Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone tell me if they saw "this" before or know what is this?
Can someone tell me if they saw "this" before or know what is this?
Hi all, this is not my first post here, i posted many times and you were all helpful, but i am returning here because after all the questions, trials, doctors, and 2 years time passed, i can't and nobody else is able to figure what exactly is waking me up!

if you want the shortcut and to be able to exactly "see" what is happening, here is a video of my homemade sleep endoscopy , it shows what an "arousal" happening at the end of the video, that is what happens though the night , every night and wakes me from sleep. it happens always while i am drifting to sleep, starting to dream, and through the night, each 2 hrs first, then at the end of the night, each 10 mns almost. i am always dreaming when it happens and i wake up!
P.S: wore an oximeter to check my oxygen saturation before these jerks happen and was above 95%.

here is the video link : https://youtu.be/2qXF8oxJfVs

if you want to read what i did in those 2 years, here it is by chronological order: 
 I always slept deep for at least 8 hrs straight without any problems, not smoker/drinker no drugs or meds, just morning coffee.

• 2/2018: a chiropractor cracked my neck so hard I felt nauseous, then back of neck pain/burning for 3 months with difficulty to sleep, then went away.
  • 4/18: acid reflux was coming with vengeance, did upper GI endoscopy and found mild gastritis
  • 8/18: STARTED WAKING UP THROUGH THE NIGHT, NO REASON WHY, MOSTLY WHEN I AM FALLING ASLEEP OR WAS DREAMING. DON'T WAKE UP SUFFOCATING, OR NOT BREATHING. JUST GET A STRONG SIGNAL OF "ALERTNESS" AND MY BRAIN WAKES UP. I COULD SLEEP FAST ENOUGH AGAIN MOST OF TIMES. CLOUDY BRAIN, NOT ABLE TO FOCUS THROUGH THE DAY NOT ABLE TO WORK(PROGRAMMING).
  • 11/2018: sleep study showing : 61% sleep efficency
                                                    23 arousals/hr
                                                    13 arousals/r apnea/hypopnea
                                                    6.5 RERAs/hr
                                                    REM & NREM  AHI: 17/hr
                                                    REM AHI: 43/hr
  • 1/19: fast forward trying to figure it out( dust, air purifier, noise machine, supplements, etc..) did a sleep study showed AHI 17 with hypopneas and RERAs.
  • 2/19: tried CPAP and did not stop the awakenings.
  • 3/19: tried bi-level machine(advanced CPAP) did not do anything. Still waking up, still fragmented sleep still zombie.
  • 4/19: found famous NYC doctor about Upper airway resistance, and performed a surgery of UPPP, removed part of epiglottis, and tonsils. 3 months later no improvement.
  • 7/19: tried MAD( mandibular advancement device) no improvement.
  • 8/19: second surgery of partial glossectomy( remove part of base of tongue). Very minimal improvement of the severity of zombiness through the day but no effect on multiple awakenings.
  • 11/19: home sleep study:
    The patient spent 16.7% in REM.The time in the supine position (wake and sleep) was 3 hrs. 15 minThe time in the non-supine position was N/A minutes.pRDI: 12.2 (REM: 12.1 ; NREM: 12.2)pAHI: 5.7 (REM: 6 ; NREM: 5.6)pRDI supine: 14.7pAHI supine: 5.9Oxygen Desaturation Events (ODI%): 5.5ODI% (Supine): 5.3RECOMMENDATIONSSaturation < 90%: 0.1 minutesSaturation < 88%: minutesSaturation < 80%: 0 minutesSaturation < 70%: 0 minutesLowest Oxygen Saturation: 84%Average Desaturation: 93.8%Average Oxygen Saturation: 97%The minimal oxygen saturation was 84%. Time below 88% was 0 minutes.Min pulse rate 33 bpm. Mean pulse rate during sleep was 61 bpm. Max pulse rate 117 bpm.Mild Obstructive Sleep apnea(OSA)Mild Oxygen Desaturation
  • 11/19: tried a nasal stent( a wire mesh to keep soft palate open). Didn't do anything to my sleep.
  • 9/19: sleep endoscopy showed no collapse this time ( had total of 3 sleep endoscopies which doctor said my issue happen in REM and sleep endoscopy use anesthesia which can not mimic REM sleep) so the doctor said nothing more can be done!
  • 1/20: I purchased a fiber-optic endoscope to try to sleep with it and see what is actually happening, I could only almost fall asleep with it but not completely sleep, in those trials it showed: my arytnoids spasming, and tongue partially closing airway, and my throat getting "an electric shock as soon as I fall asleep which in the video looks like a sudden twitch in all my throat, tongue muscles. I Showed the video to my doctor so he decided to do a 3rd surgery set. ( video link is attached to this email).
  • 2/20: 3rd surgery of base of the tongue advancement, hyoid bone suspension, and shaving of excess tissue on arytnoids.
  • 3/20: Very light improvement, I'm still waking up through the night and getting on/off days.
I also recorded myself with video and could see my jaw/face jerking before i wake up, i don't know if these are related to my throat jerks or in parallel or because my latest surgery which the doctor has implanted a plate in my chain to tie my tongue base to it, so maybe these jerks are new because of it and maybe they were there before i don't know.

