Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't keep my mask on!
Can't keep my mask on!
I am a new sleep patient and CPAP user. I use the Fisher & Paykel ICON with a ResMed FX mask. I was prescribed a pressure of 9-15 originally but I lowred it to 12 max because 15 just kills my nose. humidity is at 5 only because I dont know whats good and thats what the tech set it at. The main issue is I cant keep my mask on!

I fall asleep on my back with the mask on tight and then I wake up a few hours later with the mask in my hand, I am obviously taking the mask off in the middle of the night but cant remember why. Im thinking I try to go to my side (I am by nature a side sleeper) and the mask gets jarred looose and the air flow bugs me till I pull it off but I am so tired I just end up falling asleep again before I can figure out what just happened. Anyway that is what I think is happening! And I am really bummed because I am just not getting better rest. Any ideas? Thinking-about

westofhwy5
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't keep my mask on!
I think it would help to set the machine as in your profile CPAP pressure 9, so you would fit the mask at the start of the therapy and the pressure stay the same throughout the night till you get used to keep the mask on all night. It's normal to wake up to find you've removed the mask in your sleep sometimes it require some time adjusting as it can be overwhelming at first but should improve with time. It may help to practice wearing the mask with the machine on for short periods of time during the day while you,re awake watching tv so you get accustomed and acclimatize wearing the mask with the pressure on. Its normal to try several masks to find the right one that leak the least so if one mask didn't work for you try another till you find the right mask to keep all night every night.
Humidity is a personal preference some like more than others and some they don,t need it. Too much humidity can cause me congestion but everyone is different don,t be afraid to experiment as no one setting suits all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't keep my mask on!
It can take some time to get used to it all. Try what Zonk suggested. Wear the mask with the machine on during the day. The fit will be different if you are sitting up but it will still get you acclimatized. Lots of people take off the mask during the night. CPAP version of sleep walking.

When you say 15 killed your nose, what happened? When you get used to it all, you should slowly increase the pressure back up to 15. Especially if the data is telling you it maxes out at 12 every night.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,523 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,204 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,093 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,830 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.