Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can home care provider make our machine unusable?
RE: Can home care provider make our machine unusable?
Thanks for the advice. Will definitely look into sleepyhead. Not sure it is auto or fixed.
Post Reply Post Reply
The data is not sent to the store, it is sent to the mfr. and they run a cloud service
for providers to access. To get access to login to their system you have to apply with them
as a medical provider, insurance provider, whatever.
This is all medical data and falls under HIPAA.

I have read the agreement for providers from RESMED and something like that would go against the agreement. (Anything weird and punitive like this would fall outside of their rules. They still have the right to chase you for payment if it is legit and demand its return if they are entitled to it.)

For example, here is the login site for Resmed AirView. it has their legal stuff to read, I'm sure they are similar for all of the mfr's. https://airview.resmed.com/login

The major point in the jargon is that the person accessing their system must have the patients authorization to do so. (HIPAA, federal.)
You can revoke that permission at any time.

Besides, you can just grab the manual here and fix it yourself whenever you need to.

In my opinion the medical equipment joints tend to be delusional at best. When I first started treatment the first one assigned to me by my ins tried to tell me that it was a crime for me to change the settings and that they would report me. LOL!
Post Reply Post Reply
The store that issued the machine does get the data because she called to tell us he wasn't using it enough hours per night. That was during the first week. She explained that if he doesn't use it a certain number of hours each night Medicaid will not cover the machine at the end of the trial period. she told me she could change the settings from the store based on the data. i still haven't tried to change the setting on my own because I fear she could see it and make a big deal about it. I don't have a need at this time to change them. Just want to convince myself if I needed to override her at the store I could. But I haven't tested it out yet. So I can change the settings(the prescribed air pressure) on my own without the store distributor or physician?
Post Reply Post Reply
The store can get the data because they login to the MFR's website and have an agreement to access data.

You can change the settings yourself if you can follow the instructions in the manual.
There is no legal or other problem with doing it.
YOU do not need a prescription to change settings.
You legally need a prescription to PURCHASE the device.

Before you get tangled up in a dead zone, get copies of the sleep study and the prescription from the doctor.
If they refuse, demand them stridently, you are legally entitled to them.

I doubt your worries about them changing them are an issue.
For THEM to change prescription settings they do need a Dr.
They can change comfort settings, download/look at your data etc.

As long as they have access to the MFR's website they can, though if you revoke your
permission they should not.

Go to the link for the manuals 
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Get your manual and read up, get your study and scripts, you'll be fine.
I highly doubt you would run into a MEP that would use the machine to blackmail for payment.
They would run into legal issues.

If they did, turn it to airplane mode, change the settings yourself and do whatever you need.

Read a lot here and you will get it quickly.

If the equipment provider doesn't like you taking charge of your treatment, so what.
Post Reply Post Reply
Revoking their permission is all well and good, but if you do that during the compliance period - the first three months, usually - your insurance company may decide not to pay for the machine. I'd be pretty sure your permission was buried in the fine print of your health insurance policy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 88 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 530 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 538 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,911 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 213 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,324 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 865 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.