Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can't reliably get below ~3 AHI
Can't reliably get below ~3 AHI
Hello all. 

I posted a thread a while back about getting the right pressure. I started out with a big range of 5-12cm. I was getting up to 17 AHI (my diagnosis was 5.9 AHI). 

I followed advice - started wearing a partial cervical collar, turned flex completely off, and steadily bumped up my pressure. I saw noticeable returns until I got to around 15cm. I've spent the last month or so waffling around 15-17cm (fixed pressure). Occasionally, I'll get a fluke night with an AHI under 2. For the most part, I hover around 2.5-3.5. 

I see people on here with consisted sub-1 AHIs. When I look at my data and consider how I typically feel in the  morning and throughout the day, I wonder if my apnea is REM induced (or something), and that despite the improvement, I'm still missing out on restful sleep. 

The last two nights (attached) are pretty typical. Generally low AHI, but with events consistently spaced all throughout the night. 

Any suggestions? I think the highest I've gone is 17 - I got pretty bad aerophagia a couple of nights and wasn't seeing reliable improvement, so I haven't tried any higher.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't reliably get below ~3 AHI
One, make sure the changes you are making are not too close together. Let each change "settle" for at least a week before making another. Many keep a sleep journal where they mark down the change made (humidifier, pressure, etc) so they can refer to it later and/or input it into SH.

Two, as long as the AHI is below 5 AND you are feeling rested, all is well. You cannot compare your AHI to someone else because no two people are the same. Add in sleep patterns, life patterns, throat size, neck size, age, blah blah. I've had AHIs of over 4 yet fell rested. And I've been surprised to see AHIs less than 1 yet I felt like I hadn't slept well at all.

Three, to get better advice on the screenshots, arrange your SH graphs like suggested here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Zoom in so we can see ~4 minutes. If it looks like OSA, then you need more pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI<4? Don't worry about it. Anxiety over getting to -0- is counterproductive. Sometimes good enough is good enough.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Given the consideration that an AHI under 5 is counted as treated, therapy now should concentrate on "How do you feel?". If you wake up feeling better for using the CPAP therapy, then you should IMO consider the goal being met, that is also contingent on reasonably consistent results. If therapy is not making you feel better, then using Sleepyhead to post data the chart gurus can assist via suggestions of setting edits to help make it where you do begin to feel better.
Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.