Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't get used to cpap; need some advice.
Can't get used to cpap; need some advice.
[some parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]

Quote:Annie wrote: Dec 28 2005, 10:33 AM Post #1

Looking for some advice on how to use/get used to cpap. I have known for some time i likely have apnea though just had it confirmed about a month ago i have fairly severe apnea. I didn't realise the implications of apnea & am still a little bewildered by it all. I just can't seem to get used to the mask, find it very uncomfortable & wake up often. It moves in the night & loses its suction, it also leaves my skin red & sore. I realise i'm still very new to this.Any advice would be apreciated as i now dread going to bed.

Quote:Guest wrote: Dec 29 2005, 06:15 AM Post #2

what type of mask do you have? that could be a problem.

Quote:Annie wrote: Dec 29 2005, 07:09 AM

The type of mask i have is a Aclaim2 nasal mask.

[quote][b]Annie wrote: Dec 29 2005, 07:30 AM Post #4

Sorry i'm always in such a rush. What i meant to say was thank you for taking time to read my email and respond. Being so new to this i don't know much about pretty much anything related to sleep apnea, though finding this site is starting to help. Thanks

Quote:nosbig17 wrote: Dec 29 2005, 11:23 AM Post #5

I am not familiar with the Aclaim2. However, a comfortable interface (mask) is felt, by many to be the single most important item for successful treatment. I have found that getting the mask adjusted just right is very important. An adjustment that feels comfortable now may not feel that way a few minutes from now, so you'll have to try to figure out which adjustment or combination of adjustments might be required to work best for you. If the mask too tight it will be unconfortable but on the otherhand if it is too loose it will leak. Finding that just right set of adjustments can take a long time with some masks. Early on I started using a differant mask every night to get away from having the some spots of my face tortured night after night.

I sleep mostly on my back with no pillow, and some on my side with a small buckwheat husk pillow. I tryed several differant pillows before settling on this noisy little pillow, but it works for me.

Welcome to the ranks of the hoseheads, Hope that you will soon be getting the rest that yoiu need!

Quote:ConnCarl wrote Dec 31 2005, 06:27 PM Post #6

Annie, as Nosbig17 said, mask selection and fitment are absolutely critical to successful CPAP therapy.

Oils from your skin can prevent your mask from getting a good seal. If you don't clean your mask every day, you might try cleaing the silicone seal with a baby wipe or something similar that could be kept close to the machine.

If you have insurance, you may be interested to learn that most insurance companies provide for replacement CPAP masks or interfaces every 90 days or so. Many OSA sufferers choose to sample different masks until they find their "sweet spot", which would be very costly otherwise.

Your home healthcare (or DME) provider may also be willing to work with you in order to find a mask that works well for you. If not, perhaps your sleep lab will allow you to visit to try out different masks.

For redness and skin irritation, try a petrolatum product like Vaseline or Aquaphor. You can rub it in once a day, but I wouldn't suggest using it before bed, when it might contaminate your mask seal.

The bottom line is that it is up to you to do everything you can to optimize your therapy. No one is going to ring your doorbell and ask if there is anything that they can do to make your CPAP therapy more comfortable.

Good luck! Carl
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred." - Superchicken

Quote:minerva334 wrote: Jan 1 2006, 08:45 PM Post #7

Hi, Annie,
I had a similar problem. I discovered that the bridge of my nose is far too high for many types of masks, so I switched to one with an adjustable bridge:

Resmed Ultra Mirage Mask

Once I switched, it only took me a week to get used to using a CPAP unit. I hope this helps.
-Amanda

Quote:nosbig17 wrote: Jan 2 2006, 02:25 PM Post #8

Amanda:

Have you ever used the ResMed Mirage Activa mask, or the Ultra Mirage II?

If you like the adjustable forehead supporet on the Ultra Mirage, I think you"ll like the Ultra Mirage II better, its' forehead support is the same as the Activas'. The forehead pad has a much larger footprint and is more comfortable. I've never used the II but I use two Ultra Mirage masks fitted with Activa forehead supports which makes them II's as far as I can tell.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't get used to cpap; need some advice.
I have had problems until I tried the Respironics EasyLife Nasal Mask, I am on the 4th day of a trial but so far it has worked the best. I was going to try a resmed and use a heat gun to adjust the forhead support to fit my head better but this seems a much better way.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 169 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,449 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 325 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 456 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 278 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,014 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 181 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.