Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Can't get results from sleep study
(10-31-2013 05:57 PM)justMongo Wrote:  If the sleep lab has a website -- find the name of the Chief Privacy Officer. Or, ask for contact info for the Chief Privacy Officer by phone.
Then call, fax, write, or email the Chief Privacy Officer requesting your records under threat of legal consequences.
HIPPA = Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act. Portability means you get your records in a timely fashion.

And Fire your doctor. He/she is useless.

Get it right. It's HIPAA

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-07-2013 12:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Thumbsdown RE: Can't get results from sleep study
(11-06-2013 11:17 PM)GrandpaLarry Wrote:  This may sound simplistic but I know that most health care facilities will NOT release your records if you request them by phone, email, or even fax. As part of HIPPA you must provide positive identification in person to receive the documents.

I have always faxed or emailed my records request and shown my identification when I picked the records up.

As to why your doctor will not request the records it is hard to tell. Did your husband take it upon himself to arrange the sleep study? Had his doctor stated that no sleep study was necessary? Was the idea of a sleep study even discussed with his doctor? If your doctor didn't order the sleep study, he or she may feel that your husband went over their head in having the study done.

At least where I live, you cannot get a sleep study without a physician ordering it and telling the sleep lab what kind of sleep study to do and specific instructions
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 02:13 AM by me50.)
11-07-2013 02:09 AM
Lukie Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Airfit F 10
Humidifier: H I heated tubing resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Masks: Simplus, Air, Quattro fx, Nano, Eson, Swift fx and Activ

Sex: Female

[quote='laurileet' pid='48306' dateline='1383245169']

So.. we just spent a lot of money out of pocket and can't get the results. Does anyone know what the rules are on getting your own test results from a sleep study test?

I had my sleep test on 10/24. Two weeks later I got a letter with appt for 11/19. I called for the results but they would not tell me anything. I then went to the medical records department and requested a copy of the past three months of tests for my own personal record. In Vermont the law requires them to give you this if you sign the release form for the year. The report was there. So now I don't need to be so anxious waiting not knowing anything. So just go to medical records and say you want a copy of your record and sign the paper. It is your legal right in most states.
11-09-2013 01:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Lukie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

trish6hundred
11-10-2013 10:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 254 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 213 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 424 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 288 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  When is it time to get another sleep study done. duece12345 7 337 11-19-2016 11:51 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question First Machine, First Night, First results..Help please? SJGino 9 380 11-18-2016 11:55 PM
Last Post: SJGino
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep Study Report: Lowest Desaturation vs Lowest Saturation blueelement2016 4 249 11-09-2016 02:37 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016