Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can SleepyHead Be Trusted?
RE: Can SleepyHead Be Trusted?
(11-20-2014, 06:02 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: I REALLY like SleepyHead, so I'm happy to hear that it isn't a bunch of fluff. Thank you.

Use ResScan to verify anything you see in SleepyHead (SH) that you think is important or of consequence. Your PA doesn't like SH. Anything you see in SH that you want to discuss with him can also be seen in ResScan, so just do it that way.

Quote:One thing the PA said when I asked him why I had centrals without pressure (because he kept talking about how pressure causes centrals) on my 2nd take-home test is that "the machine can't tell." He said they aren't advanced enough to always be able to discern a central from an obstructive.

You can have central apneas without pressure. But it's also true that pressure can cause them. The former is true central apnea. The latter is called CPAP-induced central apnea and it usually subsides as we adapt to CPAP therapy.

Quote:I don't know--I suppose that's true. But then is the reverse true too? That some of what's labeled by these machines as obstructive are actually centrals? Scary thought.

That's less likely. None of it's scary, though. Central apnea is not any more dangerous than obstructive apnea. More important is the duration of the apneas. They could last for only 10 seconds, or they could last much longer. The longer they last the more dangerous they are, and thankfully good CPAP machines measure that duration.

Quote:I feel justified in my desire to know more.

You are not only justified, it's actually a requirement if you want your therapy to be effective. Your PA is insecure in his own knowledge and that's why he doesn't want you to be in-the-know. That's a shame because it prevents him from learning more. Tell him that if he's not willing to discuss the issues with you and answer your questions you'll take your business elsewhere. You're the customer. He's working for you. You are paying his salary. Your insurance premiums and taxes are paying his salary. Get your money's worth.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
The part of the idea that I had centrals without pressure is only one thing: What caused them?
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
(11-22-2014, 11:45 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: The part of the idea that I had centrals without pressure is only one thing: What caused them?

I have centrals without pressure too (as well as obstructive). I don't know what caused mine - there is a short but informative article here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/...003997.htm

I have a theory that they are linked to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). I lost two babies to SIDS and I wonder if there was a genetic link to my central apneas.
(11-20-2014, 02:22 AM)Slick7533 Wrote: I can't yet answer the question of "Is Sleepyhead accurate?" I just got my first machine 2 weeks ago and found Sleepyhead a few days later so I'm just starting to build my analysis from an engineer's viewpoint.

I agree with the comment that "the data is the data." Sleepyhead simply hashes the data and displays it in a very straightforward and detailed way - which I believe gives each of us a true breath-by-breath look at our sleep cycles. No doubt Sleepyhead uses some assumptions and algorithms in the processing of the data captured from the cards. Are those assumptions and algorithms absolutely spot on accurate?....probably not. But what they are is a very close approximation that does truly show the relationship of the data sets. I think you CAN trust the graphical relationships of the data if not the exact numbers for each of the characteristics that the software displays.

I have seen much more favorable user comments from the Sleepyhead set than from the Respironics ap users. I totally believe that the manufacturer does not want us to know too much....it makes their product more mysterious and therefore more expensive and higher profit for them. I think it's similar to the hearing aid industry.

So far I think Sleepyhead is a GREAT piece of work. I shared it with my doc (who is a very cool one-man-office guy MD and PHD genuinely interested in helping his patients get better) and he was very excited to learn about it - he thought it was a great tool and had no skeptical reaction.

Bottom line....yeah...it's a great question to ask and I have a tiny grain of salt in place with Sleepyhead but frankly I'm pretty sure it gives us a more objective and detailed look at our sleep breathing.

I'm anxious to hear what others think!

All the Best!

Ok, I am a new Cpap user, so forgive the question if it sounds stupid. If I download Sleepyhead software, will it erase the data on the Sd Card? I use the System One Auto Cpap and don't understand how the data card works. Every day the screen says the data card is unlocked and 100 percent free. Been using for 3 weeks.
Thanks
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Hi roe1549
SleepyHead only read whatever data is on the card and don't interfere with the card in any way
As long as you don't manually erase the data on the machine, the machine keep writing whatever data stored internally on the card
(11-23-2014, 09:50 AM)roe1549 Wrote: Every day the screen says the data card is unlocked and 100 percent free. Been using for 3 weeks.

That's normal. There's lots of free space because the data takes up very little space. It's a good idea to lock the card before putting it in your computer. The data that's on the card won't get erased, but your operating system may write some files to the card that may cause problems.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(11-23-2014, 12:43 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(11-22-2014, 11:45 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: The part of the idea that I had centrals without pressure is only one thing: What caused them?

I have centrals without pressure too (as well as obstructive). I don't know what caused mine - there is a short but informative article here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/...003997.htm

I have a theory that they are linked to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). I lost two babies to SIDS and I wonder if there was a genetic link to my central apneas.

Paul, I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine.

My father died, according to his death certificate, from a heart attack secondary to brain anoxia. What do you want to bet....

Thank you for the link to the article. My point exactly--everything I'm reading says centrals are caused by ___________________ (fill in the blank with some abnormality or other). I want to get to the bottom of their cause for this very reason.

When I first met with the PA, he said, "We don't expect to see any centrals; we usually look for those in people who have had TBIs, strokes, that sort of thing." If there is some underlying cause causing my centrals that may not yet be diagnosed, I'm looking at the non-pressure centrals as a sort of warning sign--to be investigated rather than ignored.

To me, this is kind of like when a person's fingers start going numb for no reason. Ignore it and chalk it up to the cold weather or have it looked into to ensure there's no neural damage.

Lamb

AHI=18
Lamb the centrals your seeing on the chart are simply a flagged event when you didnt breath as soon as the machine thinks you should have based on the baseline is always seen from you. It then pulses your airway to see if its open. If it is then the machine flags a central.

You have CAs all day long when awake. You just dont notice em. Ever hear a strange noise in the house and listen REALLY hard to see what is? Next time if you notice Ill bet you stopped breathing but your airway was open. Awake. Same thing.

Your brain gets signaled theres enough O2 in your blood and you dont breathe for a bit. Heart pumps a time or two less O2 rich blood hits the gate and the old noodle says "Ok not enough O2." And you breathe.

Best ive been told by Docs is CAs are no worry awake or asleep unless they get to be pretty frequent. For most folks they are just the normal reaction to an occasion of over breathing and overly O2 rich blood.
Thank you, Ghost!

I know people have been trying to tell me that all along, but I couldn't get it through my head until you gave me the example and explanation of how the brain works when detecting the level of O2 at any given moment. Oh-jeez

I'll quit harping on the issue now and consider my newly under-5 AHIs something to celebrate!

Lamb

AHI=18
Ahhhhhh finally he's gonna stop with the few centrals and quit nagging us, we can all breathe freely now Dielaughing

Btw, just joking lamb, I always keep asking till I get an answer that makes me happy and so should you.

Also, keep in mind that just because the machine scores an event doesn't always mean it scored the correct event or even an event, it's a machine yes but it does make mistakes, at least that is what they tell me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trusted Sources for Disability Appeal PerChancetoDream 4 1,387 05-31-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Screen shot of why the Garmin Pulse Ox can't be trusted Stom 3 2,737 06-20-2019, 11:12 PM
Last Post: idlewire

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.