Medication i tried:
I tried: Klonopin, amitriptyline, Magnesium glycinate, ALA, Ambien, CBD oil, electrolyte, Melatonin. Nothing did stop the jerks. Amitriptyline kept me sedated to sleep longer hours when I keep waking up which helped the zombiness.

I always thought that the jolt I get was because my body was felling a partial obstruction and wakes me up before a full obstruction, but after all these surgeries plus CPAP machines I am now thinking maybe i was waking up because of the nervous jerks not breathing problems( although I might also have had them in parallel) !!
i wore an oximeter to check if there is a drop in oxygen before that throat jerk happens but my oxygen level was not less than 95%.

I am now thinking that the sleep study threw me ( and doctors) off the real reason by focusing on upper airway respiratory problems instead.
I always had suspicions about hypnic jerks( before recent videos) and I went to many neurologists asking if there was a way to test those jerks while I am sleeping or in a sleep study and the answer was NO there were not.

Question: What is happening? what is that jerk in my throat? what can i test/try ? doctor to see? 

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP use is making it worse!
i tried my Aircurve 10 VAUTO today, 2 months after the surgery, and it makes my "jerk" happen more.
I think the jerk is even the arytenoids or the last spasm as in this video: https://youtu.be/2qXF8oxJfVs

I am attaching also a sleepyhead screenshot to show you the jerk in the graph as soon as i drifted to sleep which woke me up and i stopped the machine , the arytenoids spasm or my whole throat spasm, and there is an involontary quick inhale as in 2nd graph attached.

if you want to read what i am talking about and maybe give an opinion, please refer to my ( still with no comments yet i posted last week ) :
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...at-is-this

Why is the machine increasing my jerks? without it i seem to be able to sleep little for few hours before the jerks start happenig with a vengence ( or the apnea i am not sure which now..)

Advice is appreciated
thanks
[Image: SqtPQ4D.png]

[Image: S6Pw13t.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can someone tell me if they saw "this" before or know what is this?
Hi Sleepyzzzz. I have put your two threads together so that all the information is in one place.

I'm sorry I personally have no idea how to address this problem, which is not something I've seen before. Hopefully some other members will be able to assist.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

I also have laryngospasms at night when falling asleep, to combat the situation I have setup my Bipap as follows:

Easy breathe : off
Trigger : Very high
Cycle : high
rise time 500ms
ps : atleast 5
mask type : pediatric (this makes it even more sensitive)

Unfortunately theres no specific medication for this. A complete solution would be a tracheotomy.
I do take Magnesium orotate 1200mg daily on top of Cetirizine 10mg at night, Dunno if that helps much though.

