Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Nuance / Airfit P10
Humidifier: Airsense A10
CPAP Pressure: 9-16, average under 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Seasons here: Wintah, Mud, Road Repair, Wintah

Sex: Female

Can't see correlations
Looking at these graphs reminds me of reading tea leaves.

Trying really hard to understand what's going on here, but can't see how the various measurements relate to each other.

For all these nights, used the same mask - P10. Clean pillows every night, washed headgear every 6 days. Same chinstrap every night.

Settings were changed - which is another variable for which I can't discern the effects.

Are there other variables that are in play here that I'm not seeing? Or just that I don't understand how these measurements relate to each other?

04-29-2015 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: Can't see correlations
I find the data more useful when looking at the high rate data for a single night.
From that, I can see how flow limitation and snore are precursors to OSA.
I can also see if my pressure is maxing out.

On a day to day basis I compare mentally how each night differs.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-29-2015 11:06 AM
AirSign Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense A10 for her

justMongo, that's another strange thing -- my OSA tends to be quite low, but hypopnea is often frequent.

So, still napping once or twice a day. Those AHI rates are almost all above 5. I'm not new to CPAP, although the machine is new, so don't understand why my AHI is still so high. It's the hypopneas that push it up, I'm sure.
04-29-2015 11:17 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

(04-29-2015 11:17 AM)AirSign Wrote:  justMongo, that's another strange thing -- my OSA tends to be quite low, but hypopnea is often frequent.

So, still napping once or twice a day. Those AHI rates are almost all above 5. I'm not new to CPAP, although the machine is new, so don't understand why my AHI is still so high. It's the hypopneas that push it up, I'm sure.

AirSign,
If you would do a screenshot of the daily graph page, the one that shows events at top for a single day, including pressure graph, snore graph, flow limitation, and the chart to the left of the graphs. This is what is needed to answer your questions.
Smile

OpalRose
04-29-2015 12:40 PM
AirSign Offline

Preferred Members

OpalRose, I hope this is what you're asking for, but, when I made changes based on the one 4 days ago, I'm getting almost the same profile. I had to remove that one because this would have pushed me over the attachment limit.

Why, over 2 weeks, with attempts to control as many of the variables as possible, is there so much variation in the AHI, with a reading below 5 only twice?

I did notice that raising the starting pressure to 9 means that I seem to have a lot more leaking at the nasal pillows than before, or at least that I'm hearing it more. Even with using water-soluble sealing, every time.

04-29-2015 01:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

AirSign,
Did you have that many CA events before you raised your pressure? You can click the calendar to compare different days.

When I would change my pressure, I got a notebook and wrote down the changes I made. It is easier then to compare the graphs and data day to day.

I do see the high leak rate. One was around 3:00 am when you got up, wouldn't worry about it, but it looks like you had leaks going on all night. If you have a lot of high leaks, the data may not be accurate. You need to do what you can to control those leaks.

It doesn't look like your pressure (on this day) is maxing out. You may possibly be one of those people
that will get CA's with higher pressure, so need to watch that.

Hang in there, hopefully someone else will look at your graphs and give a different perspective than I
can. I know it's frustrating, but you've only been at it a short while.

Just noticed you said your not new to CPAP, just a new machine. What were your readings like on the machine you had prior?

OpalRose
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 02:17 PM by OpalRose.)
04-29-2015 02:14 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(04-29-2015 02:14 PM)OpalRose Wrote:  AirSign,
Did you have that many CA events before you raised your pressure? You can click the calendar to compare different days.

When I would change my pressure, I got a notebook and wrote down the changes I made. It is easier then to compare the graphs and data day to day.

I do see the high leak rate. One was around 3:00 am when you got up, wouldn't worry about it, but it looks like you had leaks going on all night. If you have a lot of high leaks, the data may not be accurate. You need to do what you can to control those leaks.

It doesn't look like your pressure (on this day) is maxing out. You may possibly be one of those people
that will get CA's with higher pressure, so need to watch that.

Hang in there, hopefully someone else will look at your graphs and give a different perspective than I
can. I know it's frustrating, but you've only been at it a short while.

Just noticed you said your not new to CPAP, just a new machine. What were your readings like on the machine you had prior?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-29-2015 02:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AirSign Offline

Preferred Members

Previous machine was a RemStar Model M and did not have the data. There is a credit-card in it, but when the MD read that in Encore [?] really all that was available was compliance data.

So this is the first time since this year's sleep study that I've had any information.

On the Jan 2015 titration study, interrupts went up at Pressure 11 then back down at Pressure 13. There's no record of 12. Clip of that is attached.

As for keeping a notebook, Sleepyhead already keeps a record of the changes to the settings which I can see on the Statistics page. I've included a clip as the 2nd image in my first post on this thread.

To answer your question, OpalRose, the CA [Clear Airway??] events were mostly 8 or 9 before the last changes to raise the start-up pressure and lower the EPR from 3 to 2. For the past 3 nights, they have been 16, 21, 23 in that order.

Have been using the same P10 mask, with the same routine, all the time. And, the same chinstrap. Why would I suddenly start having leaks? Unless it's got something to do with the settings.

Dont-know

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-29-2015 03:01 PM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

I'll have to review what you might have said in other posts, but from your overview I saw a distinct difference when you raised your start pressure, and regard it as positive - OA scores went way down (nice). You left plenty of room for pressure to increase if it needs to.

You now have several more days at the setting. Have the CA scores continued or subsided?

You may want to also review your TTIA (total time in apnea) in your overview as well. You may have increased the number of events, but each one could be shorter, resulting in less total time.

From the one day, the CAs looked like they come in clusters, the large leaks also seem to be confined to certain periods.

Large leak. My guess is that you probably purposely overpowered your chin strap and did mouth breathing during the large leak periods.

Higher CAs. You may not have been asleep during the periods of multiple CAs, although you probably were (asleep) if the individual CAs are in excess of 16 seconds. If you are getting mostly longer CAs, then the more likely cause is some sort of hyperventilation possibly related to transitioning to REM sleep.

Some support for the "CAs related to REM transition" theory is seen in your titration study - the periods at 10, 11, and 13, your oxygen minimums went down to 82 thru 84. All of those periods contained some REM sleep.

To sum up, it looks like you are doing good. Relax, and enjoy the sleep.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 05:53 AM by quiescence at last.)
05-05-2015 05:41 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

AirSign, here is an alternate way to post graphics that will not be limited by the forum size or attachment limits: https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

I'm in agreement with QAL, however I think you should experiment with reducing your EPR (exhale pressure relief) from 2 to zero or 1. The reason central apneas and hypopneas can occur is a low CO2 residual in your body that may reduce respiratory effort. EPR has the effect of improving ventilation, and in some people that can cause centrals. Reducing EPR is a worthwhile experiment to see if it affect your comfort, and if it improves CA and H events.

Overall, I think you're doing well to start, and controlling leaks should be your priority.

05-05-2015 08:17 AM