Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't adjust to the CPAP
RE: Can't adjust to the CPAP
Do not raise the pressure because you feel resistance when inhaling. When you inhale without the mask the pressure is zero. When you inhale with the mask the pressure is 6.

The resistance you feel is psychological, not physical.

After you get used to the machine it will feel normal. Do not sleep without the machine as that will simply make it harder for your body and mind to adjust to it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Made it to the Dr. He was pretty resistant to the suggestion of going to the Autoset. He said it wasn't needed. He wants to increase the pressure to 7, I mentioned I did for the last four nights and it was better but was still waking up a lot. He also gave me a prescription of Trazodone.

I went to the DME after and switched my A10 CPAP for the Elite.
So now my pressure is at 7 and I've been using the P10 pillows. I'm mixed between the sizes the medium size fits better but the large is a little quieter. So I've been switching a little between sizes.

So far one night was a little better one night was not. I've been looking at the SH data. What should I be looking for, now that I have the data (or which graphs should I attach to be looked at)?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't understand docs that choose instead of treating apnea with the machine you've got in your bedroom, to prescribe drugs instead. I know lots of folks around here use various meds. But to me, that should be a last resort sort of thing, not the first thing reached for.

I would much prefer you were using an autoset machine and narrowing in on treatment that can resolve your apnea without drugs. But even with the Elite, along with the Sleepyhead system, you can do this yourself.

What do the Sleepyhead reports show so far? The things of primary interest right now are AHI, and the breakdown into OA's, CA's, Hypops.... Then the leak rate is looked at just to know you're staying under the red line.

Also, when you make changes, just change one thing at a time. Then watch the results for a few days until you get a good picture of where you're at.

Post Reply Post Reply
Understand. I asked but didn't want to press to hard.

All my numbers look good - AHI right around 1.0 on average. Leak rate is usually less than 8L/min at 95% and max less than 16L/min.

My problem is once I fall asleep I just can't stay asleep.
(Every toss and turn, the slightest leakage, etc)

I never really had this issue before CPAP. I think that's why the dr gave me the drugs. I told him I wasn't a fan to take drugs long term. That if I take something I only want it for a short time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 06:46 PM)theroefam Wrote: My problem is once I fall asleep I just can't stay asleep.
(Every toss and turn, the slightest leakage, etc)

Yes, I did that as well in the beginning. What's happening is you are finally getting good, restorative sleep. And your body's not used to that. So every once in awhile, it has to wake up and make sure everything in it's cave is ok.

As you proceed, this will smooth out and you won't wake up as much.

In the meantime, when you do wake up, rather than tell yourself "oh drat, I'm not getting sleep," stretch out really good and tell yourself "Self, great job getting that nice hour or so of quality, restful sleep."

Post Reply Post Reply
Drat?

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 05:21 PM)theroefam Wrote: Made it to the Dr. He was pretty resistant to the suggestion of going to the Autoset. He said it wasn't needed. He wants to increase the pressure to 7, I mentioned I did for the last four nights and it was better but was still waking up a lot. He also gave me a prescription of Trazodone.

The Trazodone will help you sleep. I have a prescription for it but use only when I really need it.

With a tolerated pressure as low as 7 there really is no advantage to having an auto-adjusting machine. It certainly won't help you sleep any better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 09:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote: With a tolerated pressure as low as 7 there really is no advantage to having an auto-adjusting machine. It certainly won't help you sleep any better.

Hi theroefam - Like retired_guy, I think it is likely you are still experiencing the discomfort which can occur when our pressure is set too low.

I suggest raising the pressure to 8 to see if it will be more comfortable for you.

Hi Sleepster - a higher pressure really does make it easier for some of us to inhale with less effort. I think it depends on the speed at which we start our inhalation. I think it is not merely psychological.

If we start our inhalations slowly and evenly I think we could learn to sleep with a low pressure setting. But, if our long-accustomed habit is to start our inhalation a little more forcefully/sharply, a higher pressure setting would help alleviate the transitory drop in pressure which occurs when we breathe in sharply.

Also, although it is true that one of the recognized benefits of having an APAP machine is that the average pressure will tend to be lower (because typically the machine in Auto mode will raise the pressure only when needed), in my view a lower average pressure is not the main benefit of having an APAP machine.

In my view the main benefit of having an APAP machine is that we can change to auto-titration mode for a few days and view the results, to see what pressures the machine sets itself to. Armed with the knowledge provided by the recent auto-titration, we can then set our machine to our 90 percentile pressure or whatever pressure would likely best optimize the comfort and efficacy of our therapy.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. Vsheline- I think your spot on. I've read some breathing books (buteyko method) and it talks a lot about shallow even breathes are best (no mouth beathing)

I think I've learned I was a big mouth breather before CPAP.

- I think I could keep trying to adjust(i.e. Using medicne in the mean time) or
- Slowly increase the pressure as you mention.

I assume if I do the later, after I stabilize - then I can slowly bring the pressure back down as adjust to the breathing.

Hopefully my next couple nights, with a little higher pressure, will go smoothly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Finally, my last three nights have been good.

I decided to try a Full Face Mask. Once I put it on in the store, I knew that was going to fix my problem.
My last three nights I can definitely say I've sleep better that any day since getting the CPAP.

So why I decided to go Full Face -
Last week I increased the pressure again to 8. This time I didn't feel any better during my sleep. So I went ahead and reduced it back down.
When I tried to look at everything. I realized I was having bad nights and really bad nights. On my really bad nights - I just couldn't stop mouth breathing (chin straps - I tried tightening, then went to tape. That seemed to help at first, but on the really bad nights, I breathed hard enough to open the tape). My really bad nights seemed to be linked to being over tired (getting to bed a little late, or have a couple beers that evening). Since I have been unable to teach myself to stop mouth breathing, I decided to try to the Full Mask.

So now I have the pressure set to 7, and I'm trying out the Resmed F10. My AHI has gone up some - but it is probably giving me a more realistic number now that I'm actually sleeping instead of just lying there. Hopefully it will stabilize and start to go down. But I'm not to worried about that right now.

Thanks for everyone's help. This forum has provided a great asset for me to help me get through this. There were a couple times I almost called it quits, but the words here helped out a lot.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 293 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR? theredheadsaid 65 7,083 09-09-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Adjust time on Airsense 11 Liveoak86 2 603 08-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Liveoak86
Sad Please review my data and help me adjust my settings DC2Shogun 61 4,383 08-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help me understand / adjust Aircurve10 ASV vs S9VPAP settings patrickbrem 2 373 08-08-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: patrickbrem
  Is it time to adjust up or down? SleeplessNSeattle 1 454 07-16-2023, 02:36 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can’t adjust to nasal mask HRU1923 6 918 06-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: HRU1923

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.