Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Sex: Male

Can 'exercise' be Fun?
I ride a 'recumbent trike'. I've been doing so since 2010. When I bought my first trike I was a 360lb (down from 390) 6'0" cripple with a new knee named 'frank'. I hadn't ridden a bicycle since 1979 (the year of my first knee surgery).

Why am I creating this thread? Perhaps there are others that need, or are looking for a enjoyable low-impact way of getting exercise without the *grind* of working out?

This is a recumbent Trike:

[Image: benefits-of-a-trike_thumb_zps0fb51566.jpg]

They range in price from $1,200 to $4,000 and higher. Many can fold, many can fit in the back of your SUV, even a small one like my 06 Tucson.

Some people ride in their neighborhoods, other people research and learn about local 'MUPs' (Multi User Paths) either paved or unpaved. I am lucky enough to live about 10 miles from a 90 mile long MUP, which is where I ride all the time. I have also traveled with my trike out of state to the "GAP" - where I trike-camped and rode some 250 odd miles over nine days.

A great forum can be found by using Google to search for "BROL", if you wish to learn more.

The key for me was to find a form of exercise I could do, that I actually enjoy doing, that doesn't feel like I am suffering while I am doing it. This is my answer. This works for me. I still have weight to lose, and I am not yet the picture of perfect health, but I no longer have to see my heart Doctor weekly, I am no longer a diabetic, and to date I've been taken off seven of my meds. I am down to 307lbs now.

Some 4 weeks after my right hip replacement I was back on my trike doing 2-3 miles per day. With the Ortho's blessing.

Just something to think about if you like...

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
02-27-2014 11:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JohnNJ Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet & ResMed Power Station II
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp & ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i & ClimateLine (distilled / fresh daily)
CPAP Pressure: 9.4 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: First night - November 25, 2013

RE: Can 'exercise' be Fun?
Does a recumbent bike put less stress on your knees? How fast can you go on it?

Thanks for posting this.
02-27-2014 01:22 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS

(02-27-2014 01:22 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:  Does a recumbent bike put less stress on your knees? How fast can you go on it?

Thanks for posting this.

Short answer is YES. Keep in mind I have one new knee, and one that badly needs replacing - so while you *could* stress your knees badly by pushing too hard - learning to *spin*, and use lower gears is key. But, also, as you ride, the muscles in the knees will become stronger, which means less chance of hurting them.

Crank length can be changed (and it's common to do so), so people love shorter cranks. Shorter cranks = less strain (and less power) = more spinning.

Most people that switch from an upright bike to a recumbent trike find that they slow down about 3mph. It does take time after switching as different muscles are used. There are people that race on recumbent trikes. Most/many recumbent trike riders are willing to trade speed for endurance - it's very common for me to be on my trike all day, no soreness issues at all.

In all of my reading, I only know of two people that switched to a trike, that then switched back to a bike. In both cases, it was due to a desire for speed. 3 wheels instead of two, three tracks instead of one, plus most trikes weigh between 35lbs and 50lbs - much heavier than many bikes. So it comes down to what you are after? Almost all will accept the speed hit for the comfort, and hauling ability of the trike. No balance issues, no minimum speed going uphill, stop to rest anytime, etc, etc...

Here is a photo of my trike with trailer and 90lb load:

[Image: 2013-05-15GAP_Trip_05-2013013_zpse88f9a38.jpg]

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
02-27-2014 01:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

I guess they're OK for paths and trails, but there's a fool who insists on riding one of these on busy roads in the Perth central area. Too low to be seen, too slow compared to the surrounding traffic. It's only a matter of time before he's killed. Sad Like many of the lycra brigade around here, he insists on riding on the road even when there's a world class cycleway only 20 metres away.

I've seen them around and they always look ungainly and clumsy so it's interesting to hear your take on the trike.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-28-2014 12:59 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

They are very popular among the folks with disabilities, especially when the bike is outfitted with hand pedals vs feet. There's a guy around here who has one and it's been cool to watch him get better and faster over the past two years.

