Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can somebody explain these artefacts?
Question 
Can somebody explain these artefacts?
The last couple of nights I've been seeing periods (a few minutes) of waveflow going off the chart. This is happening in both Oscar and SleepyHead v1.0.0 beta 2.

Any ideas what's happening?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can somebody explain these artefacts?
(05-29-2019, 07:04 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: The last couple of nights I've been seeing periods (a few minutes) of waveflow going off the chart. This is happening in both Oscar and SleepyHead v1.0.0 beta 2.

Any ideas what's happening?

**UPDATE***

I have no idea what has gone on with your data to make it look like that it seems your machine has written garbage to the SD card why I dont know maybe the SD card is going BAD.....

It looks like you have  turned off Autoscaling on the Y Axis of the Flow graph at some point possibly for more clarity of the flow graph, looking at these lines you have taken some large breaths possibly due to being awake. Or more likely your machine is having a moment as the mask pressure line has strange artifacts in it as well

To turn back on Auto scaling Right click on the word flow rate to the left of the graph then left click on Y-Axis and change the scale to something more suitable. or set to Autoscale to ensure the whole range of the flow chart fits on the graph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a guess, it looks more like a machine glitch. It doesn't look like a breathing issue. For accurate and I think it would still be the same, but I would use ResScan
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Something that needs to be fixed, the question is what?
Another "guess"
My first impression is static, electrical in nature. Try a different SD Card to see if that eliminates the pattern.
Try reading your SD Card with a different Reader/different machine.
The pattern is timed to your breathing which implies it may be either pressure or flow sensitive, which means a machine repair. I can't tell which portion of your breath, inhale/exhale.
If you have a backup machine does the problem happen with it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Here's hoping that it's just a card problem. I'll try a different card tonight and see if the problem recurs.

I tried reading the same card on a different computer with the same results.
I don't have a backup machine, so I can't try that. (It's an ASV which is $$$).

I tried downloading to a clean installation of ResScan but got a read error. Using a freshly formatted different card (which only had summary data) it downloaded OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try 5 minutes of non-auto ASV mode, just close to basic bilevel settings with the current card. You don't have to sleep. This is diagnostic only.
Post Reply Post Reply
How many hours on your machine now? The vertical lines cannot be a breathing pattern, and seem to be a loss of signal, or a false signal being recorded. The mask pressure has anomalies and is reporting pressures that are not within the range of your settings. It's odd the anomalies do not align between flow and mask pressure. I know of at least one person that could read the hex data and describe what is happening, but probably not why.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I tried a new card last night and the problem hasn't recurred. So hopefully it was just a dud card.

The machine is over 5 years old, but the run hour meter is only showing 1600 hours. I sent it in for warranty repairs on the humidifier last year, and they also replaced the motor at the same time (I was highly impressed). But apparently the run hour meter was reset to zero with the new motor.

Of course a new motor doesn't mean new circuit boards, sensors etc. I should probably think about retiring this machine soon, but ASVs are expensive and I have other financial priorities just at the moment.

Thanks again for all the advice above! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please explain debug list Inspired 1 1,139 02-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.