Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP
RE: Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP
(02-17-2020, 09:43 AM)NightVigil Wrote:  
Surgery options: Radiofrequency treatment of the soft palate and uvula (uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)), also the "pillar Procedure". Both very promising - pillar procedure seems to be reversible, even.

My daughter had the UPPP procedure when she was 18. It helped for the first few months. But it all grew back and she was back to the CPAP. Would love to know a more permanent solution.

Cheers,
Damian.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I'd like to join your WhatsApp group re: OSA/ palatial prolapse.  Can you send me details?

Thanks,

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Geer1,

I know this is an old thread - but I'm desperate so I thought I would jump in an add my two cents.  

I think your analogy to a partially closed door is a good one to help visualize the problem, but with some tweaks.  We're in a room with a partially closed door and we need to vent the room of smoke.  We have a fan blowing in to help keep the door open.  But since we need to exhaust the room, we need a fan blowing out (lungs) to create a pressure greater than the external fan in order to accomplish that.  Whatever pressure the fan blowing in creates, there must be a net outward pressure on the door to vent the room - which will push the door closed.

In short, the external fan is useless.

I've have had a DICE procedure to confirm the problem is retro-palatial blockage and many years being awakened repeatedly as my palate flops closed on exhale.  I even experience this when I lie on my back and relax.  

My doctor wants to do a modified expansion sphincter pharyngoplasty and I would desperately like to avoid this.

Have you (or anyone) found a conservative solution that works?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2021, 12:17 PM)JimRobert Wrote: Hi,

I'd like to join your WhatsApp group re: OSA/ palatial prolapse.  Can you send me details?

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jim, the link is a cuttly link: https colon double-slash cutt.ly slash YrVlWF1

Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2021, 12:46 PM)JimRobert Wrote: I've have had a DICE procedure to confirm the problem is retro-palatial blockage and many years being awakened repeatedly as my palate flops closed on exhale.  I even experience this when I lie on my back and relax.  

Have you (or anyone) found a conservative solution that works?

Question: Did the (you probably meant "DISE") confirm the retro-palatal prolapse?

As for a conservative solution. Look into Velumount - if you can get it, it will probably give you some relief. I've been using it a couple of months now and the difference has been day and night. While probably not a great permanent solution, it will give you time to find a cure.

NightVigil
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2021, 01:20 PM)NightVigil Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 12:17 PM)JimRobert Wrote: Hi,

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jim, the link is a cuttly link: https colon double-slash cutt.ly slash YrVlWF1

Hope that helps.

Thanks for this link - one document, correct? Any treatments for this issue?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2020, 09:43 AM)NightVigil Wrote: I think I have palatal prolapse as well (for 10+ years) and thanks to this post and another one over at the  [[ Auto Word Filter: links to DME-owned sites not allowed ]]  forums, I was finally able to identify my issue as palatal prolapse. Other terms I've come across during my research are:

* Expiratory palatal obstruction (EPO) (This is what Dr. Steven Park refers to on his blog. He has an article about it and I encourage you to read it, very insightful stuff.)
* Expiratory velopharyngeal obstruction

* Soft-palatal / palatal obstruction
* Obstructive palatal prolapse

Needless to say, that after a decade of insomnia, I'm eager to find a solution and wanted to let you guys know, that I have created a WhatsApp group for this purpose.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to post links as a new member, but I'll give you two tips. 1: Cuttly (this is an URL shortening service) and 2: ZrVxQ60  :-)

I made a list of possible solutions (which I have gathered from different forums and sites):

CPAP therapy: Some people have found that enabling the expiratory pressure relief (EPR) (C-Flex on Philips) setting on your CPAP machine makes things worse for EPO. This makes sense, since pressure is the thing that is keeping your excess tissue in place upon exhalation. Unfortunately that means, that people that suffer from EPO cannot use this setting. Obviously CPAP relies on a closed loop system and this only works if you can keep a good seal. If you are using a nasal mask and your mouth keeps opening, look into mouth-taping. I'm not sure yet, if a full face mask will do good for EPO, but I remain skeptical, because you'd want the pressure behind your velum / tongue area and not in front of it for it to stay out of the nasopharynx. APAP, BiPAP, ASV are probably not a good solution because of the same problem (like EPR), but that's just my personal opinion. I have not experimented with these.

Nasal stents: AlaxoStent / Nastent. Not tried 'em yet.

MAT Body positioning system / Massage table with face cradle - not tried, either. Might be worth a try.

Mandibular advancement devices - Haven't tried one, but if I move my lower jaw forward, I can still very reliably reproduce the EPO - so I suspect it's of no good use for this special problem.

Velumount / Ronchex: These are basically clips made of wire in silicone tubing that are supposed to stabilizing your velum and uvula during sleep - currently looking into this!

Shifting your sleep position: Sleeping on your side (lateral position) seems to be better. This makes sense to me, because gravity will not additionally pull your uvula/velum back into your throat (like in subpine position). I have never been able to fall asleep in subpine position.

Playing Didgeridoo (combined with 'circular breathing') is said to help as this trains muscles in the respective areas. Might look into this.

Surgery options: Radiofrequency treatment of the soft palate and uvula (uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)), also the "pillar Procedure". Both very promising - pillar procedure seems to be reversible, even.

Please let me know, if you have found something that works for you or if I have forgotten something which I could add to this list.

I have a sleep study due in march and hope that I get more insight as to what I might do about it. My sleep has been really bad the last few months and it sure as hell can't stay that way. Now that I finally understand what the problem is, I'll put every energy I can raise towards finding a solution. Please help and consider joining my WhatsApp group. Let's science the sh*t out of this!

NightVigil

@NightVigil - are you suggesting that using the "MAT Body positioning system / Massage table with face cradle" while sleeping on your stomach would be helpful? I imagine lying facedown would help the palate from falling backward.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is an interesting case of palatal prolapse becoming complete expiratory flow limitation of about -7 L/min.
Dreamwear Gel Pillows mask, taped mouth, Resmed ASV modality, EPAP=4, PS=4 on the left to PS=2 on the right.
Resmed does not consider epxiratory flow limitation a problem, so flow limitation was zero all the way.

Post Reply Post Reply
yrnkrn, is there something odd about oscar or your settings? your profile says aircurve 10 but oscar reports airsense 10 autoset with asv mode, n/a for ps, epap 4, max ipap 3? your ipap pressure graph indicates up to about 10 cmw. none of that makes sense to me. autoset should be apap or cpap mode, min and max pressure, optional epr, no ps. ipap should be equal to or higher than epap depending on epr setting. autoset max ipap should be around 10 cmw. if you're using asv, it should be reported in oscar as such, in asv or asvauto mode with min/max epap (epap in asv mode), min/max ipap, and min/max ps. either oscar is buggy or you have a different machine than I have in the U.S.?
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
yrnkrn - Please make a zip copy of your SD card. There is something odd there that I'd like to take a look at.

You can use OSCAR to make the zip file. Go to Help->Troubleshooting-> Create zip of CPAP data card. Put your user name in the filename and upload it to Gideon's Drop box: https://www.dropbox.com/request/6VeFzBXa4qZ37EgphL5b

Thanks - pholynyk, OSCAR team programmer
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palatal Prolapse and Velumount zaienk 14 839 3 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  One machine says I'm treated, another suggests I'm not shawsg 5 181 03-10-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,686 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Does this indicate palate prolapse? ekirtz 2 365 12-20-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: zaienk
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 852 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.