Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP
RE: Can Palatal Prolapse be treated with CPAP
(11-24-2021, 04:40 PM)sheepless Wrote: you have a different machine

I have both AirCurve and AirSense machines. This results are from modded firmware on an AirSense 10 machine so some Oscar stats may be wrong. minPS was 2 and maxPS was 7 which Oscar is showing as N/A while Max IPAP should not be shown at all. Given the modded firmware I would not call this an Oscar bug, although it would be nice to have fixed if possible. So far I've used this firmware for about two weeks, machine behaviour makes sense and the graphs do look reliable.

I usually sleep with higher EPAP of 5-6 and see palatal prolapse waveforms few times every night but not expiratory flat waveform. While trying out the ASV mode I lowered EPAP to its minimum of 4 to minimize the max pressure of the ASV=EPAP+max PS. No apneas with EPAP=4 which is OK but the low expiratory pressure may cause my usual palatal prolapse waveforms becoming flat expiratory limitations.

Pressures were stable 6/4 across 12 minutes so this flat expiratory flow could be reproduced with regular fixed 6/4 BiLevel likely even CPAP=4:

(11-24-2021, 05:40 PM)pholynyk Wrote: yrnkrn - Please make a zip copy of your SD card. There is something odd there that I'd like to take a look at.
You can use OSCAR to make the zip file. Go to Help->Troubleshooting-> Create zip of CPAP data card. Put your user name in the filename and upload it to Gideon's Drop box: https://www.dropbox.com/request/6VeFzBXa4qZ37EgphL5b

Done.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if this is relevant at all, but I did an amusing experiment awhile back where I used my cpap to record me singing, and to me this looks sort of like the characteristic shape of PP. Here's the picture:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...?aid=31553

So expiratory flow limitation looks intriguingly like singing?

(For anybody who has ever sung in a choir, at least half of choral direction is the director yelling "NO BREATH" when you really want to breathe in the middle of a musical phrase. I have half-seriously wondered if in those REM-sleep apneas maybe I'm dreaming that I'm singing and not supposed to be breathing...)

So is the flow being limited in the vocal cords?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like an Airbreak machine. I don't believe Oscar completely supports that mod.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, cathyf. That is neat. This gives us an idea of what some of us may be doing during those episodes. I have some. Perhaps a bit of moaning or other utterances.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve vanquished expiratory Palatal Prolapse!
I’ve been using the 6” AlaxoStent along with my VAuto and Bleep mask.
Zero AHI for three out of four nights of AlaxoStent use (the first night was a measly 0.3 AHI before I got stent placement better). No Palatal Prolapse waveforms showing up in OSCAR.
I’m updating my SleepyCPAP Treatment thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2021, 09:56 AM)SleepyCPAP Wrote: I’ve vanquished expiratory Palatal Prolapse!
I’ve been using the 6” AlaxoStent along with my VAuto and Bleep mask.
Zero AHI for three out of four nights of AlaxoStent use (the first night was a measly 0.3 AHI before I got stent placement better).  No Palatal Prolapse waveforms showing up in OSCAR.  
I’m updating my SleepyCPAP Treatment thread.

Interesting - I've been using nastent with limited success, mostly because they clog and kink easily.  Nothing like that happening with alaxo?
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to read the Review of the AlaxoStent posted by SleepyCPAP http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...A-Approved
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2021, 05:02 AM)imposterdroids Wrote: Interesting - I've been using nastent with limited success, mostly because they clog and kink easily.  Nothing like that happening with alaxo?

Welcome to the forum, imposterdroids 
No kinking with AlaxoStent.  If you look at my treatment thread you’ll see the first night I had a few small flow limitations, possibly due to mucus in the stent reducing my airway (nose not used to it first time). It is best if I answer questions there so as not to hijack this thread.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ent?page=6
Post Reply Post Reply
I read your post speaking about you Palatal Prolapse.  I wanted to get an update, and see how you are doing now in 2023.  I have the same condition. Please reply and advise.  Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2021, 05:40 PM)pholynyk Wrote: yrnkrn - Please make a zip copy of your SD card. There is something odd there that I'd like to take a look at. 

Hi there- my flow pattern is often identical to the 2nd photo posted by yrnkrn.  pholynyk- did  you determine if this was some backend glitch in OSCAR, or a true readout of airflow?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palatal Prolapse and Velumount zaienk 20 1,184 04-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 203 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 366 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  One machine says I'm treated, another suggests I'm not shawsg 5 230 03-10-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,821 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Does this indicate palate prolapse? ekirtz 2 389 12-20-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: zaienk
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 911 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.