Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone advise about this?
RE: Can someone advise about this?
I am having a problem with the nasal pillow being too big. My DME finally called today and told me they have an extra small for me, so hopefully that will help. The present one slips out of my nose all the time, drives me nuts. Question, when you adjust the nose pillows during the night, does that show up as a leak? If so, then I would know why it's showing that, I fiddle with it all the time. I have had pneumonia , and been very sick so it's been hard as well with a stuffy nose and I have to get up and rinse out the pillows a few times. They also told me to actually turn off the machine when I get up at night so it shows it was not a leak or a problem. So much to get used to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly, yes - however, if you get up for a bio-break or the like, a Full leak event is easy to tell that you took your mask off for a few minutes, ande may be better than showing as 2-3 different sleep periods (every time you turn off the machine, it starts a new period) - if someone looks at the charts, they will see that the leaks were minor except for when you took off the mask.

But, if only using the numbers - then ya, turning the machine off before taking the mask off is critical. And, every time you breathe through your mouth, or fiddle with the nasal pillows, it *can* create a leak.

The leak rate is (in my mind) just as important as the AHI numbers. When you have a high leak rate your therapy is just plain goofy and you must take all other readings with a grain of salt.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully when I get the new smaller pillow, this all will stop and I won't have to play around with the mask anymore. I can feel it leaking when it slips out and then I pull it out, put it back in, fiddle and adjust and then go back to sleep. Having been sick on top of all of this to boot has been a challenge. I will check my numbers again next week and see if they are good, so far, I guess it looks ok, but we will see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to ask, what is considered a minor leak rate?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 06:33 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Forgot to ask, what is considered a minor leak rate?

at or under 24 or under the red line in ResScan data download. If you aren't using that or SleepyHead, you should get it and look at your data.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have the option to change your device from the S9 Elite to the S9 AutoSet, you could probably put all these pressure issues behind you. When I started, my titration study resulted a wacky prescription too. With the help of the good people in this forum, I got my AutoSet enabled and tweaked the pressure range and let the AutoSet determine the right pressure. After three months, my pressure is consistent and my numbers are fine.

Like you, I also had a struggle with getting the right mask. Finally, I chose a full face mask because air was flowing out my mouth and I couldn't stand having anything close to my nose. For me, the full face mask is fine. Everyone has to make their own choice on the mask type and brand and I encourage you to try as many masks as it takes to get the one for you.

Hang in...it gets better!
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I will have to ask them before changing that, I have another week to go before they will make the machine mine under my insurance. They need to see compliance before they will do that. I think that is a great idea though. This morning my stats were:

AHI 0.93
Average leaks 2.22
Slept 8.5 hours

I actually pinned the sides of the mask on to my hair so it would not slip off of my nose, so I think that might have helped with the leaks. I'm wearing a nasal pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 174 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  CPAP Data advise DaCronic072 1 290 01-02-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: DaCronic072
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,134 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 500 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 710 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [Treatment] Request for Advise on my new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel ExXGZmpK 25 2,946 06-09-2023, 10:50 PM
Last Post: ExXGZmpK
  Therapy Advise Switched to Full Face Mask AHI increased Roamomo 6 943 05-30-2023, 05:57 AM
Last Post: paulryan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.