Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't find a good ffm fit
Can't find a good ffm fit
I have been using a cpap machine for over five years. I recently changed to the Resmed as10 with a higher pressure. As a result the nasal pillows that I had been using do not work well with the higher pressure. Air blows out thru my mouth. I have tried most of the ffm, but I have to get it so tight that it hurts my nose. I am now trying the Quattro fx. Any suggestions? I have just about decided to go back to the nasa pillows and tape my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't find a good ffm fit
Welcome

If you'd like to stick with the pillows, try adding a chin strap to your headgear. It's intended to gently remind the jaw to stay closed.
If you wish to go to another type of mask, such as a FFM, what works for one person may not work for another.

Finding the "best" mask is a very personal process.

As you can see by my profile, I prefer the Mirage Quattro which has an adjustable forehead brace. Works for me.

Members have written reviews of various masks at:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-C...sk-Reviews

Kindest Regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deweym,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There are so many masks out there, you might have to try quite a few before you find one that works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I was using a chin strap but air was still coming out of my mouth. I just tried the mirage Quattro and it messed up the bridge on my nose. It's now very sore. How were you able to make it work for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2015, 09:52 PM)Deweym Wrote: Thanks. I was using a chin strap but air was still coming out of my mouth. I just tried the mirage Quattro and it messed up the bridge on my nose. It's now very sore. How were you able to make it work for you?

Everyone's face is different. So, the fact that the MQ works for me and not you is no surprise.

I like that the contact of the top of the mask cushion is adjustable.

There are variants of all the major categories of masks. Finding what works for you may mean trying several masks.
Sleep-well
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You might need to download SleepyHead http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/ to see what is going on, your pressure is not on the high side

Do you check the sleep report data, AHI, pressure, leak, etc ...

Post Reply Post Reply
F&P Simplus. Handles high pressures, comfortable and wont destroy the bridge of your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had problems from the get-go with air rushing out of my mouth, despite several swaps of face mask. The answer (as posted by others) is really simple - a chin strap.
The muscles holding the jaw closed relax when in deep sleep, and if your jaw drops open a touch, the pressured air will go where the pressure is weakest - straight out your mouth.
Find a comfy chin strap - they are inexpensive - and you will stop the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2015, 07:09 PM)Deweym Wrote: I have been using a cpap machine for over five years. I recently changed to the Resmed as10 with a higher pressure. As a result the nasal pillows that I had been using do not work well with the higher pressure. Air blows out thru my mouth. I have tried most of the ffm, but I have to get it so tight that it hurts my nose. I am now trying the Quattro fx. Any suggestions? I have just about decided to go back to the nasa pillows and tape my mouth.

Hi Deweym,

What led you to decide to use a higher pressure with AS10? I agree with Zonk about downloading sleepyhead to analyze the sleep report data that he mentioned. Obviously I can't guarantee anything but you might be surprised and find out you don't need as high a pressure as you thought you did.

If you find you still need the higher pressure and wanted to stick with nasal pillows, you might google the aloha nasal pillow mask which has bigger holes and might provide the necessary airflow at the higher pressure without feeling the need to breath through your mouth.

Finally, with your current nasal pillow mask, have you tried going to the largest size possible to see if airflow improved without leaking through your mouth? If you haven't, that is another step you could take before making the other discussed changes.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I used a gecko and it was better. The problem I' m also having is that with high pressure the mask covers the sides of my mouth. A check on my pressure shows that 95% of the time l'm at 11.5. We're checking with my doctor about raising the top limit. I had been using the opus medium pillows before.

Deweym
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 5 78 Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 199 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 141 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 786 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 379 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 134 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 210 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.