Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP
Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP
I'm happy to say I think I'm making progress.  I'm pretty sure that I have discovered that I'm experience Palatal Prolapse on Exhale based on what my waveforms look like from Sleepyhead.  Right now, I'm using a TAP PAP mask, which I truly love (I've modified it by the way by adding a store-bought mouthpiece which I've glued to the TAP PAP mouthpiece creating my version of TAP PAP's CS.  I just wasn't willing to fork out the money since I'm still experimenting and trying to treat my apnea.  I mouth tape too and use Polygrip on the bottom portion of the mouthpiece to help me keep my Damned mouth shut.  I had slowly increased my CPAP pressures from the original 8cm as prescribed from titration study to 15cm trying to open up the pathway to correct the breathing pattern as shown in these pictures and as much as I've increased pressure, it seems the pattern still occurs and was making me more uncomfortable (chipmunk cheeks, stopped up ears, etc.).  I've read on the forums and elsewhere about Palatal Prolapse on exhale and am still following Terrigal's post here as she seems to have the same thing.  My question now, is will the CPAP machine I have treat this?  I've changed my settings to C-Flex+ on my Dreamstation Auto, to allow for 3EPR and that seemed to help a little with the Chipmunk Cheeks.  Looking for any input from all you more knowledgeable folks, and whether I should try and convince my Doctor to put my on BIPAP.  My insurance sucks (OBUMMERCARE), so I'll probably have to do this out-of-pocket as I have so far.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP
I just noticed that my uploads didn't show my AHI.  It was .47, so glad.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope I get some replies to this
Post Reply Post Reply
Really interesting chart, especially the close up of the flow rate. You have very crisp inhales with no suggestion of flow limitation, then exhale just flat-lines. The air has to go somewhere, and I suspect it is somewhat accounted for in the leak rate, however in the image you posted the excess leak is essentially zero. This is kind of rare, so it would help to hear your explanation of what this feels like and what is happening to the exhaled air.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I had an explanation.  Was hoping you guys would be able to shed some light.  The only thing is out my mouth or my......well, you know.

Last nights data attached

Post Reply Post Reply
What was I thinking?
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the thing. We're aware of PP as an issue, and have seen in in a few individuals. At the "forum science" level we rely on everything from anecdotal to journal reports of success and failures, cause and effect, or whatever you want to call it. We have no primary research capability, and in this case, the professionals have not researched the issue, and not enough members have experimented with alternatives to let us draw the anecdotal conclusions. In other words, we are not terribly smart, but we have gathered the experience of many members and are aware of the published studies enough to sometimes appear to be smart. That was an apology or another way of saying I don't know.

The logical options for experimentation are either increased pressure or pressure support, but we don't know which one, or if either will be effective.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply, SleepRider.  I was beginning to think that I had P*ssed you off somehow or just got off on the wrong foot with you guys.  That has not been my intention.  I'm still taping my mouth, and even though I do still have some leak issues, they don't seem to be happening during these periods.  Attachments below.  I turned on the PRS01 fields which seem to do some flagging, but can't tell if its related or not.  Right now I'm researching Pulse Oximeters to see if that will give me an indication of what is happening during these timeframes.  Was hoping on buying the Contec CMS50IW, but can't find it anywhere online.  Maybe I could buy directly from the company, but they don't post prices on their website.

Anyway, thank you all for your time, and I will continue to post from time to time so that others may stumble across my post and either gain insight into their own issues or offer direction.

Hope you have a good day and God Bless!

Post Reply Post Reply
I still can't find any articles or helpful suggestions on treating the PP. I would be interested to see if something like a nasal stent might work (search Alexo Stent), but the device is not specifically recommended other than for obstructive sleep apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
if you haven't already, search username yrnkrn who reported on this topic a while back and I believe determined through experimentation that pressure had little effect in their case. disappointing to me because both my wife and I have sporadic problems exhaling through the nose, presumably due to a floppy soft palette.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palatal Prolapse and Velumount zaienk 15 868 7 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  One machine says I'm treated, another suggests I'm not shawsg 5 184 03-10-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,688 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Does this indicate palate prolapse? ekirtz 2 366 12-20-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: zaienk
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 854 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.