Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can i improve my therapy beyond this point?
RE: Can i improve my therapy beyond this point?
Health anxiety is very problematic for those of us with hypertension.

I too have to take my BP readings 3 or 4 times in a row at home sometimes because the mere thought of taking my blood pressure completely freaks me out and I come close to having a panic attack which really doesn't help my blood pressure one little bit.

For a while I was like that about looking at my AHI readings and Sleepyhead data. I would obsess over it and get very worried about the slightest blip. All of this worrying really robs us of happiness and so I actively refuse now to let health anxiety ruin my life.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2018, 02:16 PM)Timur Wrote: Health anxiety is very problematic for those of us with hypertension.

I too have to take my BP readings 3 or 4 times in a row at home sometimes because the mere thought of taking my blood pressure completely freaks me out and I come close to having a panic attack which really doesn't help my blood pressure one little bit.

For a while I was like that about looking at my AHI readings and Sleepyhead data. I would obsess over it and get very worried about the slightest blip. All of this worrying really robs us of happiness and so I actively refuse now to let health anxiety ruin my life.

Well, you hit the nail on the head there. That is exactly how I feel when I take a reading. Which makes it hard to even take them since I worry I am making things worse. 

I have done really well not going crazy on my data. This is my first time looking at the data this close in months. In most cases, I just note the AHI and how I feel, and start the day (a string of curse words follow the rare stressful night that gives me a 2+

That said, I haven't beaten the rest of my anxiety by a long shot. I seriously stress the heart condition, even with the doc telling me not to. It's brutal and depressing..
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2018, 02:52 PM)Madcat207 Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 02:16 PM)Timur Wrote: Health anxiety is very problematic for those of us with hypertension.

Well, you hit the nail on the head there. That is exactly how I feel when I take a reading. Which makes it hard to even take them since I worry I am making things worse. 

I have done really well not going crazy on my data. This is my first time looking at the data this close in months. In most cases, I just note the AHI and how I feel, and start the day (a string of curse words follow the rare stressful night that gives me a 2+

That said, I haven't beaten the rest of my anxiety by a long shot. I seriously stress the heart condition, even with the doc telling me not to. It's brutal and depressing..

Hello Madcat207

Anxiety can be a catch 22 type situation. I have high blood pressure off and on and have been monitoring my self at home with an Omron too. My daughter suffers from anxiety and on the whole is calm at home but on being asked to take a reading, her pressure spiked visibly and her heart was visibly thumping. Just the very act of testing and at home!!! 

With high cholesterol, high blood pressure, high blood glucose recently I have been striving to eat appropriately  as well. All this is worrying but am trying very high to stay positive and keep all stressors at bay.

Your AHI is well treated and I hope that allays your concerns in this area and what with all the measures you have taken towards improving your health in losing that amazing amount of weight and eating healthily will definitely improve your heart health.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a well-known phenomenon in medicine called 'white coat syndrome'.  Doctors and nurses know that a BP reading is likely to be inflated by at least 10% due to the patient's anxiety over being in the presence of a 'judge'...of health.  This is the same effect, except the judge is now the BP device.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2018, 05:30 AM)Apnea Infant Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 02:52 PM)Madcat207 Wrote:

Hello Madcat207

Anxiety can be a catch 22 type situation. I have high blood pressure off and on and have been monitoring my self at home with an Omron too. My daughter suffers from anxiety and on the whole is calm at home but on being asked to take a reading, her pressure spiked visibly and her heart was visibly thumping. Just the very act of testing and at home!!! 

With high cholesterol, high blood pressure, high blood glucose recently I have been striving to eat appropriately  as well. All this is worrying but am trying very high to stay positive and keep all stressors at bay.

Your AHI is well treated and I hope that allays your concerns in this area and what with all the measures you have taken towards improving your health in losing that amazing amount of weight and eating healthily will definitely improve your heart health.

Definitely a catch 22..and I commiserate with your daughter, as I sound the exact same way taking mine. I would love an optical solution that I could wear, so I don't know when it is being measured and get real readings.. 

In terms of my treatment, I am not sweating it too badly. Last night I had a 1.2 night, and am really disappointed that I had that many (though I think more of them were just distance apneas, not real choking ones). Still, I know most people would kill for that number, so...

(09-23-2018, 09:17 AM)mesenteria Wrote: There is a well-known phenomenon in medicine called 'white coat syndrome'.  Doctors and nurses know that a BP reading is likely to be inflated by at least 10% due to the patient's anxiety over being in the presence of a 'judge'...of health.  This is the same effect, except the judge is now the BP device.

I have even told em I know I have the problem, but they still look at me as if my pressure is always that bad. My anxiety makes it easily 10%... It really sucks..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 21 600 7 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 61 2,253 Today, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  Therapy using Lumis 150 ST StuartC 135 7,145 Today, 04:26 AM
Last Post: StuartC
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 4 81 Yesterday, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 203 8,288 Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 13 698 03-16-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: marcinpiskala
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 3 158 03-15-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: SleepyLlama

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.