmH2o. So far the highest pressure I've thrown at it is 22cmH20, and it leaks all over the place. I may be returning it.

If you got the starter kit, it should have come with 2 different nasal pillows -- XS/S and M/L.  These definitely should go inside the nostril a bit, not sit on the edge.  So perhaps using whichever size you're not using would help?  You've probably already done this, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Nuance (non-Pro) and have pressure set to 15-20. Works fine. Love this mask.

I've tried various full face masks and even a total face mask but the leaks were just too much.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was previously using the Airfit F20 mask with too many face-farts waking me up.  The Airtouch is more comfortable but much worse for leaks so it was quickly abandoned.   Used P10 pillows for awhile with good luck as long as my sinuses are clear.  Pillow masks are much better for high pressure since the seal area is much smaller than full face.  Now I'm using a Dreamwear pillow mask and it's,  so far, the best of all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there. 

I used the AirFit P10 with a pressure range of 12-15 (average nightly pressure around 13) and I have no problems at all. The only leaks I have are when I try to jam my face into my pillow and move the mask around. 

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,226 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.