Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't find a mask. Totally frustrated!
RE: Can't find a mask. Totally frustrated!
Apnea Infant,

Thank you for your compassion. You are very kind. I truly believe I can adjust with any mask if necessary. My main problem is returning from the washroom and trying to go back to sleep. I think the humidification brings the oils out on my skin during the first part of my sleep and then when I try to go back to sleep the leaks start. I try to use the face mask for 2 nights and it is always the 2nd night I have the major leakage. If I turn off the humidifier then I end up sleeping with my mouth open. I am trying to train myself to sleep with it closed, and I am making some progress. Again thank you.....Michael
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing with with air touch 20 is that it needs to be tighter than the silicone ones, at least that is what I found. When I tightened the silicone masks too tight, the bridge of my nose would turn into hamburger, and I’d have to put a band aid on it (once had to pull over because I scratched it w/o bad aid and blood start running down my face. Luckily I had something in the trunk to sop up the blood.). Also, I find that when I sleep on my back, I get more leaks and events. I’m debating either the soft neck brace or tennis ball in my back, both may cause issues with my many bathroom breaks while sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2018, 06:20 AM)michael9346 Wrote: Apnea Infant,

Thank you for your compassion. You are very kind. I truly believe I can adjust with any mask if necessary. My main problem is returning from the washroom and trying to go back to sleep. I think the humidification brings the oils out on my skin during the first part of my sleep and then when I try to go back to sleep the leaks start. I try to use the face mask for 2 nights and it is always the 2nd night I have the major leakage. If I turn off the humidifier then I end up sleeping with my mouth open. I am trying to train myself to sleep with it closed, and I am making some progress. Again thank you.....Michael

If you feel that the humidification brings out the oils on your skin - would it help if you used a 'baby-wipe' to give your face a quick cleanse?  I sometimes use one of these 'baby-wipe' thingies when my face feels oily.  I start out the night with a clean, dry face and by the middle of the night when I have my bathroom break, it seems like I've been working hard and the oil on my face is annoying.  Just thought I would offer a tip that works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in a clinical trial for rosacea and the vehicle for the product is very greasy. I find I need to wash my headgear weekly and change or wash the pillows every other day. In spite of the oily substance (foam that feels like mineral oil) I'm not having problems, and I'm a lot less red these days.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I had a similar problem with the F20 silicone - leaking everywhere and the silicone not sitting properly on my face. I cycled through a few masks with Supplier #1 and their return insurance. I probably spent about $80 for that to try out five different masks. It was totally worth it for me, but I realize that may not be within your budget...

I finally settled on a Brevida nasal mask and am very happy with it. It also has a silicone seal, but fits very comfortably against my nose. The things that go up the nose a bit are comfy, create a good seal and don't push against my nose too much, the way I experienced with a few other nasal mask.

I'm also a mouth breather and was very surprised to find that the nasal mask works for me. I do use the halo chin strap, though I've found I can also sleep without it - something about the nasal mask suddenly makes me keep my mouth closed, now that I'm used to it. Anyways - you could fashion a chin strap out of some scrap fabric and a bit of elastic you may have around the house? It's a very simple concept and not much to it, really...

Lastly, with the F20, the hose disconnects from the mask very easily. Have you tried just leaving the mask on when you go to the bathroom? That might help your overall comfort.

Good luck! It's super frustrating to have all these problems with the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response. I appreciate your input. I do disconnect from the mask elbow on the F20 when I need to use the bathroom. To this point I have used 9 different masks including nasal and nasal pillows. I could not even get to sleep with the buds of a pillow up my nose. I also have chin straps and even made one with some elastic and Velcro. They did not work. I swear I have jaws of steel and if they want to open, they open! Last night I tried my cervical pillow for the first time and my AHI went up. I still recorded snoring events.

It seems the entire population of Arkansas is on Cpap therapy as the 3 DME's I tried to use are too busy to take the time to hear my pleas. I have taken to ordering a new mask when I have a few dollars left over and buy one from Supplier #1. I really have come to the conclusion that Cpap therapy may just not work for everybody. Again thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2018, 07:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I am in a clinical trial for rosacea and the vehicle for the product is very greasy.  I find I need to wash my headgear weekly and change or wash the pillows every other day.  In spite of the oily substance (foam that feels like mineral oil) I'm not having problems, and I'm a lot less red these days.

If you find time could expand on the rosacea trial in the off-topic forum? I'd really like to hear about it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, I'm new to this forum as well. I have been using the P10 for her for a while now...but I use a chin strap to keep my mouth shut. I find full face mask harder for me to sleep since it is bigger. I guess you could try that! It works like magic in my case.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your input. My biggest problem has been getting a new mask and all is well the first few days (except for a few that weren't good from day one) and after a few days just leaked like sieve. I have used 9 masks but I am sure there are still a few hundred more to try. The problem in my part of the country is after 3 tries of a new mask, the DME's think the problem is me.....Kindest regards.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2018, 02:48 PM)Apnea Infant Wrote: ... wonder if you would like to try using a soft neck collar to help keep your mouth shut and help with leaks. I have found this works for me far better than a chin strap and certainly have not wanted to tape my mouth ...

I would like to second this great point. As others on the Board have pointed out recently, getting a simple collar that fits nicely under the chin maybe the simplest and quickest way to turn the corner in one's therapy, given correct pressure settings ... and a mask that doesn't leak constantly (I feel your pain!). I swapped my chin strap for one and haven't looked back.
There are some helpful "soft collar" discussions here on the Board. Just search that term. Here's one...
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...oft-collar
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,216 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,085 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 330 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.