Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can sudden increase in AHI be linked to Coronavirus infection?
Can sudden increase in AHI be linked to Coronavirus infection?
Hi,

After about 6 months of AHI=0.5 on average, it jumped to about 2 for the last 6 nights with no seen reason. Can this jumped be a warning of Coronavirus infection? I'm not experiencing any other symptom.

Thanks,
Arik
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can sudden increase in AHI be linked to Coronavirus infection?
A symptom of Covid-19 is difficulty breathing. That could be indicated by a rise in obstructive events. That said I have NOT heard of this connection. I have heard of CPAP helping Covid patients.

A decrease in Oxygen levels is a Covid symptom. Many CPAP users have an Oximeter because their Oxygen levels at
Night were low from their apnea if you can measure your overnight oxygen levels, daytime too, and if low take a Covid test for your peace of mind
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Fred.
Is any of the parameters presented in Oscar can teach difficulties in breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI , specifically OAI, HI, Flow Limits, and low Oxygen (you need a compatible oximeter) . If short OSA indicates difficulty in breathing by definition. Read correctly the flow rate chart tells all.

I sense a panic developing if it is not already there. There is only one thing that will clear your mind, A Covid test.

I have several common Covid symptoms, a cough, shortness of breath, and difficulty breathing. You should see them react when I get screened for Covid. The issue is they never ask if these are recent symptoms. I haven't been in situations, other than shopping where I could be exposed.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most sensitive statistic indicating airway restriction is Flow Limitation. The 95% flow limitation is a very good indicator of any changes in respiratory effort if it trends higher. This can be very readily seen in OSCAR software.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have shortness of breath all the time, and when I check in at the docs offices, sometimes the temperature is up a degree or so. The shortness of breath is due to COPD and walking into the docs office to check in makes the temp go up a bit. If you are concerned, get checked.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what the Covid requirements in Israel are, but here they are generally to avoid being in contact with people outside your home, and when you can, wear a mask, keep a distance, and frequent hand washing. If you have been following a similar procedure it would reduce the potential for catching Covid. Contact with outsiders is where there is the greatest risk of contacting the virus.

Stay safe and let us know what happens
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
my experience is that my machine & oscar data, & therefore my apnea, varies quite a bit. I might get what I consider horrible results for a night, sometimes a few weeks. I try adjusting this and that, then inexplicably return to better results. no obvious reason(s).

particularly as you say you have no covid symptoms, I'd say do yourself a favor & don't look for it in your cpap data until/unless you have exposure or symptoms. if respiratory symptoms are common in covid, I should think you'd notice the breathing difficulties along with the higher ahi. just my opinion...
Post Reply Post Reply
FALSE ALARM
It looks like everything is OK although I experienced several strange fillings during the last week.
Right now I suspect that the elevated AHI belongs to a “faulty” cervical collar (they were all centrals though…)
Thanks a lot to all good people who sent me feedback on this issue.
Arik,
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 84 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 154 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 200 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 331 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,270 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 433 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 406 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.