Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone review this SleepyHead data?
Can someone review this SleepyHead data?
[attachment=3496]Hi:

I'm new here so I'm sorry if I'm violating some board rules in some way.  I have been using AutoCPAP for a month and my AHI has consistently stayed in the 10-20 range.  I tried adjusting the pressure, and that had no noticeable impact.  I went in for a titration study, and the doctor set my pressure to 5.0, saying that I had no apneas in that range during the study.

Anyway, my AHI is still very high.  Attached is the most recent night from SleepyHead.  I'm sorry if I should be including something else instead of this.

What do I do?  I'm starting to feel hopeless.  I can't stay awake at work and I'm at risk of losing my job.  I can't wait another month to see the doctor.  Can anyone help me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can someone review this SleepyHead data?
which Phillips Respironics do you have? Read the model number on the bottom (DSX400x11, DSX500x11, DSX600x11)
A pressure of 5 is too little for you. I would set your min to 6 and your max to 15 then post, expect further adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi apneahead1234 - Welcome

Please review the topics under my Useful Links section below for information as to what information is needed to help us with your SleepyHead data.  Displaying the Details tab data will provide better information than the Events tab.  You can turn off the VS2 event flag as well.

-Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard. You have many hypopneas at 5 cm-water. Those could be prevented with a pressure increase.
In my amateur opinion, 5 is just silly. Might as well have a butterfly flap its wings. Saying you had no apneas at 5 is akin to saying we detected no apneas when you were not hooked up.

Now, if increased pressure raises the CA count, then the CPAP machine is likely not the correct machine as you may have mixed apnea -- a combination of obstructive and central apnea. That will require jumping through more hoops. More studies, and perhaps untimately to an ASV machine.

What happens at higher pressures? Why are you running fixed pressure if you have an autoPAP?

Let's nail down exactly which machine you have. Kind Regards, Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's some more detail.  My machine is a DSX500H11.

I want to be clear that I've put the pressure on 6-15 previously and that hasn't helped.  I don't know why my doctor would want the pressure to go back to 5, but they said that is what worked in the titration study, and they said it was most effective if it was set to a fixed number.  Why would they say that if it wasn't true?

I'm sorry I seem so delirious.  This is about the worst thing that has happened to me in a long time.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a "Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine" which is what you should say in your profile.
I thought you had tried a spread before, but it would help if you can provide a chart with a range similar to 6-15. That will tell us more about what you are experiencing. I expect you will see a recommendation of different settings once we see that, otherwise the suggestion would be to raise your pressure in steps.
Post Reply Post Reply
As everyone else has pointed out, your pressure is too low.  I will suggest that you bump up the pressure to at least 8cm to see how that addresses your Hypopneas and OA's.  With an empty humidifier, look at the bottom of your machine.  You should see a number beginning with something like DSX . . .  then a number.  It will really help us to know your CPAP capabilities.

-Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your setting of 5cm was likely determined at a sleep lab, in a strange bed, a strange pillow, with you wired up to a lot of instrumentation, with your ability to change position hindered by all the attachments, let alone a mask and hose on your face for the first time, and breathing with a machine blowing in your face, yea I'm sure that was a real normal night (sarcasm intended).  We see real settings that differ from lab settings all the time here.  I'm sure that under THOSE circumstances I'm sure it was a good choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 10:14 AM)apneahead1234 Wrote: I want to be clear that I've put the pressure on 6-15 previously and that hasn't helped.  I don't know why my doctor would want the pressure to go back to 5, but they said that is what worked in the titration study, and they said it was most effective if it was set to a fixed number.  Why would they say that if it wasn't true?

Why? Who knows. Obviously it doesn't work at 5 -- the proof is in the data. Hang in there.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dr. prescribed a fixed pressure of 9. When he finally looked at data after several years he decided it wasn't adequate and increased the setting to 10. I then got a sleepyHead compatible machine and saw hat 10 wasn't working well. AHI numbers were often in the teens. I discovered this forum and was advised to  use auto settings with a range of 9-14. Since then my AHI numbers are usually been 0.0 to 0.7 and never higher than 3. Choosing to ignore my Doctor has been beneficial. I have since informed him of the change in my last compliance visit and got no grief for having made the changes.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 112 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oscar review please SleepyJeff 1 171 04-04-2024, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 112 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 223 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 55,131 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Sleep Study Review - Missed PLMS? pezhead99 4 370 01-22-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: WhyMe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.