Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone help me with these flow rates?
RE: Can someone help me with these flow rates?
sasdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Its me again,

So I think that I have a pressure that has a consistent effect on my flow limitation. With this I mean that the flow limitations are all tackled. The shapes of my flow rate's look very different though, which isn't all that strange with a pressure of 16. I was wondering if these flow rates are still limited and if I need to bump up the IPAP. Anyone some advice?

Thanks !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
At PS 4.0 (16/12), your inspiration is still very flow limited. I think you might try 17/12 and see if a bit more pressure support helps move those inspiration waveforms towards a more normal curve.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hee Sleeprider,

Thank you I after a week of trialling this pressure I think it is indeed good to increase the pressure.

Tonight I will set it up at IPAP: 17 EPAP 12. One thing I do not understand is why I should only increase my IPAP as I feel like the inspiratory effort will be lightened by a higher EPAP or is this not true?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
It is the difference between EPAP and IPAP that makes inspiration easier. We only increase EPAP until obstructive apnea is mostly resolved, then we focus on IPAP or pressure support to increase ventilation volume and relieve flow limitation.

It looks like you may actually be able to reduce EPAP pressure a bit. On your next graphs, please minimize the monthly calendar by clicking the triangle in date line.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The higher pressures were making me sleep very uncomfortable, could not adjust to the high ventilation. So I used the approach sleeprider suggested, using a pressure support of 5 at a lower pressure: EPAP:7 and IPAP: 12. I slept pretty well without waking up however I still have long periods of the flow limit events, they are attached. Still my sleep feels like crap waking up gasping for air and out of breath.

These periods last up to 30 minutes and I was wondering if I should increase the pressure.

last picture is what most of the night looks like what I imagine is normal breathing

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s good to hear that comfort has increased. FL is still significant and I would stick with the strategy of increasing PS rather than pressure. Just keep increasing IPAP in small increments to break the restriction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 32 1 hour ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 30 2 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 449 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 141 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 141 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 234 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.