Can S9-H5i control temperature and humidity independently?
SamWong2012 Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: auto 8-13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Can S9-H5i control temperature and humidity independently?
During 2 hot nights in northern California last week, I had to turn down the temperature of the H5i humidifier, as a result, I had dried mouth. Can the S9-H5i unit control temperature and humidity independently? I am new to CPAP treatment, I can foresee what the summer nights will feel like. We have hot and dry weather in Northern California.
04-27-2012 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Can S9-H5i control temperature and humidity independently?
I don't think so. It is the heat under the tank that makes the humidity. Do you have climateline hose? If so, switch to another hose. That might help with the heat issues.

If you had a dry mouth, then you may have been breathing through your mouth. Dry air from the CPAP would result in dry nose and throat. My throat has been so dry, it was like swallowing sandpaper.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-27-2012 01:28 PM
shutterbug sue Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Mirage Liberty hybrid full face mask & CMS-50D pulse oximeter

Sex: Female

(04-27-2012 12:55 PM)SamWong2012 Wrote:  During 2 hot nights in northern California last week, I had to turn down the temperature of the H5i humidifier, as a result, I had dried mouth. Can the S9-H5i unit control temperature and humidity independently? I am new to CPAP treatment, I can foresee what the summer nights will feel like. We have hot and dry weather in Northern California.

On my ResMed S9 AutoSet you can adjust them independently when using the climate line tubing. Change the humidity setting from auto to manual.

I have the humidity level set on 4.5 and the temp set on 80 because I like as much moisture as I can get. Anything higher than that and I get water droplets in my nose through the nasal pillows.
04-27-2012 02:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

shutterbug sue is correct, climate control using climate line gives you two options:
1- manual mode you set the temp and humidity independently but rainout protection is not guaranteed
2- auto mode you only set the temp to preference (default setting 27C) and rainout protection is guaranteed.

If using the slimline you set the humidity to preference but no rainout protection but there are few options to deal with rainout.
04-27-2012 03:05 PM
wilczy Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(04-27-2012 12:55 PM)SamWong2012 Wrote:  During 2 hot nights in northern California last week, I had to turn down the temperature of the H5i humidifier, as a result, I had dried mouth. Can the S9-H5i unit control temperature and humidity independently? I am new to CPAP treatment, I can foresee what the summer nights will feel like. We have hot and dry weather in Northern California.

Hi Sam,

I'm new to CPAP and just started using machine but already played with it enough to see what it is capable of Smile

H5i can control Humidity Level and Climate Line tube temperature separately if that is what you were asking for. Hope you are not asking for temperature of water chamber because in my understanding it is equivalent of Humidity Level and temperature needed to heat that element is software controlled by machine itself.

Default setting is AUTO so both (Temp. and Humid.) are controlled by the machine and this setting as per ResMed manual, guarantees no rainout effect when using Climate Line, but it can be set to Manual and then you are in total control.

In Clinical (hidden) menu go to Climate Control and you will see 3 options: Auto, Manual and Patient.

Auto - is probably what you have now
Manual - is separate Temp and Humidity levels
Patient - enables option (Auto or Manual) to be visible in Normal (home screen menu) so you have easy access to change from one to another at any time without going to Clinical menu.

Ps.
If on Home screen you see Blue Drop and Thermometer in one that is AUTO mode, Manual is when Drop and Thermometer are split into separate menus.

Hope it helps.

Best regards to you and Everyone in the forum!!!
04-27-2012 03:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
greatunclebill Offline

Members-b

Machine: Respironics System one Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

(04-27-2012 03:08 PM)wilczy Wrote:  Best regards to you and Everyone in the forum!!!

welcome to the forum. thanks for contributing. looking forward to more comments in other threads.
04-27-2012 03:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Change Humidity Level Seasonally txpap 9 505 11-21-2016 06:58 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,218 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
  pressure vs EPR vs hypopnea vs humidity vs congestion Rick76599 6 393 10-15-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: Rick76599
  Has anyone developed a cough from humidity being set too low? NickNick 7 548 09-13-2016 04:31 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  (Another Newbie) Mask Humidity janeaverage 4 459 09-11-2016 07:20 PM
Last Post: JudgeMental
  RemStar Auto A-Flex: Control wheel fault? yossarian 2 253 09-08-2016 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Humidity button gone chuck6161 5 332 07-31-2016 08:41 PM
Last Post: justMongo