Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't get results from sleep study
RE: Can't get results from sleep study
(10-31-2013, 05:57 PM)justMongo Wrote: If the sleep lab has a website -- find the name of the Chief Privacy Officer. Or, ask for contact info for the Chief Privacy Officer by phone.
Then call, fax, write, or email the Chief Privacy Officer requesting your records under threat of legal consequences.
HIPPA = Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act. Portability means you get your records in a timely fashion.

And Fire your doctor. He/she is useless.

Get it right. It's HIPAA

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsdown 
(11-06-2013, 11:17 PM)GrandpaLarry Wrote: This may sound simplistic but I know that most health care facilities will NOT release your records if you request them by phone, email, or even fax. As part of HIPPA you must provide positive identification in person to receive the documents.

I have always faxed or emailed my records request and shown my identification when I picked the records up.

As to why your doctor will not request the records it is hard to tell. Did your husband take it upon himself to arrange the sleep study? Had his doctor stated that no sleep study was necessary? Was the idea of a sleep study even discussed with his doctor? If your doctor didn't order the sleep study, he or she may feel that your husband went over their head in having the study done.

At least where I live, you cannot get a sleep study without a physician ordering it and telling the sleep lab what kind of sleep study to do and specific instructions

Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='laurileet' pid='48306' dateline='1383245169']

So.. we just spent a lot of money out of pocket and can't get the results. Does anyone know what the rules are on getting your own test results from a sleep study test?

I had my sleep test on 10/24. Two weeks later I got a letter with appt for 11/19. I called for the results but they would not tell me anything. I then went to the medical records department and requested a copy of the past three months of tests for my own personal record. In Vermont the law requires them to give you this if you sign the release form for the year. The report was there. So now I don't need to be so anxious waiting not knowing anything. So just go to medical records and say you want a copy of your record and sign the paper. It is your legal right in most states.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lukie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.