Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can a machine provider remotely program your cpap machine?
Can a machine provider remotely program your cpap machine?
I discovered this morning that I had left out my SD Card for the past 5 days. I thought it was odd when I woke up last night and my pressure was at 7.9 when I usually run in the high 8's.

On a visit to my machine provider she found out I had programmed my machine myself and had made a big deal out of it. Said she had to call my doctor to get a new script and I was taking my life into my own hands by doing it. Probably not as I usually run 1.0 or less AHI.

But when I put back my card in my machine and let it set there for a few hours and then taken it out I found that the settings were 6 - 10 pressure wise. I had been running 7.4 - 9.4.

Could they have remotely set it? OR, did the machine reset itself to those numbers because there was no card?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can a machine provider remotely program your cpap machine?
Yes, the DME can adjust your machine remotely using the built-in cellular system. Leaving the card out won't cause the machine to change its settings. It sounds like the DME changed it remotely without your knowledge or consent. If that ever happened to me there would be repercussions! As far as taking your life in your hands, that is BS and she knows it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2017, 12:10 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Yes, the DME can adjust your machine remotely using the built-in cellular system. Leaving the card out won't cause the machine to change its settings. It sounds like the DME changed it remotely without your knowledge or consent. If that ever happened to me there would be repercussions!

Yep, not happy about it. What can I say to them?

Post Reply Post Reply
You could threaten them with a lawsuit for unlawful medical procedures without informed consent. Or you could just tell them to butt out. Or just ignore them and set your pressures as you wish - they will eventually give up trying to "correct" you as there is no money in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
WOW - A pro active DME? or just a CYA DME? Tell them to provide the equipment, maintain the equipment, sell you supplies and butt the hell out - that you and your physician will deal with the settings.
Interestingly, the only contact I have had (with one exception) with the 2 DMEs that I have dealt with was the delivery of the machine and ordering supplies (and of course insurance and billing issues). My Dr. and I email all the time and fuss with the settings. The one time I (and the Doc)had a question about why a report was showing something in a strange way that we couldn't figure out the DME's therapists didn't have a clue and referred us to a "repair" center that wanted the machine shipped to them and evaluated for repair (it is out of warranty).
I would disable the cell system unless you need them to receive a report for compliance for insurance (even then you could just send them a copy of the SD card).
Hang in...

Post Reply Post Reply
I saw another DME today and he was very surprised to hear this happened. He wasn't even sure if it could be done with the ResMed machines.

Is there any chance at all the machine got reset back to pressure 6 -10 because I didn't have a SD card in it?

Stay tuned for more. Going out of town till Monday.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remote entry of a prescription is easily possible by a DME with the serial numbers and wireless access to your machine. and compliance data. A prescription can also be written to a SD card, and it's possible the Rx was written to the machine when you inserted the card, although I thought this only occured on the first insertion of the card. 6-10 pressure is not a default, and the machine would not reset to those pressures without someone entering it through the menus or electronically.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2017, 02:25 PM)calcuttaman Wrote: I saw another DME today and he was very surprised to hear this happened.  He wasn't even sure if it could be done with the ResMed machines.

Is there any chance at all the machine got reset back to pressure 6 -10 because I didn't have a SD card in it?

Stay tuned for more.  Going out of town till Monday.

I just picked up a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset 2 weeks ago from Lincare and the therapist told me they could change settings remotely per my Doctor's orders. So yes, they can. We, of course, aren't supposed to know how. Big Grin
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some follow up. I have been getting my cpap supplies from a different DME then the one who I got my machine from. He got it set up with Resmed themselves that the original DME can't access my machine. I'm happy with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
So are we better off not purchasing fom a DME on a non insurance order?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help reading program Aeonmed AS100A Autocpap ZaidAddenis 1 125 03-08-2024, 10:57 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Getting message "Your Resmed CPAP machine has not been tested yet". It's AirSense 11. PurpleOx 32 4,283 03-07-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Intermittent use of C-PAP machine and OSCAR monitoring Thanassis 6 240 02-27-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Thanassis
  OSCAR has never seen my machine's data before! PappaJoe 9 510 02-14-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Created a program to support Wifi SD card for Resmed and all other devices narual 13 2,251 12-08-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: JerryE
  Program a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO HD Fry 9 693 12-07-2023, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips DreamMapper - old machine only? p123 6 756 11-19-2023, 04:58 PM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.