Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't get used to using CPAP
RE: Can't get used to using CPAP
Nolanosleep I hope you do not give up on us here at ApneaBoard. There are many on here that will be able to help you if you will persevere! It would have been better in my opinion if you had started a new thread perhaps titled something like, 'Bipap long time user still unable to adapt' or something similar. As others have suggested, it's important to fill out your profile with exact model spec's, pressure settings, and exact mask model etc.

Hope we see you back online here so we can help!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Apnea Community!  You can't get rid of me that easily!!  I wanted to give an update on my 10+ year struggle with getting use to bipap.  I know this information will help someone else in some way.  

I was diagnosed back in 2009 with RDI of 13.2, but a REM RDI of 42.2!!  Sleep study did not report an AHI.  I was given a ResMed VPap S with a setting of 16/10 and a Swift nasal prong mask.  Despite my best efforts, I just could not use my Resmed VPAP S.  I experienced almost every problem you could have with using my bipap. You name the problem; I had it.  Mask does not fit; mask irritation/leaking/leaving marks/nose irritated/drying out your eyes from blowing in them; mask pulling out my hair; humidifier spitting water in my mask and up my nose; air swallowing; ear pain; sinus pain; tube in the way; pressure is just too high; machine is forcing me to breathe at wrong times; headaches; can't breathe through my nose; can't breathe out against the pressure; feel as if I am suffocating...this machine is stealing my air; and I just can't sleep with this thing on! I tried to use the machine on and off through the years with little success.  After 3 sinus surgeries, the last one about a year ago to unblock my nose - again-, I began to try to use my old cinder block of a bipap.  I was actually partially successful!  I learned I NEED humidification or my sinuses scream bloody murder, and I need a heated hose to stop water from being spit into my mask and up my nose waking me several times a night.  The problem was there was no heated hose for my old machine.  I figured after 10+ years, I would be able to get a new one.  

After lots of digging on this site and others and some great advice, I got (with struggles) an ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto with humidification and a heated hose.  I chose a Respironics Dreamwear nasal pillow.  OMG!!  It is like night and day the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The breathing/air flow is soooooo smooth!  I have to pull the mask away to see if the machine is on!!!!!  Gone is the abrupt starting of jet engines blowing air up your nose only to be cut off abruptly with no air!  No more water up my nose!!  No more bloody, screaming sinuses!!  DO NOT forget the distilled water or you will be sorry!  My ENT also changed my pressure to 10/4.  While I am only on night 6 of using my new machine, I know I will be successful!!!  After a few nights of use, at 100% compliance, I downloaded my sleep stats to Oscar.  My AHI at its highest is a 7.6, and I will now be moving over to the "help interpreting my Oscar data/improve my AHI" board to further tweak my AHI and get it under 5 or lower.

If you are wandering in the land of feeling crappy, crappy sleep, I just can't function, just so tired, I hate CPAP, this is torcher, I hate this or even why me...I feel your pain.  KEEP AT IT!!  Research, read, consult another doctor, talk to folks on this board, cry, scream, talk to family and friends, BUT KEEP AT IT.  You CAN do it!  You are worth it!  Your loved ones want you to be around and healthy.  Do it!

Now, I need to go cheer on my three friends who also have sleep apnea and are struggling... Banana
Post Reply Post Reply
The will to survive is strong, Grasshopper.  Big Grin  Congratulations for your perseverance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!!  I needed that!!! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2016, 12:19 PM)nubbin00 Wrote: Last night was my 3rd night using a CPAP machine and it's just been miserable.  I might be able to get used to wearing the mask but it always feels like I'm fighting to exhale.  I wake up during the night feeling like I'm drowning so I start to panic until I take off the mask.  If I'm still waking up several times a night, what's the point of wearing this thing?

I felt the same way when I started. I was initially given a nasal mask, which I found tough, because the pressure felt so "immediate". It was like there was a jet of air blasting in when I inhaled, and then during exhale, it felt like my nostrils had been taped up. It was like breathing out thru a straw. I eventually switched to a full face mask, because I couldn't stop myself from letting my mouth open, and have all the air being pumped into my nose come directly out my mouth. I went to the F20, and the difference was night and day. The feeling of pressure was much more gentle, and indirect. Exhaling seemed easy. Maybe it was because I'd gradually become accustomed to CPAP, but as someone has said on this thread, it really got to the point where I couldn't feel pressure at all. I'm not sure how the F10 compares to the F20, or whether it would make any difference for the expiration part of the breathing cycle. But I can say that getting used to the mask REALLY does happen.

I will leave the recommendations on pressure, EPR, etc. to others ... only to echo that you'll get better results without EPR, and if the pressure is too low (e.g. <5), you will likely feel starved for air. I found ramp useful at the beginning; I think if you can get to sleep without feeling uncomfortable, your body learns to adjust to the higher pressure while you are asleep, and each night seems to get a little easier.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.