Also I noticed that my body's reaction to a laryngospasm is very severe and if it happens i top it off with 2mg of propranolol to calm my racing heart after.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP use is making it worse!
(04-09-2020, 09:56 PM)sleepyzzz Wrote: i tried my Aircurve 10 VAUTO today, 2 months after the surgery, and it makes my "jerk" happen more.
I think the jerk is even the arytenoids or the last spasm as in this video: https://youtu.be/2qXF8oxJfVs

I am attaching also a sleepyhead screenshot to show you the jerk in the graph as soon as i drifted to sleep which woke me up and i stopped the machine , the arytenoids spasm or my whole throat spasm, and there is an involontary quick inhale as in 2nd graph attached.

if you want to read what i am talking about and maybe give an opinion, please refer to my ( still with no comments yet i posted last week ) :
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...at-is-this

Why is the machine increasing my jerks? without it i seem to be able to sleep little for few hours before the jerks start happenig with a vengence ( or the apnea i am not sure which now..)

Advice is appreciated
thanks
[Image: SqtPQ4D.png]

[Image: S6Pw13t.jpg]
Hi, Sleepyzzz

_ first ideas:  this detail looks a deep suddeenly flow-limited inspiration..... should more details would be available to the right (including other similar events), I would suspect you have aroused/awoke just after this. Such deep inspirations very often are followed by long exalation/groaning (look for this in your charts). 

_ my first suspicions/hypothesis on diagnosis: this would be catathrenias (plenty of literature available; tough thing!1; some says catathrenias would have been satisfactorily tamed by CPAP relatively high pressures; however there are arguing against) or PLMS mimic RDB ( see this: https://academic.oup.com/sleep/article/4...63/2731733; shoul be this/PLMS only medication coulld take care; Dopamine boosted? calcium channels-ligant like Pregabaline, etc)

_ would you please post some more details on chart with the attached waveforms?...so that I could eventually have more informartion/insights on your case?

_ your VAUTO parameters came from where? have you been on a systematic titrations as per RESMEd protocol?

all the best

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2020, 06:32 AM)crowtor Wrote: Hi

I also have laryngospasms at night when falling asleep, to combat the situation I have setup my Bipap as follows:

rise time 500ms

Unfortunately theres no specific medication for this. A complete solution would be a tracheotomy.
I do take Magnesium orotate 1200mg daily on top of Cetirizine 10mg at night, Dunno if that helps much though.

Also I noticed that my body's reaction to a laryngospasm is very severe and if it happens i top it off with 2mg of propranolol to calm my racing heart after.

_ sorry crowtor: we post at same time. Looks interesting this possibility of laryngopasm..... I am going to study further!  Plan to go for some literature on this... have you any to suggest?

thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Oddly enough, I had the same flow pattern last night. I believe it to be a "sniff" reflex while you are inhaling. I am experiencing some reaction to the pollen this year and find myself sniffing more than normal.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hi, thanks for the reply, i posted many charts in my previous posts if you would like to look into them
it is not catathrenia, as i don't wake up from groaning, if you want to "see" what is happening check the youtube video of my sleep endoscopy showing the spasms.

what i know is that, it happens only when i am drifting to sleep, or when i am dreaming. also from the video and the graph, there is no "apnea" before it, i don't know if it "senses" an apnea and hence jerks and wake me up or if it is neurological. 
how would i know if it is respiratory or neurological ? 

also the machine aggravates it, why? is it the pressure on the arytenoids? i don't really understand.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2020, 06:32 AM)crowtor Wrote: Hi

rise time 500ms

thanks for this, i might try it. although i'm not even sure if my problem is apnea or something else. i know that the machine makes it worse and that the nights i was wearing the mask, my AHI was less then 1, but the jerks kept happenign and i kept waking up. 

did you try sleepiong without cpap ? do you sleep worse without?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.