Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can such periods of variable breathing and corresponding SpO2 swings be avoided?
Can such periods of variable breathing and corresponding SpO2 swings be avoided?
Please advise what might be done to correct this variable breathing and the apparently consequent swings (up to 8% variation) in SpO2.

Thank you for looking at this and any help suggested.

2SB

I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can such periods of variable breathing and corresponding SpO2 swings be avoided?
You will get some responses if you can revise your graphs according to the directions in the link in my signature line on Chart Organization.

We only need to see:
Events
Flow rate (Include a 2 minute segment of variable breathing)
Flow Limits (ResMed only)
Pressure
Leaks
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can such periods of variable breathing and corresponding SpO2 swings be avoided?
I'm also curious as to which mask you are using.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2020, 09:38 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I'm also curious as to which mask you are using.

The P-10 is my favorite mask I have used for at least the past year, Brevida is a close second. Am pleased to use both as a mouth breathing side sleeper.

Re OP:

I include here a not very revealing 2 min 38 sec snip that shows 3 nodes, but not much else, absent those other (confusing?) parameters in the OP graphics. The variable breathing is prominent but  intermittent most nights. A lot of the time, as is true below, the FL and Snore and Leak are all minimal, giving rise to my inquiry.  

In the OP the 20 minute and full night graphics present two problems, my breathing and my graphics in that OP. (However, I inadvertently duplicated the 20 minute graphic instead of posting in the OP my earlier 2+ minute one, which would have been just as confusing and unacceptable with similar graphics.) But I still think the SpO2 graphics are relevant to the core question, if not the other graphs I've routinely prepared, found helpful and included in OP. For example It's been great getting position and acceleration directly into OSCAR (thanks to pholynyk, sawinglogz and Somnopose), instead of pasting OSCAR screen shots into Excel and having to match scales to get a synched-motion picture. Those graphs keep hammering home the point that I have to prevent anything near supine sleep, can't get rid of my stopper.

Other:

I think the inhale and exhale times and ratio may prove relevant, but I only recently began looking at them as I blunder forward on this next challenge, variable breathing.

Checking it out before sending it to a xPaPer friend, I happened to use my Autoset rather than Vauto last night and, wow, lots of FL showed up and is reflected in FR and SpO2 curves. I wonder if the Vauto algorithm or other device efficiency differences account for that (both operating at close to the same 95% pressures except EPR is 3 and PS 4). I notice that the Autoset varies pressure a lot more often than the Vauto.

No time now to find and post today's findings of papers dealing with a connection--surprising to me--between higher fitness and highly variable PR (HRV) as an indicator of that. All puzzling to me (probably a rabbit trail) but with a rate adjusting pacemaker holding me at a minimum setting of 60 BPM (instead of 38 to 40 as my bradycardia is without PM in sleep), I wonder if--aside from benefits of having that device--it may be suppressing or interfering with what would be natural higher HRV and it shows up in nodes that are often-synchronized but 180 degrees out of phase with dips in SpO2. One paper deals with gains in the HR FR control loop and points out how instability can arise; interesting stuff. 

In upcoming visits to cardiologists I'll bring representative graphics and go over the SpO2 variability and amplitude as well as questions about the CO2 and pressure signal control loop from the heart's sensors, the sympathetic system's role. 

Thanks for responding, Hydrangea,

2SB
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
2SleepBetta,
For the most part, just looking at your graphs and numbers, the low AHI would suggest you are well treated, but we all know that a low AHI doesn't tell everything, and certainly doesn't reflect how we feel.

There are definitely dips in your oxygen level during the night. Are you on supplemental oxygen? Possibly something to talk to your cardiologist about. I would print out a couple graphs for him to look. Try to line up where your oxygen level dips with the flow rate graph. You breathing does seem labored.

I wish I could help more, but hang in there. Someone with more knowledge will be able to advise.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,117 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 391 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 511 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 826 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.