Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone advise about this?
Can someone advise about this?
Hi
I am brand new to this forum and not sure yet how to read any of the results of the software sleepyhead. I was able to copy my card to my computer and wondered if anyone could tell me what all this means, not really a lot, but does it look like my pressure is working? I have had a sleep study done and the tech wanted to put me on 17 pressure after I had been only using 6 but he insisted that I sleep on my back and I NEVER sleep on my back, I am a side sleeper. I tried it for a few nights and it about blew me off the bed and I could not sleep. My doctor agreed to let me have a try going back and going up in small steps until I got good results. My insurance company will not read the card for a month, and I wanted to know if I am doing ok. I will learn all about this, but thought maybe someone could look and tell me if at least I am on track at pressure 8. I am attaching the screen shot of the Sleepy head software synopsis. THANK YOU!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can someone advise about this?
Hi Marnid2014,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and someone will help you with interpreting your report, soon.
Best of luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, I wouldn't just jump on your care givers right off the bat, but I would sure wonder why they wanted to change you from a 6 which gave you an AHI (with a limited amount of data) of .86 to a 16 which took you all the way up to a 5.38! That's going in the wrong direction! You know, if I were you, I would print this out and next time at the doctor's office show it to him and ask exactly what the reason is for increasing your pressure and jacking up your AHI! But then again, I'm kinda forthright with my doc. I'm one of those strange birds who believes in taking charge of my healthcare... seems to be a lot of us birds of a feather here!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Marnid2014, welcome, stay at 8, you seemed to be doing fine at 6. Its not always about numbers either, how do you feel? if your symptoms are improving, just stay consistent at 8 for a while. Do you know what your AHI was at your original sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 02:43 PM)mjbearit Wrote: Wow, I wouldn't just jump on your care givers right off the bat, but I would sure wonder why they wanted to change you from a 6 which gave you an AHI (with a limited amount of data) of .86 to a 16 which took you all the way up to a 5.38! That's going in the wrong direction! You know, if I were you, I would print this out and next time at the doctor's office show it to him and ask exactly what the reason is for increasing your pressure and jacking up your AHI! But then again, I'm kinda forthright with my doc. I'm one of those strange birds who believes in taking charge of my healthcare... seems to be a lot of us birds of a feather here!

Thank you so much for answering me. I was shocked when the titration study said I needed a pressure of 16-17. The first night I was so miserable, I was blowing bubbles and choking all night, I couldn't swallow. It was awful. The tech argued with me about sleeping on my back, he said "You must" I can't titrate you without it, so I complied. In the morning he said, I had severe apnea.
My doctor was great, I told him what was going on and he said, let's take this in baby steps, I am putting you back to 6 and then if you think you need to go up more, have the DME come out and move up, but I only authorize you to 12, from there I would want another study. I felt, like at 8, I am doing well, but it's only been about 22 day's since I began thearapy. and on top of that, I got pneumonia and am just getting over it now. I have slept really well for the last few nights, and then wanted to know if I was doing ok, because, well, I'm sleeping LOL, how would I know? With this screen shot, does it look to you like I am doing ok? Thanks so much, I TRULY appreciate it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 02:53 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Marnid2014, welcome, stay at 8, you seemed to be doing fine at 6. Its not always about numbers either, how do you feel? if your symptoms are improving, just stay consistent at 8 for a while. Do you know what your AHI was at your original sleep study?

I actually feel really good and am sleeping very well, even after having pneumonia. This guy wanted me at 17!!!!!!! I knew something was wrong. My other screen shot shows 0 apneas 0 obstructive. I am using a nasal pillow, but it's too big, I have a very tiny nose and the small is too large and keeps slipping out at night and I have to adjust it again, so I asked the DME to get me an extra small. I wonder if even a kids might work better? This guy who did my study also made me wear a full face mask and kept jacking up the pressure, but the mask was so huge, I struggled with it for hours during the study. SIGH

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 02:55 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: "...The tech argued with me about sleeping on my back, he said "You must" I can't titrate you without it, so I complied. In the morning he said, I had severe apnea..."

I have found it common for the techs to insist on titrating a person on their back. They know OSA will be worse while on the back.

I don't think a tech is permitted to give a diagnosis. That's for an interpreting physician to do.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You sound like your doing well, try to get your pillows right and you'll be fine. Try having the hose coming from above your head either over a bed head or you can buy a product called a hose lift. It does sound like you need a very small pillow, just keep at the DME till you get what fits and don't even mention pressures to them Smile well done so far, this is the first steps on a long journey
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 03:05 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(03-04-2014, 02:55 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: "...The tech argued with me about sleeping on my back, he said "You must" I can't titrate you without it, so I complied. In the morning he said, I had severe apnea..."

I have found it common for the techs to insist on titrating a person on their back. They know OSA will be worse while on the back.

I don't think a tech is permitted to give a diagnosis. That's for an interpreting physician to do.

Why in the world would they want the worse case scenario when I can't sleep on my back and told him so? If a setting of 6 is controlling my Apnea, why would I even consider a setting of 17? Something just did not seem right here. I am so happy I found this software and this board, I know you all can't give advice, but holding my hand and at least letting me know I am on the right track is better than being in the dark for a month. I just have to be able to learn how to read the software.

Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps I am wrong?? But isn't the leak rate looking rather high?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 181 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  CPAP Data advise DaCronic072 1 292 01-02-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: DaCronic072
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,135 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 502 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 713 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [Treatment] Request for Advise on my new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel ExXGZmpK 25 2,953 06-09-2023, 10:50 PM
Last Post: ExXGZmpK
  Therapy Advise Switched to Full Face Mask AHI increased Roamomo 6 948 05-30-2023, 05:57 AM
Last Post: paulryan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.