Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can a dream wake you up
RE: Can a dream wake you up
Since I started successful CPAP therapy on 7/23/15, dreaming is back. During the years that I was suffering from apnea issues, I pretty much was void of dreaming. For me, the nose pillows was key to CPAP success, previous attempts with full face masks were a disaster, so I went years without therapy until my sleepiness during the day became very dangerous.

I seem to be always dreaming when hooked up, but I only become aware that I'm dreaming just before I wake up to go to the bathroom, which for me is once or twice nightly.
I pretty much have accepted that dreaming is part of a good night's sleep. I also realize that some dreams are somewhat disturbing, and thankfully they are not common with me, but if someone is plagued with those types of nightmares I would definitely seek a doctor's consultation for possible medication therapy.

But as for regular dreaming... be glad you can dream... REM sleep is a good thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
What a great thread !

I learned something yesterday from the sleep doc when I asked him about the fact that I seemed to be having more weird dreams since starting treatment and he said that you always dream but that those that you remember are only the ones you were awakened from so apneas way waken you but you remember the dream as it was in progress. Something else I learned recently is that dreams don't happen in real time so a dream that may have seemed like it lasted hours may have been over in minutes or seconds.

He also stated what I guess is obvious but that I hadn't really thought about before is that I will naturally dream more as treatment improves as I spend more time in stage 3&4 sleep where dreams happen.

Sweet dreams all zzzzzzzzzzz :-)

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
Like Louis, I also lost the ability to dream due to OSA and this went on for at least 5 to 6 years and probably longer. When the dreams started to come back after my xPAP therapy began to work it was a relief.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to wake up from dreams a lot when I was little, but not so much these days.
Pain beats the dreams to it!  However, I do on occasions and I don't think it is unusual for anyone to wake from dreams.
Some will be remembered and others will not.  If it is a nightmare it will most certainly will be.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 522 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Still wake up using CPAP urachan 3 339 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 291 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Low AHI - Why do I wake up? jkjsdflljkasdf9 3 416 02-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 493 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 652 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.