Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can a higher pressure actually increase CAs?
RE: Can a higher pressure actually increase CAs?
For some people, changing your socks can cause a temporary increase in CA's. But then, some people don't change their socks and therefor avoid problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 09:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote: ...I assume you're making the change because you're trying to knock out some existing ahi? What are your results currently? ..and what are the makeup of them: OA, Hypop, CA.........
That is correct; I think we all want our AHI as low as possible.

My home test AHI was 56, and less than 5% of that was centrals. As soon as I went on APAP, the centrals were outnumbering obstructives 2 to 1, and that has not really changed.

I did 50 days at 5-20, and AHI was about 5 (higher in the first two weeks probably due to newbie adjustments).

I am now 25 days at 8-14, and AHI is under 3 (the last 3 nights averaged about 1).

But the centrals still outnumber obstructives. Hypops are pretty low, and always have been.

So as far as AHI, things are trending in the right direction. Centrals are a little scarier than obstructives, because obstructives have a removable cause, while centrals make you wonder if you have a systemic issue with your breathing feedback loop. So I am a little concerned about that.

Post Reply Post Reply
You're doing fine... What is your median pressure? The one that the machine is happy with most of the time? Keep narrowing the range until you surround that point by 2 or 3. The other issues are ramp time and epr. If using ramp, don't let it drag on too long. 10 minutes is plenty long enough. EPR in some cause a few centrals, so I've been told. So if you're using epr you might think about lowering it, or eliminating it. But even if you do nothing, your results are very good. Good job!
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks so much, RG.

It seems like all of this is a delicate balance, and must be personalized. But the results are defined by so many hard to control variables that it seems one must make small changes and then see how that does over a large number of nights, like a week or two.

I don't use ramp (I can't tell when the machine even starts without purposefully creating a leak around the NPs) as nothing about the pressure really bothers me, except if it gets so high that the sound of the CO2 vent wakes me (I am eligible for the P10 after the end of the month, so that would likely cure that problem anyway).

I do like EPR at 3; I do notice the back pressure just for a tic when I begin to exhale, but it really is not bothersome, although I would notice it more if EPR was reduced. I think they need a better algorithm; instead of waiting for me to begin to exhale, it should try to anticipate that and relieve the pressure just before I exhale.

What about lowering EPR would/could be beneficial?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, if you drop that epr to 2, that "not bothersome" tic you're talking about may disappear. ..and if you are one of those "sensitives" who through a few CA's once in awhile because of the epr, then that might be helped as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2014, 09:14 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: It seems like all of this is a delicate balance, and must be personalized. But the results are defined by so many hard to control variables that it seems one must make small changes and then see how that does over a large number of nights, like a week or two.

Yes, but even then you have to be careful in evaluating causes because things will just change on their own and not be a result of any settings on the machine. This is especially true when we start CPAP therapy. Lots of changes as the mind and body adapt.

Quote:I think they need a better algorithm; instead of waiting for me to begin to exhale, it should try to anticipate that and relieve the pressure just before I exhale.

That feature is available on Respironics BiPAP machines. It's called Bi-Flex.

Quote:What about lowering EPR would/could be beneficial?

It may make a difference. You just have to try it and see.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2014, 11:53 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(11-19-2014, 09:14 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: I think they need a better algorithm; instead of waiting for me to begin to exhale, it should try to anticipate that and relieve the pressure just before I exhale.

That feature is available on Respironics BiPAP machines. It's called Bi-Flex.

With Respironics 'Flex, the pressure starts to transition back to the (higher) inhalation pressure before we start inhaling.

'Flex is Flow-based exhalation pressure relief. The faster the rate of exhalation, the greater the pressure relief.

The pressure rises back to the inhalation pressure as we stop exhaling.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great, but I am not sure how transitioning to a higher pressure before I start INhaling solves the issue of it not transitioning back to a lower pressure in BEFORE I start EXhaling.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the tic a problem or not?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is just a comfort feature, raising it or lowering it is based on what you feel more comfy with.

Why are we talking EPR and Flex? I thought this was a resmed not a respironics?

It can't anticipate when you will exhale because your respiration rate is changing. It can know when you stop exhaling to raise pressure back up which is what it does. How it helps is to keep your airway open.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 84 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 105 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 154 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,431 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,270 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 433 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 381 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.