Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea?
Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea?
I was wondering something. Doctors say I have large tonsils and when I look in the mirror they do look big. Suppose I had my tonsils removed. Would that prevent sleep apnea from happening? How can you know in advance whether that would make a difference?

Does anyone know anyone who has been cured of sleep apnea by having large tonsils removed?

Also, are tonsils vestigial? Do you need them? What function do they serve?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea?
There’s a good article on tonsils on Wikipedia. They help fight colds for one thing. This is
 worth discussing with your sleep doctor or ENT.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea?
Tonsil removal is often recommended for young children with OSA. In adults, it could contribute. To determine if it is consult a good ENT that is not surgery happy.

Tonsils are part of our immune .system. in the past they were very routinely removed, not so much today.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd say if removal would be helpful is as others mentioned, discuss with an ENT. I myself am doubtful of anything guaranteeing there'd be no sleep apnea after the procedure however. You'd have had to have very little apnea in the first place for some procedure or any sort diminish apnea to the level of being basically cured. I'm just skeptical of things that sound like a magic pill that cures apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine were removed as a young kid, and I'm not even sure why.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 5 65 5 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 1 103 Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 264 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 170 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 199 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 1 464 04-13-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,395 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.