Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone with a Resmed Airsense 10 help me with preventing rainout?
Can someone with a Resmed Airsense 10 help me with preventing rainout?
I need to have my humidity set at 5 or higher and I'm using a heated tube. I set my tube temperature to 80 and I don't want to go any higher. The temperature in my room varies from 70 to 73 and I don't want to increase it. If I lowered my tube temperature to 75 or 76 would that reduce the chance of rainout or increase it? What other ways could I prevent rainout? Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can someone with a Resmed Airsense 10 help me with preventing rainout?
I would lower your humidity to 3 or lower and leave your tube temp at 80 if you can tolerate it, a higher humidity results in more moisture = rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 10:41 PM)JustMac Wrote: I would lower your humidity to 3 or lower and leave your tube temp at 80 if you can tolerate it, a higher humidity results in more moisture = rainout.

I won't be able to handle a lower humidity. Should I adjust the tube temperature up or down though to prevent rainout?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 09:45 PM)Ihaveapnea Wrote: What other ways could I prevent rainout? Thanks in advance.
Set the climate control on "Auto" and that should take care of rainout
http://www.resmed.com/epn/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

If already on "auto" and getting rainout, you might consider hose cover but there are 2 schools of thought about covering the heated hose, one say that the heated hose is already heated, covering is not needed as it interfere with the sensors and the second one doesn't care, your guess is as good as mine
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend humidity at 4 and tube temperature at 80. If you got to a humidity setting of 5, then a slightly higher tube temperature may be helpful, say 84. Basically humidity and tube temperature need to move together to prevent rainout, and the the colder the room, the higher the tube temperatures should be. For very cool rooms, consider getting a mask cover from Supplier #31 to prevent condensation on the mask inside surface.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I totally agree with Zonk on this,I also run mine on auto and very rare do I have rain out. If you haven't tried auto please do , if that doesn't work for you then you'll need to experiment , because what would work for me in Minnesota more than likely wouldn't for California.
Good Luck and.....
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd add a hose cozy or pull your hose under the blankets. That should help. My bedroom varies between 66 and 74 at night and I eliminate the rainout by keeping the hose under the blankets.
Post Reply Post Reply
Room at 64. Tube at 84 with hose cover. Set to Auto. Some of tube under covers. No rainout. By the way, rainout on this machine is a huge problem and was a problem for me when I was starting out.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2017, 10:44 PM)sonicboom Wrote: Room at 64. Tube at 84 with hose cover. Set to Auto. Some of tube under covers. No rainout. By the way, rainout on this machine is a huge problem and was a problem for me when I was starting out.

Thanks very much. Is there anyway to keep the hose temperature at 80 or below and the humidifier at 5 or above and avoid rainout? Increasing the temperature above 80 makes me feel like I'm sort of drowning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP machine with the ResMed AirFit N20 mask. This is my third mask and I, too, have struggled with adjusting the air pressure, humidity and temperature settings with all three. I've never experienced "rain-out" the way I've heard about it on boards. But with the AirFit N20 I have experienced light condensation with tiny droplets of water in the nasal cushion and water tank. Since I lowered the humidity level to 2, I've had no water droplet problem at all.

Through trial and error and research I have come up with what works best for me regarding everything CPAP therapy. And here is where I stand today and hopefully I'll be okay tomorrow.

RAMP: Off
EPR: Off
Air Pressure: 4-6
Humidity Level: 2
Tube Temperature: 81
Room temperature in bedroom about 62 degrees while sleeping.

My AHI levels are always under 1.0 and usually about 0.5 And although I may use the machine about 6-7 hours each day, I don't sleep most of that time. I probably get about 4 hours sleep on machine and snooze other times off machine.

I'm working on my erratic sleep pattern and I don't mind saying, it's a pain in the royal rump. But it's getting better.

Does anybody really have perfect days with a CPAP machine? Personally, I'd settle for good days with mild sleep challenges cuz that seems to be the norm for me. But in all humility, I'm very thankful that CPAP therapy has eliminated those dragged-out tired days and that's a huge plus for me.

For the rain-out problem? Lower humidity level to (2) and set temperature at 81. Of course this is only a suggestion. But if you try it once, who knows? you're body might like it. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I just bought a ResMed tubing wrap and it sure makes sleeping more comfortable.

Best wishes to all of us for Happy C-Papping

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,710 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,580 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,758 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 225 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.