Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can a CPAP go bad causing leaks to get worse?
Can a CPAP go bad causing leaks to get worse?
Has anyone had a mask that they've used for a year with minimal leaks, suddenly have huge leaks all the time. Not the exact same mask or cushions, since I get replacements every three months, but the same type. (Dreamwear nasal cushion). Strange thing though, I wore the same one for a sleep study last month, and they said I didn't leak at all. Could it be my actual CPAP machine having an issue? (Airsense 10)  It's even worse now, since they upped my pressure. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can a CPAP go bad causing leaks to get worse?
I don't think the machine would "go bad" and start generating leaks, but there are a few potential leak points

- around the humidifier
- at the connection between the humidifier and the hose
- the hose itself
- the connection between the hose and mask
- through your mouth

You can sometimes determine if mouth leakage is the culprit by the shape of the leak graph in Oscar. If you can post a daily page from Oscar we might be able to give some more specific advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
DB pretty much caught them. Sometimes it can be as simple as not having the water chamber completely seated. I have the same machine as you and find that it takes an exgra firm push to get the chamber seated. Also make sure the silicone seal between the lid of the water chamber and the base is properly positioned and not damaged.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll post something tonight! Last night was a bit better - around 34L, not in the 40's, at least. But I did stay on my back all night, which I'm sure helped. 

Thanks!

Do you mean the seal that's inside the compartment area? What exactly am I looking for?

Also, can I use sleepyhead anymore, or should I download Oscar?
Post Reply Post Reply
Seals for chamber are 2 donut shaped ones in humidifier cavity on the machine and one big perimeter shaped one on the humidifier tub lid itself. Me personally I’d get OSCAR due to it being updated and such.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
An otherwise unexplainable increase in leaks can sometimes result from a change in headgear adjustment. Have you read the mask primer here on the forum? 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't know there was a mask primer, but I used the same model mask for a year with low (always under 24L) leaks. It's only been the last 8 months that the leak rate has gone up, and the last week it really has, since my doctor increased my pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the link to the mask primer http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a habit of using vinegar to clean your water chamber? I think this caused my water chamber to start leaking.

Anyway, the replacement schedule for water chambers is 6 months. You could also buy one from Amazon and pay out of pocket.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=14026]

Here's my info from last night using sleepyhead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 237 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.