Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't adjust to the CPAP
RE: Can't adjust to the CPAP
(03-29-2015, 06:39 AM)theroefam Wrote: Wow thanks for all the great advice.

I understand about the Elite vs Autoset. The DME said that my prescription was for a CPAP not an Autoset (that's why I was going for the Elite). Maybe I'll discuss it with the Dr and see if they can change the prescription.

I went ahead and changed my pressure to 7. I didn't think the Dr would want to change it over the phone, especially when I have an appt on Thursday.

Anyway the results were unbelievably GREAT. I slept close to 6 hours without waking, then when I did wake I was not fighting with the machine I just felt like I was breathing normal. Then I was able to get another 1.5 hrs of sleep in. AHI - 0.9 and Leak rate 2 L/min. AHI down from about 1.5.

This is definitely the most positive I've felt since Feb 10.

If they are switching your machine, please insist on an Autoset. That way you can set it within a range and the machine will adjust to you and your needs, not the other way around.

Glad to hear your switching the pressure helped a lot.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 06:39 AM)theroefam Wrote: Wow thanks for all the great advice.

I understand about the Elite vs Autoset. The DME said that my prescription was for a CPAP not an Autoset (that's why I was going for the Elite). Maybe I'll discuss it with the Dr and see if they can change the prescription.

I went ahead and changed my pressure to 7. I didn't think the Dr would want to change it over the phone, especially when I have an appt on Thursday.

Anyway the results were unbelievably GREAT. I slept close to 6 hours without waking, then when I did wake I was not fighting with the machine I just felt like I was breathing normal. Then I was able to get another 1.5 hrs of sleep in. AHI - 0.9 and Leak rate 2 L/min. AHI down from about 1.5.

This is definitely the most positive I've felt since Feb 10.

All three machines are CPAPs, they just have different features. Issuing an Elite or Autoset may reduce the profitability for the DME, but it is not contrary to the prescription. The better DMEs have been issuing the Autoset to all CPAP patients. The wholesale price differential is almost negligible. You should not be charged a price difference. All CPAPs from most basic to Auto are reimbursed under insurance under the same billing code. Charging you extra (above the allowable) would be double billing, which is illegal under most insurance policies. If this happens, hold the bill and consult with your insurer before paying.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just my experience but my Elite S9 has been doing a great job. Doing better on a steady pressure than I was on a range of pressures when I had a loaner S9 Autoset.

Admit I'd like to run this experiment again now that I have a little more time on therapy. Feel everyone at some point should try a steady pressure for 7-10 days. Read that some are sensitive to the pressure changes, when they run a range they feel the arousals are caused by the sensitivity to changes.

The advantage, I see to the Autoset, is it can run either a steady pressure or a range and allow you to experiment with both methods. Presently my Elite has my AHI down to a 0.6 average at 11cm, with the odd 0.0 night. Working for me and the important feature is the data capability and the support here. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 06:36 PM)Napmeister Wrote: Doing better on a steady pressure than I was on a range of pressures

Same here, I was running in autoset mode for a long time and decided to go to straight pressure and I ended up feeling a positive difference immediately.

Just because it's auto-adjusting doesn't make it any more beneficial or sophisticated if it's disturbing your sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
The benefit of having an AutoSet compared to a straight CPAP is this: You have the option of using it either way. If theroefam can get an AutoSet, then he can have a range of pressures set and watch the data for a while to determine where his 90% pressure is, then if he wishes, he could just change the machine to straight CPAP and use it that way.
theroefam, all you need is a script from your Doctor that says Data Capable Auto CPAP.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a believer in the autoset. I'm also a believer in a fairly tight range. For instance a few points below, and above whatever target pressure you arrive at. I hurt myself a couple of weeks ago. Looking back I can see where my pressure for some of those nights went up a little just because I slept in different positions. I did not have to consult with my doc, or change the settings myself; the machine took care of me very well.

I can sleep on my back just as well as I can sleep on my side these days. But I'm not sure I could do that if I did not have a variable machine pressure.

........and besides, and probably most importantly, the Sleepyhead graphs look way cooler when you're using an autoset.

Now, having said all that, I am not one to diss on single pressure machines, such as the Elite. I think they're fine machines capable of providing very good therapy to a lot of people. But I like the idea that without expending anything more on the purchase of a machine I can make those decisions as I go along this merry road of figuring out the next best thing to make my cute little body happy.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 06:39 AM)theroefam Wrote: The DME said that my prescription was for a CPAP not an Autoset (that's why I was going for the Elite). Maybe I'll discuss it with the Dr and see if they can change the prescription.

If you bring the machine back to the provider and drop it off, announcing that you will be looking for a provider who will dispense you the AutoSet, even if it is set up in CPAP mode, it is quite possible that the therapist will immediately provide an AutoSet set up in CPAP therapy mode, or will agree to order one for you, in order to keep your business.

If the doctor changes the pressure prescription to a range, even if very small, like 6 to 8, then the provider would have no choice but to change the machine to something else.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I got it. Thanks for all the great input.

My Dr appt is Thusday so we'll see how it goes.

I agree the Autoset makes the most sense, especially thinking of the future. But I won't get too bummed if the Dr is hesitant. Right now the pressure of 7 is giving me good results and at 6 I don't get enough air. So I really don't have a range right now. But it's not very future thinking, I know.

The main thing for me right now is to get the detailed reporting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure what happened. I was doing better, I think, with the increased pressure the last 4 nights. Then last night it felt like I was at one day 1. No sleep at all.

After three hours I finally just gave up and took the mask off. The weird thing was the machine showed a higher leak rate and AHI than I've had for weeks. Especially weird since most of my apneas do not come usually until the second half of the night.

I'm feeling like this is not working out right now. 2 months of no sleep is putting my work and home life to the test.
Post Reply Post Reply

(04-01-2015, 03:07 PM)theroefam Wrote: Not sure what happened. I was doing better, I think, with the increased pressure the last 4 nights. Then last night it felt like I was at one day 1. No sleep at all.

After three hours I finally just gave up and took the mask off. The weird thing was the machine showed a higher leak rate and AHI than I've had for weeks. Especially weird since most of my apneas do not come usually until the second half of the night.

I'm feeling like this is not working out right now. 2 months of no sleep is putting my work and home life to the test.

I sort of lost track: What is your pressure right now? 6, or 7? What mask are you using?

So last night you had a bad night. That will happen. When it does, you need to figure out what is different and make changes. You do not respond by taking off the mask.

The thing is, yes, you're feeling like your sleep has been suffering for 2 months. But with apnea, your sleep actually has been suffering for years. It will take a little while to turn this around.

I wish you already had an "Auto" machine so you could set a range of say 6 to 12 and see what happens. But you don't, so you have to dance with whom brought you. If you are still waking up thinking you cannot easily inhale, your pressure is still too low. Go to 7.5.

Once you see your Doc you may gain better clarity.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 314 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR? theredheadsaid 65 7,298 09-09-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Adjust time on Airsense 11 Liveoak86 2 647 08-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Liveoak86
Sad Please review my data and help me adjust my settings DC2Shogun 61 4,470 08-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is it time to adjust up or down? SleeplessNSeattle 1 466 07-16-2023, 02:36 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can’t adjust to nasal mask HRU1923 6 942 06-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: HRU1923
  Please help adjust my setting 1978 11 1,308 04-01-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: 1978

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.