Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't fall asleep- at all with CPAP
Can't fall asleep- at all with CPAP
Reading through these forums, I am astounded by how many people are actually able to fall asleep using a CPAP machine. I started a couple of months ago and thus far I have managed to fall asleep exactly once for a few hours before the machine woke me. I had to take benadryl to do it, but usually even that doesn't work. I am seeing the doctor again in a few weeks to work on desensitization techniques. I am hoping he will prescribe me some powerful sedatives, but if that doesn't get me to be able start using it, I will probably throw in the towel on this experiment. How many other people find that they just can't sleep at all with something stuck to their face and difficulty exhaling? What did you do to actually relax enough to fall asleep? (When I do start to relax a bit, my jaw starts to droop and then the mask leaks.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't fall asleep- at all with CPAP
Are you using EPR setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe so. It doesn't seem to matter though. Initially I got a nose mask and found exhaling to be too difficult so I switched to a full face mask, but found that the leaks helping keep me awake, so I switched to another full face mask that has fewer leaks but it less comfortable so now I mostly just notice the mask.

I am extremely finicky sleeper. I can't fall asleep wearing my wedding ring or a watch or if it is too hot or if I am upset about something, etc. Once I fall asleep I am usually ok, but falling asleep has always been a challenge for me. I fear that a CPAP (or dental implant) may be way too much stimulus for my body to adequately relax enough to sleep, at least without a sedative.
Post Reply Post Reply
There may be some things we can suggest to help, but continue down the "desensitization path.

Do post your OSCAR daily charts so we can see what we can see.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the correct settings I can NOT tell I have on a mask on exhale. I totally agree you need to post an OSCAR nights charts.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2022, 12:10 PM)joepublic23 Wrote: How many other people find that they just can't sleep at all with something stuck to their face and difficulty exhaling? What did you do to actually relax enough to fall asleep? (When I do start to relax a bit, my jaw starts to droop and then the mask leaks.)

I agree with Stacey, with the correct settings I don't even notice the mask at all. The only time I have "difficulty exhaling" is occasionally right when I start before the machine has time to get up to pressure. (Yes I know I should turn the ramp time off but meh I haven't bothered after the first month I switched it from auto to 5 minutes so it is much shorter but it has just been not wanting to make too many changes at once so that I can isolate what works better and what works worse)

If you get the right mask and right size for your face it really should not leak just from having your jaw relax, maybe you have a mask that is either too large or too small for your face. The only two times I get any leaking at all is when the drool from my mouth breaches the seal allowing a tiny leak, wipe off the drool and the leak seals itself, and when I yawn which is something I try to avoid doing ever because my jaw tends to lock open when I yawn to wide and if you have ever had that issue you would know that getting the jaw to relocate when it is locked open is... ummm... to avoid using any expletives very not comfortable, like uncomfortable to the point where if I relocate it and then yawn and get it locked open again I would need to go to the hospital because it would be in way to much pain to do it myself a second time within a reasonable time. Other then those two situations the only other leaks I have are simply me scratching my nose under the mask.

But yeah as far as the leaks go it just sounds like you have the wrong sized mask, maybe if you get the right sized mask that would alleviate some of your issues with being able to fall asleep with it on, as for the exhale issue, like Stacey said that just sounds like adjusting some settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
My oscar reports really don't show any nighttime data since I am awake when I am using the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
But we can tell the settings in the left column which could tell us something
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
to HH9797:  if you need to relocate your jaw (mine dislocates too) push firmly down (and a bit back) with your thumb on the back lower molars on the stuck side(s) ASAP.  The articular disc should pop back in place.  

I agree with Stacy too, if the pressure is set correctly, you should not feel any drag on the inhale or pressure on the exhale.  If my pressure is too low the mask feels like it is constricting the inhale to me (I'm not sure if it really is, but that's the sensation).  Conversely, when they titrated me up there is a maximum pressure where the exhale pressure is just too high.  So, I turned off the ramp and have the EPR maxed out for good measure.  For me, that means I feel better airflow with the mask on than off almost immediately.  

Your set pressures are pretty low, so I doubt the exhale is the issue.  See what your doc says, but I would suggest making sure the EPR is on, getting rid of/shortening the ramp, and increase the minimum to 8-10ish.
Post Reply Post Reply
*** Moderator Note: Corrupted image removed. ***

Images cannot be hosted from a personal computer.  Please either attach them to your post (for CPAP related images only) or use an image hosting service.  For help in attaching images, please review Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 158 8 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 271 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,871 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.