Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can starting to use cpap berelated to daytime anxiety?
Ohmy 
Can starting to use cpap berelated to daytime anxiety?
Hi guys,

Ive started my official cpap treatment about a week ago and Ive had some good and some bad nights trying to adjust.

Prior to my sleep study ive felt some anxiety attacks that caused me to run to the er thinking it may be heart related, but after all the studies came back good I placed the blame on the stress my apnea was causing during the night.

Ive noticed during this week my daytime chest pressure and shortness of breath want to creep up on me, and I was wondering if its just anxiety simply due to the afjustment period of sleeping with my cpap.

I also noticed that when going into sleep, right before that point of blacking out, I used to jump up or wake up because I would have an apnea, but now when im going to sleep my body gets ready for it but I see the cpap doing its job and i try to relax and let it pass., almost like if my body is learning to trust the machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can starting to use cpap berelated to daytime anxiety?
Hi ezdrifler,
Yes, it is an adjustment, some of us just take longer than others to adapt.

Give it some time, afterall, it is not easy being tethered to a hose and machine and have a mask on your face every night. Smile

The anxiety will lessen in time. Just remember the good this therapy is doing for you.

Hang in there!
Sleep-well

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't personally had that experience, but I don't see why it wouldn't happen, particularly if you have generalized anxiety issues. I have felt the surprising "jerks" right before falling asleep - those are actually quite common and nothing to worry about. They are basically the result of your nervous system trying to shut down for the day but not being quite ready.

I think / hope that as you adjust to therapy, you will find that your overall stress and anxiety levels decrease. You just have to let go, make yourself as comfortable as possible, and believe in the therapy. For me, I was addicted to CPAP after trying it for 3 hours during my sleep study. I couldn't wait to get my results and prescription and start incorporating it into my nighttime ritual. So, all I deal with now is "fine tuning." But not everyone has that same experience. Some take days, weeks, even months to adjust, and anxiety can be a part of the equation.

In any case, I wish you well during the adjustment period and recommend that you start taking an active role in your therapy, as well as becoming a regular on this board. That will also help to reduce anxiety, as you will feel more empowered. You will also learn so much more from the people here than you will from your supplier (or anywhere else, really).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ezdrifler,
CPAP therapy can take some time to get used to, just stick with it, it does get better ofer time.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure can. Just think about it. You are already having problems sleeping because you are having trouble BREATHING. We kind of like to breathe. Then you get a machine next to your bed, strap a hose and some plastic on your face, and try to get good sleep.

Gonna take a while to get used to it and also to trust the machine. Make sure you make it as short as possible and get your comfort setting correct, if you are not comfortable you will have a problem sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 97 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 674 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 213 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,749 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Extreme Anxiety during day after CPAP usage...something physiological? gohoos1998 9 718 12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Leedsunited92

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.