Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can heart surgery eliminate apnea?
Can heart surgery eliminate apnea?
I've read that untreated sleep apnea can cause heart problems but can heart surgery eliminate sleep apnea?  I had a mitral valve repair and was wondering if I should ask my doctor for a new sleep study to see if it has improved.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thank You.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can heart surgery eliminate apnea?
I wouldn't think so for a moment.
However, some people say it reduced the events, but I think they were talking more about heart pulputations.
Though I did read that one claimed it reduced his ahi. Hummm!
Remember tell your surgeon you have sleep apnoea if you have not had surgery yet.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2019, 08:12 PM)Solar Rays Wrote: I've read that untreated sleep apnea can cause heart problems but can heart surgery eliminate sleep apnea?  I had a mitral valve repair and was wondering if I should ask my doctor for a new sleep study to see if it has improved.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thank You.

That sounds like a question for an MD. However, if you have obstructive apnea, I would think the mechanism for your apnea (tissues in your airway that relax and obstruct your breathing when you sleep) would remain.

If you have a data recording PAP machine your sleep doctor can look at the graphs from your machine and see if it reports obstructed breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
O2 desaturation for extended periods triggered by severe apnea can trigger cardiac events.
I've never heard of cardiac events triggering apnea.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Since most apnea events are physical throat obstruction based, I would say no to considering improved heart health via a surgically improved heart affecting sleep apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my wife's case it resulted in, after a few twists and turns, an 80% occluded airway that has since been repaired. But then her case is not yours.

It definitely bear the other, the only other alternative, death.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
It's my understanding that heart problems can cause CENTRAL apnea. So if the problem is central apnea, I would think yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Heart Failure might cause Central apnea, so if you had low EF due to valve leaking then perhaps it got better, but let me answer your real question. You will have sleep apnea likely till the very end.
Post Reply Post Reply
My apnea was only discovered after I had a triple bypass so I don't think surgery is going to produce a cure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2019, 08:12 PM)Solar Rays Wrote: I've read that untreated sleep apnea can cause heart problems but can heart surgery eliminate sleep apnea?  I had a mitral valve repair and was wondering if I should ask my doctor for a new sleep study to see if it has improved.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thank You.

My late Dad had a heart attack and his apnea went away.  He used to snore like a banshee and then not at all after the heart attack.  Several years later, he needed oxygen (diagnosed with COPD 30 years after he quit smoking), but not likely related to the heart attack.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 191 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,952 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Sleep study heart rate 250 bpm phoebesalva 5 407 01-13-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.