Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't get results from sleep study
Can't get results from sleep study
My husband took a sleep apnea test and now cant get the results with out taking even more time from work, paying more money for a consult etc. They wont send the results to his doctor or to us, and his doctor wont make the request.

So.. we just spent a lot of money out of pocket and can't get the results. Does anyone know what the rules are on getting your own test results from a sleep study test?

From this experience, I'd say to anyone who's going to do this, FIND OUT EVERYTHING UP FRONT. had we known how much work it would be just to get the results, we wouldnt have done it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't get results from sleep study
Where are you located.
In the US they are required to provide you with a copy of your complete sleep study results.
If your doctor won't back you up consider finding a new doctor.
My technique is simple, call early and call often. I called at least once or twice a day to anyone I could identify as causing a roadblock to getting what I wanted. I completed my sleep study on a Wednesday morning and the results in my hand Friday afternoon . Ask nice then become a pest and not just to the resptionist. Talk to the person in charge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi laurileet,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What bwexler said.
You need to persist in getting his sleep study information, just keep calling them.
Good luck to you and keep us posted on how things go.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd call and ask to speak to the office manager there because that sounds ridiculous. I asked my doctor for mine and she emailed it to me in less than two hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi laurileet, welocme to the forum
Also ask the doctor for a copy of the prescription for you to keep

Please read here so you get an idea about machines choices and which machines to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Ask the doctor to specify the machine of your choice on the prescription and write "dispense as written" to avoid any confusion and giving you the wrong machine. If you don,t have insurance, Supplier #2 have the lowest prices for used and new machines and if happen to be in Australia, both suppliers #2 & #10 ship overseas and not bound by manufactures rules
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply
Why won't your husband's doctor make the request? I think that's the biggest question.

Who ordered/prescribed the sleep study in the first place?

In the US, you do have a right to a copy of your medical records, but you may have to pay a nominal fee to have copies made. If you can't get anywhere with the doctor, ask to speak to the HIPPA privacy officer.

If you want more info on your legal rights, try googling "legal right to medical reocrds." There's a nice page by the US Dept of Health and Human Services titled "Your Medical Records."

Good luck.

(10-31-2013, 01:46 PM)laurileet Wrote: My husband took a sleep apnea test and now cant get the results with out taking even more time from work, paying more money for a consult etc. They wont send the results to his doctor or to us, and his doctor wont make the request.

So.. we just spent a lot of money out of pocket and can't get the results. Does anyone know what the rules are on getting your own test results from a sleep study test?

From this experience, I'd say to anyone who's going to do this, FIND OUT EVERYTHING UP FRONT. had we known how much work it would be just to get the results, we wouldnt have done it.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are in the US, call and speak to the office manager. Mention HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)*. Mention that you know that your health records belong to you and you want a copy of them. That you will NOT take another day off to come get them. That you expect them to either be emailed, faxed, or mailed to you immediately.

Then get another doctor. If he/she or their office will not stand up for you now, then they aren't going to later when you need them to later.

__
*HIPPA is designed more to help keep medical records private but it also made it so you can have access to your own records. However, finding information about it and how to use it is difficult but for most medical practices, just having a patient say that they understand what HIPPA is? It's enough to make them jump and do what the patient wants. Having a HIPPA complaint filed is a VERY big deal.
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/index.html
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another thought:

You are going to need to see someone to prescribe appropriate equipment. This doctor has to give you your records but he does not have to provide treatment advice or prescriptions for medical equipment.

If your primary doctor is not willing to even request the records, is he willing to provide treatment for sleep apnea? If your husband does have it, he NEEDS to get treated. If your option is choosing between spending time and money on the primary doc vs. the sleep doc, the better option is to see the sleep doc.

I know it's horrible that he's not giving you medical records, but to be quite honest, your primary doctor doesn't sound much better. He won't request your medical records??? He clearly doesn't have your best interests at heart.

(10-31-2013, 01:46 PM)laurileet Wrote: My husband took a sleep apnea test and now cant get the results with out taking even more time from work, paying more money for a consult etc. They wont send the results to his doctor or to us, and his doctor wont make the request.

Post Reply Post Reply
If the sleep lab has a website -- find the name of the Chief Privacy Officer. Or, ask for contact info for the Chief Privacy Officer by phone.
Then call, fax, write, or email the Chief Privacy Officer requesting your records under threat of legal consequences.
HIPPA = Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act. Portability means you get your records in a timely fashion.

And Fire your doctor. He/she is useless.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
This may sound simplistic but I know that most health care facilities will NOT release your records if you request them by phone, email, or even fax. As part of HIPPA you must provide positive identification in person to receive the documents. As has been stated by others, they may charge you a copy fee.

Sometimes you can have your documents sent to you by your personal physician without the need for identification as you already have an established relationship with them but not all physicians will do this.

As to why your doctor will not request the records it is hard to tell. Did your husband take it upon himself to arrange the sleep study? Had his doctor stated that no sleep study was necessary? Was the idea of a sleep study even discussed with his doctor? If your doctor didn't order the sleep study, he or she may feel that your husband went over their head in having the study done.

If you are wondering why I ask all the questions, it's because I am an RN and have learned to investigate all aspects of disputes between patients and physicians. I'm not saying your husband did anything wrong, but the events as stated are very strange.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.