Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can anyone recommend a good full face mask?
Can anyone recommend a good full face mask?
I've had some recent problems with nasal swelling and I fear that I may be forced to switch to a full face mask if I can't find a solution to the swelling problem. I currently have a Resmed Softgel nasal mask and my issue (besides the leaks) is that the mask leaves a raised, red swollen spot on the bridge of my nose. I really wanted to use nasal pillows but given the problems I've had with breathing through my nose it's either a full face mask or some sort of hybrid. If anyone can share their experience and recommend a full face or hybrid mask I'd appreciate any help and/or recommendation I can get.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can anyone recommend a good full face mask?
Might I ask what is the problem with breathing through your nose? Are the passages blocked with polyps, deviated septum, broken nose, etc.? Most of these conditions are correctable, thus allowing you to use the pillows.

My only experience with a full face mask, is the one I wear when working with fiberglass insulation - sorry.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if this will address the 2 issues you've posted, but it *should* alleviate this one - 2 suggestions. If it's leaving a swelling or even a mark on the bridge of your nose, first off, try loosening the straps. Sounds like you've tightened up to try to reduce leaks... which can (counterintuitively) actually make them worse. The mask cushion just just float on your skin, actually even be loose when the machine is off.

As a second suggestion, swap the mask cushion to the Activa LT. Just the cushion - the Sofgel and the Activa LT are interchangeable on the same frame and headgear. The difference is that the Activa LT, with the bellows structure it has, along with the reverse-flap seal actually wants to be adjusted far less tightly then most other masks I tried. You want the air pressure to expand the mask and fill out the seal against your skin - it uses the cpap pressure itself to make the seal, not the force of the headgear pulling it against your skin.

Even if your DME won't just swap it for you, the cushion shouldn't be more then about $50.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ffm of choice going on 5 months now is the Quattro FX. Other masks I've tried and my experiences:
- Swift FX - Extremely comfortable but didn't work for me because of mouth leaks.
- Mirage Liberty - Very comfortable but couldn't keep the seal on the nasal pillows throughout the night.
- Mirage Quattro - Very good seal, but I experienced pain and redness on the bridge of my nose, regardless of the forehead support setting.
- Respcare Innomed Hybrid - Same experience as with the Mirage Liberty.

I find the Quattro FX to be very comfortable and get very low leak rates. The way it's designed, the soft silicone that sits on the bridge of your nose fills with air to form a seal with very little pressure and therefore no red marks or sores on the bridge of your nose. I use a Padacheek liner with mine for added comfort. If you do try one out, be sure to watch the videos on YouTube or Resmed's website on how to fit it to your face as it's done differently than other ffm's.
As with any mask...your results may differ though. Good luck!
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 09:19 PM)moondoggy Wrote: I've had some recent problems with nasal swelling and I fear that I may be forced to switch to a full face mask if I can't find a solution to the swelling problem. I currently have a Resmed Softgel nasal mask and my issue (besides the leaks) is that the mask leaves a raised, red swollen spot on the bridge of my nose. I really wanted to use nasal pillows but given the problems I've had with breathing through my nose it's either a full face mask or some sort of hybrid. If anyone can share their experience and recommend a full face or hybrid mask I'd appreciate any help and/or recommendation I can get.

I have always been a mouth breather, and have thus been relegated to the full face mask. I currently use a ResMed Quattro, and have also used a Resperionics ComfortGel. I tried multiple masks at my sleep center, both at the study and during later mask sessions. (I am also claustrophobic, to add to the fun). I suggest that you start your study of full face masks with either the Quattro, or the Quattro FX. One has a forehead support, which I find necessary if not pleasant, and the other does not. I initially started with a variable pressure of 10-15, and ultimately my current mask, of all I tried, worked quite well. A warning: My doctor recently raised my pressure to 10-20, and with this mask I am having the worst leaks I have ever experienced. I cannot seem to get the leaks below the 24L mark, as they currently hover near 75-80! So with your setting going to 17, I don't know what your experience will be. That said, I still believe the Quattro to be the best choice for you to begin with. If it fits your face, you should be very happy with it. And if you can avoid the necessity of the forehead support, the FX will undoubtedly be even better.

Edit: The purpose of my comments regarding my pressure issues were a prelude to saying you should check your mask at the highest pressure you intend to use.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 09:32 PM)CHanlon Wrote: As a second suggestion, swap the mask cushion to the Activa LT. Just the cushion - the Sofgel and the Activa LT are interchangeable on the same frame and headgear.
That would be my suggestion too, The Activa LT cushion is much lighter/softer than the SoftGel, can be worn quite loose and the whole mask is $89 from Supplier #2
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage...c=patients

I can't recommend full face didn't work for me leaked like a sieve and think one shouldn't go there and only in case of nasal problems or in some instances having a cold might come handy otherwise the nose is the breathing apparatus and the mouth is for eating and drinking.

Post Reply Post Reply
The Mirage Quattro every time.

This kind of question is like saying Ive got dosh what kind of car shall I buy. I would try as many as you can before you buy. Start with something simple like the quattro and work your way through them if you can. I have the Quattro and the Quattro FX.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2012, 06:29 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: The Mirage Quattro every time.

This kind of question is like saying Ive got dosh what kind of car shall I buy. I would try as many as you can before you buy. Start with something simple like the quattro and work your way through them if you can. I have the Quattro and the Quattro FX.

Mirage Quattro for me too. Not a hint of leakage for me and comfortable. I have a goatee to boot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 09:19 PM)moondoggy Wrote: I've had some recent problems with nasal swelling and I fear that I may be forced to switch to a full face mask if I can't find a solution to the swelling problem. I currently have a Resmed Softgel nasal mask and my issue (besides the leaks) is that the mask leaves a raised, red swollen spot on the bridge of my nose. I really wanted to use nasal pillows but given the problems I've had with breathing through my nose it's either a full face mask or some sort of hybrid. If anyone can share their experience and recommend a full face or hybrid mask I'd appreciate any help and/or recommendation I can get.

I use a Fisher and Paykel Forma full face mask, which works well for me - though its the only one I've tried (been using CPAP for just one month).

Soon after I started using it, the bridge of my nose became very sore. But the soreness disappeared once i started washing the silicon cushion in soapy warm water instead of just warm water (on a daily basis). Why not give that a try with your current mask?

Post Reply Post Reply
I've used the Resmed Mirage Quattro for 4 years. It worked well for me, but always left marks on the bridge of my nose...sometimes even soreness. I recently switched to the Resmed Quattro FX. It's smaller, lighter and more comfortable than the Quattro. It has better leak numbers and very gentle on the bridge of the nose. My vote goes to the FX.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my 95% pressure stat good or...? Hone 2 59 28 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 249 7 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 5 80 Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 200 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 166 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 141 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 139 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.