Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can somebody talk me into a nasal mask?
RE: Can somebody talk me into a nasal mask?
I have seen some research that suggests that people tend to get the most effective therapy by using pillows, followed by nasal masks, and then followed by FFMs. But if you can't get good sleep because of discomfort, leaks, or whatever, then it really doesn't matter.

I mouth breathe and my jaw drops every time. What I REALLY wanted to try was the ResMed mask that had a mouth seal and pillows because I don't get on with the F30 at all.

I CAN do pillows - but I have to either wear a chinstrap or a soft collar and tape my mouth. That said, I can get my leaks down to pretty much zero that way. It just depends. Because it's such a palaver, I generally use an FFM (F20 with memory foam, love it) as I don't have a large face or throat and suffer allergies and congestion fairly often. But that said, after a couple of months, the bridge of my nose ends up getting a pressure sure - sometimes it's just reddened but most often it'll just be because the mask shifted a little one night and by the time I wake up, the skin has broken. Then I need to give it a week to 10 days to heal up, and during that time, I use pillows. Once I got used to that, I can sleep just as well with the pillows. It's just more of a process.

See my comparison of Viatom/Wellue and CMS50F oximeters here.

Not a doctor, definitely not your doctor, all advice is given as-is and represents simply my own understanding as a fellow patient and OSCAR user.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I made my own under-jaw cushion. I found a face pad at Mountain Equipment Co-op. Bought it on a wim. It's used on a baby carrier, so I knew it's soft.

Then I found a strap. Tighten the strap around my neck wit the pad under my jaw and against my throat.
DaveL
Compliant for over 30 years

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. I hope to learn everyone, and that's why I share here. 
Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL -- that sounds like more-or-less what I ended up with when I removed 5 inches of foam from the length of my cervical collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2021, 06:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Nasal pillows have the smallest surface area that need to create a seal. All you have to do is avoid pressurized air form blowing out of your mouth. Nasal pillows are a far less invasive interface than a nasal mask, and don't need to seal around your nose, just under it.  The biggest advantage is you no longer have any pressure on your sinuses along the very areas the FFM and NM need to establish a seal.  Try this...breathe in and out through your nose, then apply pressure on both sides beside your nose where the FFM and nasal masks rest near the side of bridge of the nose.  I rest my case.

Exactly my issue with a FFM and my right nostril. My septum is curved and I can't breath without a pillow mask or a F30.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Mizz C tried several full face masks when she was first starting CPAP about 4 years ago. When she tried the pillows, she never looked back. Using a F&P head gear, which brings the hose up over her head, instead of hanging down the front. I set up a hose guide on the upper headboard of her side of the bed....hose goes from the machine, up, then the down to her head gear. She can sleep comfortably on either side or on on her back with no problem.

Some times she will have a 'mouth leak', which is the only time I ever hear her unit running...she'll make a noise like air being let out of a tire...which eventually wakes, her, and it gets all quiet again.... Do I complain?..Hell no! At least I know she's breathing, and that is much better then the old days, when I'd often have to nudge her so she would start breathing again...

FLc
If It Weren't For 'Flashbacks', I'd Have No Memory At All
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dry mouth with nasal mask and mouth tape tmiller 5 246 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: tmiller
  Looking for nasal mask advice, air (used to) blow out of my mouth under pressure LongJumpingEnergy 7 352 10-05-2021, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Help with nasal mask and mouth breathing mruwu69 4 208 09-15-2021, 03:33 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  ResMed AirFit™ N30i Nasal Cradle CPAP Mask Trial DaveL 51 1,886 08-07-2021, 04:44 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  My puffy cheek solution (nasal mask only) StaphAttack 2 248 07-24-2021, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Mask similar to Dreamwear Nasal without the annoying air jet? StaphAttack 8 332 07-17-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: factor
  Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? CorruptAlligator 24 1,180 07-16-2021, 04:29 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.