Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can a BiPAP user use a CPAP if BiPAP not aviable?
Can a BiPAP user use a CPAP if BiPAP not aviable?
I was just diagnosed with severe Sleep Apnea with an AHI of 67.1. It looks like its going to be a long wait to get a ResMed AirCurve 10. So I was thinking of getting something like the AirMini AutoSet Travel CPAP Machine, so when I go camping or travel I can use that. So my question is would that be ok or a bad idea? I am getting desperate, my apnea is getting worse and I cant stay awake for more than 5 hours even with massive amounts of sugar & caffeine...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can a BiPAP user use a CPAP if BiPAP not aviable?
I have mixed feelings on the Air Mini being your first machine. Why? Simply because it has no detailed data. As a second machine to be set somewhat near your primary (I assume) VAuto, no problem.

Do note that Aircurve is a product line with many different models, many of which will be inappropriate for you. What is the breakdown of your apnea, better yet, post a redacted copy of your full sleep study including the charts and tables in addition to the narrative and diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I will have to ask the Dr. for that as the one on MyChart is really blurry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jdelcore71, 
Along with Gideon I feel it’s important to know more about which AirCurve model you’ve been prescribed, along with some other key data points regarding your vent needs (obtainable from your study). If your prescribed settings are available, that would also be good to view if you’d be happy to share these bits of info Smile
In terms of taking a machine away camping, ResMed have some excellent battery systems which are really practical in size and power delivery, and they can be connected in series to boost availability and longevity. 
Regarding any APAP machine, using one often won’t be sufficient to manage a clear airway apnoea, so I’m thinking that it would be a compromise, at best. I would suggest using the EPR to maximum effect if you do get an APAP device. 
I was wondering…do you have the option to rent an AirCurve (or equivalent in other brands) in the mean time instead of buying an APAP..? The money spent might end up being similar depending on wait times, while you’re getting the therapy you need instead of a compromise..just my thoughts - hopefully that’s of help to you Smile
Looking forward to your news when ready.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can a BiPAP user use a CPAP if BiPAP not available?
I was fortunately able to get my machine on Saturday, so I do not need to buy a used machine just yet. I would still appreciate feedback on a travel CPAP or should I bring a big car battery for my BiPAP if I go camping? You can find my other post
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Setting-Up
Post Reply Post Reply
I advocate for using your bipap at all times you’re sleeping, however buying an APAP for travel is totally your choice Smile
Depending on how much humidification needed by your airways to feel comfortable/not get stuffy/blocked from dryness, turning off the humidifier heater plate but having water in the chamber will provide a little bit of moisture from air pass-over, and in doing so the required peak performance from the battery will be greatly lessened as it’s not supplying power to both the pump and heater plate. The ResMed batteries are worth a look (they’re very small and light, shaped a bit like a closed wallet), as opposed to buying a decent deep-cycle battery (that is shaped like a car battery). I’ll pop back to your other thread….
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends on your settings and your diagnosis.  That's why they need more info to help you decide.  Some people could 'get by' with an apap if they are on bipap. Many cannot.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,055 2 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,334 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 141 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 148 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,290 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 216 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 5 337 04-04-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Humancyclone7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.