Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP
RE: Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP
(02-17-2020, 09:43 AM)NightVigil Wrote:  
Surgery options: Radiofrequency treatment of the soft palate and uvula (uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)), also the "pillar Procedure". Both very promising - pillar procedure seems to be reversible, even.

My daughter had the UPPP procedure when she was 18. It helped for the first few months. But it all grew back and she was back to the CPAP. Would love to know a more permanent solution.

Cheers,
Damian.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Hi,

I'd like to join your WhatsApp group re: OSA/ palatial prolapse.  Can you send me details?

Thanks,

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Geer1,

I know this is an old thread - but I'm desperate so I thought I would jump in an add my two cents.  

I think your analogy to a partially closed door is a good one to help visualize the problem, but with some tweaks.  We're in a room with a partially closed door and we need to vent the room of smoke.  We have a fan blowing in to help keep the door open.  But since we need to exhaust the room, we need a fan blowing out (lungs) to create a pressure greater than the external fan in order to accomplish that.  Whatever pressure the fan blowing in creates, there must be a net outward pressure on the door to vent the room - which will push the door closed.

In short, the external fan is useless.

I've have had a DICE procedure to confirm the problem is retro-palatial blockage and many years being awakened repeatedly as my palate flops closed on exhale.  I even experience this when I lie on my back and relax.  

My doctor wants to do a modified expansion sphincter pharyngoplasty and I would desperately like to avoid this.

Have you (or anyone) found a conservative solution that works?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2021, 12:17 PM)JimRobert Wrote: Hi,

I'd like to join your WhatsApp group re: OSA/ palatial prolapse.  Can you send me details?

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jim, the link is a cuttly link: https colon double-slash cutt.ly slash YrVlWF1

Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(01-12-2021, 12:46 PM)JimRobert Wrote: I've have had a DICE procedure to confirm the problem is retro-palatial blockage and many years being awakened repeatedly as my palate flops closed on exhale.  I even experience this when I lie on my back and relax.  

Have you (or anyone) found a conservative solution that works?

Question: Did the (you probably meant "DISE") confirm the retro-palatal prolapse?

As for a conservative solution. Look into Velumount - if you can get it, it will probably give you some relief. I've been using it a couple of months now and the difference has been day and night. While probably not a great permanent solution, it will give you time to find a cure.

NightVigil
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2021, 01:20 PM)NightVigil Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 12:17 PM)JimRobert Wrote: Hi,

Thanks,

Jim

Hey Jim, the link is a cuttly link: https colon double-slash cutt.ly slash YrVlWF1

Hope that helps.

Thanks for this link - one document, correct? Any treatments for this issue?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPAP - Expiratory Palatal Obstruction (EPO) settings question gcritchley 7 152 02-15-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Has anyone here had mid-palatal tori removal? 5931044786 0 161 12-24-2020, 02:02 PM
Last Post: 5931044786
  How are same-day split sessions treated for compliance fredkahan 3 190 09-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Last Post: fredkahan
  Central Sleep Apnea Treated But Still Feeling Bad Chequebook 45 3,003 07-31-2020, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Chequebook
  Technically Treated - To my core Tired Geologeek 63 2,654 03-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Catathrenia: a different kind of sleep disorder treated with xPAP HalfAsleep 2 1,140 01-31-2018, 12:58 AM
Last Post: kiwii
  [Treatment] Optimizing my "treated" apnea eternal 7 988 10-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Last Post: eternal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.