Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can nasal blockage be the reason for below average tidal volume?
Can nasal blockage be the reason for below average tidal volume?
Can nasal blockage be the main reason for consistently below average tidal volume (for my height and weight of course). I'm 6'1" (6'2" on a good day lol) and weigh 200 lbs. At least one of my nostrils are Always blocked and sometimes both and it's been like that since I was a child. My tidal volume is almost always between 380 - 420 ml. My numbers always look good as far as AHI goes (usually below 1.5) but some days I wake up with a slight headache and I believe it may be due to oxygen desaturation that I'm unaware of as I don't have a oximeter so I figured the below average tidal volume is an indication that I'm not getting enough oxygen in for my height and below. Should I be concerned with my below average tidal volume and do you think it's due to nasal blockage (I'm a nose breather and not a mouth breather) What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can nasal blockage be the reason for below average tidal volume?
Yewbetcha, especially if the reduction in effective aperture is rather severe.  Our breathing when we sleep is generally 'exaggerated' in amplitude, meaning we really suck, wheeze, and blow if we're having a good one.  Substantial occlusion of the breathing passageway is going to impart a restriction and a resultant strain in an effort to breathe.

Note that tidal volume isn't the same for everyone.  There is variance.  What you would want to look for is a reduction that persists and that is significant from a previous 'normal' volume average.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply!
Post Reply Post Reply
Michael, any upper airway restriction may be seen as flow limitation and will affect any of the triad of tidal volume, minute vent or breaths per minute. Many potential solutions, and my favorite is a nasal pillows mask, assuming you can tolerate that without mouth leaks. Surgical solutions are a distant second. Keep in mind full-face and nasal masks impose pressure on the sinuses that make this worse, while nasal pillows are the only therapy that directly stents the nasal openings without applying pressure to the frontal sinus cavities.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2019, 09:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Michael, any upper airway restriction may be seen as flow limitation and will affect any of the triad of tidal volume, minute vent or breaths per minute.  Many potential solutions, and my favorite is a nasal pillows mask, assuming you can tolerate that without mouth leaks.  Surgical solutions are a distant second.  Keep in mind full-face and nasal masks impose pressure on the sinuses that make this worse, while nasal pillows are the only therapy that directly stents the nasal openings without applying pressure to the frontal sinus cavities.

Thank you. I have and tried the P10 But cannot get a good seal from it no matter which nasal size I try. I haven't tried the large size yet since my nostrils are a little on the smaller size so I got the for her version but have been unsuccessful on getting a good seal compared to my airtouch 29 full face mask. Any luck with a Navage nasal irrigation or neti pot to increase nasal air intake?
Post Reply Post Reply
Also the p10 leaks are not mouth leaks either as I am very good with keeping my mouth closed and also use tape around my mouth to ensure that it stays shut
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,433 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 586 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 468 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.