And yeah, they're very hard to see. He has a tall orange flag. Folks have gotten used to seeing it, though, and know who and what it is. Asheville attracts a huge biking crowd, especially after the Tour de Pont came through here several times. The mountains offer a real challenge. There used to be a joke about "You know you live in Asheville when you have a 3 thousand dollar bike on a 3 hundred dollar car".

I am actually looking into getting a stationary recumbent bike. I can adjust the tension to fit the day. I have a portable pedal set but we can't seem to find the right chair and position for me. In my case, it's not just the knees, it's also the hips.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-28-2014 01:12 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

And have you checked out the ElliptiGO? It's a stand up bicycle. Supposedly really good on the knees and especially the back. Someone had one here for a while but it was causing too many near accidents as we were all going "What the...."

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

02-28-2014 01:14 AM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

As some of the Master Members know, my wife and I ride these Greenspeed trikes:
[Image: mWpKlJW4ZQII26cPpx3abay8bz7q81tLP50WgVfNA2c=w140-h105-p]
The biggest issue we have is the inability to keep up with people on normal two-wheeled bikes. There's a substantial difference between riding on something with 27" wheels and something with 20" (or smaller) wheels.

On a clear stretch of the MUP Monon Trail north of Indianapolis, I've been able to obtain a speed of 18+ miles per hour. But due to cross streets and other trail users, our normal speed is around 11 mph.

Normally, we endeavor to ride 15 to 20 miles a day. Since my wife doesn't like to camp out, all our rides are round-trips from wherever we start from. Transporting the trikes to a starting point is easy as we can get both trikes into the back of our mini-van -- by permanently removing the second- and third-row seats.

Bob.
02-28-2014 08:57 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(02-28-2014 08:57 AM)PollCat Wrote:  The biggest issue we have is the inability to keep up with people on normal two-wheeled bikes. There's a substantial difference between riding on something with 27" wheels and something with 20" (or smaller) wheels.

Good. It won't make me look so bad if you come here and bike with me in Dixon. My 27 inch tires will give me an advantage to make up for my... ah...uh... overweightedness. SHa_biggrin5

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

02-28-2014 10:07 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS

To be true, most all of my rides are either alone, or with other trikes. My average speed (big fat ex-couch potato, with one new knee, one new hip) is 7-10mph. BUT!!! I can't walk 100 yards and enjoy myself, but I *CAN* ride 7-8 hours and/or 30-40 miles and have a serious blast~! My trike for me is about freedom, and the ability to go places at a pace I can enjoy and watch the world go by too.

On a bike, you need to focus on balance, keeping you speed up, watching what you are about to ride over, and generally you only get to take quick glances at what's around you. On a trike it's the reverse, you get to focus on what's around you most of the time, and only rarely do you need to focus on the ground.

It IS a rolling lawn chair. It is heavier (which makes for a better work out too), and harder to move around compared to a bike, but it is truly a joy. It isn't so much that I am disabled, but rather my Doc pointing that falling from a bike may not do all my new parts any good, plus no matter what I did, I was only good for 15-20 miles on my bike before parts started hurting.

[Image: 2013-04-15Ride_04-15-2013004_zps5b4c763c.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 11:43 AM by Peter_C.)
02-28-2014 11:41 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SnuffySleeper Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: s9 elite
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments:

Sweet, recumbent bikes always intrigued me. I use to race mountain bikes semi-professionally so my love for cycling is deep Smile I plan to do a lot of riding this summer as there is a direct correlation to my life quality to how much I ride my bike.

Looking to switch over to road cycling sooner than later as well as my older body doesn't like hopping through rocks and tree stumps as much as it use to Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 04:01 PM by SnuffySleeper.)
02-28-2014 03:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Benefits of regular exercise ?? GrammaBear 7 578 03-10-2016 04:36 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  [News] Melatonin and Exercise Work Against Alzheimer's ApneaNews 0 864 12-14-2012 03:44 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews