Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ???
Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ???
Thanks to Sleepster and CHanlon's information posted in another thread, i did the balloon test.

You knew somebody was going to do it. At a pressure of 20, which is the limit of most xpap's, the pressure is equivalent to .284 PSI, not even enough to blow up a balloon.

As you see in the attached picture, my old 3 button remstar set at 20, only fills up the shape of the uninflated balloon. It does not have enough pressure to blow the balloon up.

Now we know. It's unreal to me all the problems we have adjusting to this little pressure and how strong it feels when we don the mask and crank 'er up.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=197]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ???
(04-12-2012, 11:37 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: Thanks to Sleepster and CHanlon's information posted in another thread, i did the balloon test.

You knew somebody was going to do it. At a pressure of 20, which is the limit of most xpap's, the pressure is equivalent to .284 PSI, not even enough to blow up a balloon.

As you see in the attached picture, my old 3 button remstar set at 20, only fills up the shape of the uninflated balloon. It does not have enough pressure to blow the balloon up.

Now we know. It's unreal to me all the problems we have adjusting to this little pressure and how strong it feels when we don the mask and crank 'er up.

I feel so much better now knowing that tid bit of information.... LOL
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow... cool.... didn't think anyone would really try that experiment.

Nice job, Bill. Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dang! You beat me to it!

There went my entertainment for the afternoon. :grin:
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2012, 11:57 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Wow... cool.... didn't think anyone would really try that experiment.

Nice job, Bill. Smile

But the experiment is not over ??? Its only been half done. After a balloon as been inflated what pressure does it put out when deflating so you get the same effect as a blowing cpap machine. My guess is its around the 100 mark as its too much for the lungs to take trying to deflate it in your mouth, but I wonder what the correct readings are

1. Pressure of a deflating Balloon = ?

you will probably need this equation to set you on the right path

[Image: NewtonSecondLaw.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2012, 11:57 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Wow... cool.... didn't think anyone would really try that experiment.

Nice job, Bill. Smile

LOL....

If something needs said, i'll say it. If something needs done, a butt needs kicked or a balloon needs inflating, i'll do it.

did ya notice my old 3 button without the arrows?

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
According to the calculator here, a pressure of 20 cm/h2o translates to only .284 psi.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2012, 02:00 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: According to the calculator here, a pressure of 20 cm/h2o translates to only .284 psi.

that's pretty darn close to what i said in the original post.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2012, 02:49 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:
(04-12-2012, 02:00 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: According to the calculator here, a pressure of 20 cm/h2o translates to only .284 psi.

that's pretty darn close to what i said in the original post.

You mean when you said this ...

(04-12-2012, 11:37 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: At a pressure of 20, which is the limit of most xpap's, the pressure is equivalent to .284 PSI, not even enough to blow up a balloon.

Too-funny
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, okay, back off. So I'm reading impaired, lol...

Blame it on getting all distracted by the balloon experiment...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Removing the balloon on motor expire VandeJ63 9 1,111 11-18-2022, 11:53 PM
Last Post: vk3hjq
  Can't sleep...my cheeks blow up like a balloon after a few minutes! nukerx 6 11,140 09-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.