Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Nasal or Pillow Mask Handle 13-16 cm pressure?
RE: Can Nasal or Pillow Mask Handle 13-16 cm pressure?
Hi guys, I appreciate all the thoughts. I ordered a Dreamwear nasal mask from amazon, waiting for it to arrive. I understand a chin strap is needed for mouth breathers wanting to use nasal or pillows mask, so I ordered that, too. I will give a feedback as soon as I have used it for a few nights. For the time being, I'm alternating between the F20 AirFit and AirTouch full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does a chinstrap actually seal the lips?
Post Reply Post Reply
reading about people's experiences here suggests chins straps work for some. for others, many straps pull the chin/lower jaw back, counter-productively worsening airway constriction. depending on the mask you use, chinstraps can potentially affect mask fit by pinching or expanding headgear but maybe that just requires some adjustment.

I opted for the soft cervical collar a despite similar concern. intuitively it made sense to me that a collar would help jaw-drop (which isn't really a problem for me) but I doubted it would help with lip leaks. I was wrong even if I can't explain why. while I'd prefer not to wear the darn thing and it's not 100% effective, the bottom line is that I can't pap without the collar due to mouth leaks.

others here may be able to tell you which straps are less likely to pull chin and jaw backwards, if that becomes a problem for you. let us know it works out for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
My amazon order for the dreamwear nasal mask arrived and I used it last night. My subjective answer to my own question is, yes. It can handle the 16cm pressure and I am satisfied with my experience with it, overall. I'll just post a new thread on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2019, 12:43 PM)Needhelp2 Wrote: Does a chinstrap actually seal the lips?

Short answer: no. It's job is to keep the jaw in the closed position.

Long answer: Chin straps keep the jaw in position by pulling up and, as a byproduct of design, it also pulls back. For many people, this works just fine. Where it "fails" is for folks who have to keep it tight in order to keep the jaw closed. This tightness can pull the jaw backward (toward the neck vs toward the eyes) and cause TMJ. In that case, there are yet more alternatives. Some folks here have found cervical collars work well and has a double benefit. Not only does it assist in keeping the jaw closed, but it also keeps them from bending the chin forward (which "pinches" the throat and contributes to apnea events).

If your issue is lip leaking (jaw is closed but air leaks out lips), then there are ways to help with that. There's a tongue trick (someone remind me who has the link on their signature???). And there's the PAPcap (review). The PAPCap is a cloth chin strap designed to keep the cheeks from inflating which, in theory, should keep air from leaking out the lips. This worked for me. After using for a while, the lip leaking stopped. Once or twice a year, it restarts. Because I was tired of all the gear on my head, I switch between my nasal pillows and a full face mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, paulao2, helpful post.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2019, 12:34 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 12:43 PM)Needhelp2 Wrote: Does a chinstrap actually seal the lips?

Short answer: no. It's job is to keep the jaw in the closed position.

Thanks for the info. I did order a cervical collar and when it arrives I will try the nasal mask again. It can handle the 16 cm pressure but now I know the problem was not the mask but keeping my mouth breathing under control. I should have known, but well, I wanted to try. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F20 on 15-19, I find it works best really cranked down and avoids 'face farts' waking you up - I wear the cheek marks as the mark of the hose-head with pride !

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 158 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 526 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,227 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.